B-Sens Chris Wideman wins AHL top defenceman award

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Really wanted to see him get a few games. Will be annoyed if we don't re-sign him...

Oh well, can't complain too much, we've had a wild ride even if it did mean no chance to give him a few games late in the season to see what we have.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Wanted him in over Gryba but w.e,

Have fun on another team nex yr Chris

I'd like to see Gryba get a bit more credit for sticking Crosby in the balls, and then for springing Condra on that breakaway last night where he almost got a shot on goal.

So what is Wideman's deal again - UFA in the summer?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Wanted him in over Gryba but w.e,

Have fun on another team nex yr Chris

We could offer him a Boro type 2 year contract, where in the 2nd year it becomes a one-way. That might intice him to stay.

By year two, Phillips will be retired if not earlier, and Gryba will be a UFA, Wier a RFA. Might work for everyone involved.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
He will definitely replace Gryba this upcoming season.

Boro-Wideman is gonna be a good 3rd pair.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He and Boro could make a really nice 3rd pair. Boro played well with Karlsson and I feel he could play the same role with Wideman allowing him to do his thing. Adds another PP weapon too.

yoplait

May 4, 2011
What's his contract status like?

Havent watched him much in the AHL. Did he ever play with Boro last year (13-14)? How did they fare together?

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Yes, he is

Group 6 free agents (must be elected by the player): Players who have reached age 25, who have 3 accrued years of professional experience (that is, beyond junior or collegiate hockey), and whose contracts have expired, but have played less than: 80 NHL games played for forwards and defensemen.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I very much doubt they don't try very hard to retain him

What's his contract status like?

Group VI UFA, due to being 25+ and having 3 years of pro hockey under his belt.

If I were him I'd be looking for a new team that doesn't have so damn many defense men. We may try hard to retain him but this would be about more than money. Its a shame we never got to give him some games but that's an unfortunate by-product of this 'biggest game of the year' run

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Gryba could very well still get dealt

We have too many dmen, we could easily stand to trade two of them (Cowen/Weircioch + Gryba)

Gryba isn't as bad as most people believe on this board: pair Gryba with someone who can move the puck and he becomes much better

Lots of teams could use a guy like Gryba

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Wideman will most likely be included as part of the black aces during the playoffs. Anyone know what the number of players are that get included in the black aces?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I remembering hyping Wideman a bit after he got drafted. Haven't followed Binbgo as closely this season, but glad to see him break out. Would suck to lose him at this point, as I think he's got a definite NHL future. May never end up being more than a bottom pairing guy, but we could use a PMD/PP player to replace one of Gryba, Cowen, Boro or Phillips (probably Gryba in this scenario, but who knows).

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Wideman take the RD spot behind EK and Ceci. He's a right-handed puck moving defenceman and those are hard hard to come by.

I'm a big Gryba fan but his game is similar to Boro's and the bottom pairing desperately needs someone who can make that exit play regularly - we all know that Boro and Gryba get hemmed in regularly and need a lot of support from the forwards, when they don't get it they struggle b/c they both need the easy play.

If Phillips retires this summer, and I feel like he will, heck, maybe the team carries extra D again. But a move seems likely and I think Wideman is going to get signed. Maybe a Boro type future one-way deal, but to something.

Sometimes we look at these situations as negatives, e.g. "oh no we have too many NHL caliber goalies!," but it sure is nice to have so many able bodies.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad