Circumventing the Cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
jb said:
Do you have a link that states they pay the rent for an acquired player?
They are given cars to use and yes it is a form of compensation because they are the sponsor for that particular dealer. They also recieve money from the dealership. They make appreances, sign items things of that nature. .

Gscarpenter has thankfully provided you with a link to READ. Let me know if you don't understand it wizard...

Again, everything with regard to cars/sponsors/signings/money is all considered compensation for a players promotional service.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
The NHL has no say on what is done in the NBA corect???

So if Toronto wants to sign Pronger for 3 mill thats his option...

and if Pronger appears in an NBA game helping out the NHL can't do anything about it... :teach:

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
jb said:
Without knowing any specifics of the CBA do you think teams will offer perks on top of the contract they sign that wouldn't be counted against the cap like: offering housing, cars, food allowance,pay them x amount of dollars to do a weekly q&A on their website, things of this nature.

Dog food allowance? (come on people, almost 30 replies and narry a Modano crack?)

jb**

blitzkriegs said:
Gscarpenter has thankfully provided you with a link to READ. Let me know if you don't understand it wizard...

Again, everything with regard to cars/sponsors/signings/money is all considered compensation for a players promotional service.
Can you find me were it states what you said previously, since I don't understand where to look for it. That compansation has nothing to do with the team correct?

GSC2k2*

joepeps said:
The NHL has no say on what is done in the NBA corect???

So if Toronto wants to sign Pronger for 3 mill thats his option...

and if Pronger appears in an NBA game helping out the NHL can't do anything about it... :teach:
Compensation will be defined as that received from a Team and Team Affiliates paid to a Player and Player Affiliates.

No offense, but your loophole attempts are kind of obvious and uncreative, frankly.

:teach: , my a**.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I posted this over on another board.

For example, let's say a team are trying to land a big name free-agent who is looking for roughly $5m a season. Unfortunately they only have $2.5m of space left under their cap, whereas a competing team has $4.5m. Would it be possible to do something like, offer the $2.5m and then have, let's say Gatorade, tack on an extra $2.5m in an endorsement offer in exchange for investing a certain amount in the endorsing company?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
blah said:
Can teams cut a player and then resign him?
You can't just cut a player- this ain't the NFL. Contracts are guaranteed - you have to buy him out at 2/3's (or whatever is the buyout %-age in the new CBA).

For the transition period, teams will be able to do a buyout and have it not count against the cap, but they won't be able to resign him.

After that, any future buyouts will count against the cap, although likely spread out over time, just like the buyout terms of the last CBA - 2/3's of the amount left on the contract paid out over 2x the number of years left. In this case, there would be no reason they couldn't resign him.

blah

Jun 24, 2003
Yeah that's what I was asking. Buy them out and resign them for 1/3 of their previous salary.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
blah said:
Yeah that's what I was asking. Buy them out and resign them for 1/3 of their previous salary.

You can't do that now - the no cap buyout window has a no resigning restriction.

Later, maybe. But what's to stop the player from taking the buyout, pocketing the $$$'s (2/3 of remaining salary), and then going to sign somewhere else for a lot more than the 1/3 - you buy him out, he becomes a UFA.

DINO22CICCARELLI

May 6, 2004
Unless your team is small market why would you worry? By the way it will be done and the big market wil be the ones to do it. How ? All under the table and using a third party to get it done. The league will have no power to stop it because they will have no proof of it being done.

The rich get richer and the rest will be forced out of the league. Anyway I for one am tired of all these SMALL TEAM crying and *itching they cannot compete. Either put up or get out. :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->