Player Discussion Chris Tanev, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Asset management with Wierchioch. He has already been on the NHL roster for 29 days and if he hits 30 he will be waiver eligible again this year. No sense in doing that if he will just sit in the press box for a few games until either Tanev or Gudbranson come back. Sautner can be the popcorn guy in the press box. If they need a call up to actually play then Wierchioch would get the call.

And Sautner is 2nd choice because the guy Benning stashed here just for occasions like this, Holm, has a concussion. No head injury, no Sautner.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
Should have traded Tanev when they had the chance in the off-season....sure he's their best d-man....but with the punishment he takes and with injuries piling up, he won't be nearly as good by the time he's closing in on 30. Do him a favour and trade him to team with legitimate Cup aspirations. I'd even be willing to swallow my pride and see him go to the Leafs.

Couldn't agree more. What's more, the recent loss of Horvat and then Bartschi showed that Tanev isn't the only 'essential' that we need to replicate. His contract is wasted on this team for the coming years, while a viable semi-decent player who could provide similar leadership abilities can be had on the trade/free agent market. I'd rather overpay someone like Ian Cole $4m for 2 or 3 yrs while harvesting the remaining value from Tanev in prospects and draft picks...

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
I'd be leaning towards trading him.

I am Tanev's biggest fan, and I was against trading him, but these injuries are starting to pile up.

He NEEDS to be on a offensively gifted team who doesnt spend too much time in their own zone. Vancouver spends way too much time in its own zone and it is taking a toll on him.
I done with Tanev ..injury prone.
Trade him while you can get somthing for him now.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Tanev's injury history is becoming a huge red flag.....with the punishment he takes and the shots he blocks, he seems to be good for only about 50-60 games a season.It's too bad they lost Tryamkin, who can play either side.....I'm sure that otherwise Jimbo would be actively scouring the trade market for Tanev, and may still be doing so come the deadline.

Tanev is a right-shot, shutdown d-man who'd look pretty good on any team that has aspirations of a long playoff run.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Some WOWY Tanev stats.

Last season, the Canucks averaged 2.70 GA/GP with Tanev in the lineup. He missed 29 games and in those games the Canucks averaged 3.45 GA/GP.
This season, the Canucks averaged 2.92 GA/GP with Tanev in the linup. In the 12 games he has missed so far, the Canucks have averaged 4.00 GA/GP.

Combining the two seasons, the Canucks have played 78 games with Tanev and allowed 216 goals (2.77) compared to 41 Tanevless games where they've allowed 148 goals (3.61)

To put that into perspective, the "with Tanev" mark would have us around 15th in the NHL, whereas the Tanevless Canucks would be by far the worst in the NHL.

We have not had a shutout in any of the 41 games that Tanev has missed, while we've had 6 in the 78 that he's played.

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Some WOWY Tanev stats.

Last season, the Canucks averaged 2.70 GA/GP with Tanev in the lineup. He missed 29 games and in those games the Canucks averaged 3.45 GA/GP.
This season, the Canucks averaged 2.92 GA/GP with Tanev in the linup. In the 12 games he has missed so far, the Canucks have averaged 4.00 GA/GP.

Combining the two seasons, the Canucks have played 78 games with Tanev and allowed 216 goals (2.77) compared to 41 Tanevless games where they've allowed 148 goals (3.61)

To put that into perspective, the "with Tanev" mark would have us around 15th in the NHL, whereas the Tanevless Canucks would be by far the worst in the NHL.

We have not had a shutout in any of the 41 games that Tanev has missed, while we've had 6 in the 78 that he's played.
Dang. Those are some ugly numbers without Tanev.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Some WOWY Tanev stats.

while illustrative of tanev's importance to the team, id like to caution people that these are obviously subject to some variance that's making them a bit more pronounced. the differences in numbers here taken face value are like, beyond mcdavid level

Reactions: Nuckles

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
while illustrative of tanev's importance to the team, id like to caution people that these are obviously subject to some variance that's making them a bit more pronounced. the differences in numbers here taken face value are like, beyond mcdavid level

I know. It is interesting to me only because the samples are not overly small and they are fairly spread out, making their coincidences with other variables somewhat normalized.

If you break it down into the actual periods of injury it is surprisingly consistent.

Tanev is healthy to start last year: 2.43
Tanev is injured last November: 3.34
Tanev returns: 2.78
hurt again: 3.84
finishes the season: 3.16
start of this season: 2.46
without: 3.43
with: 3.22
without: 4.80

That's a pretty established trend of our GA drastically shooting up as soon as he gets hurt and then falling down when he returns, moreso than I would expect and moreso than is even reasonable to associate with his impact.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Tanev's injury history is becoming a huge red flag.....with the punishment he takes and the shots he blocks, he seems to be good for only about 50-60 games a season.It's too bad they lost Tryamkin, who can play either side.....I'm sure that otherwise Jimbo would be actively scouring the trade market for Tanev, and may still be doing so come the deadline.

Tanev is a right-shot, shutdown d-man who'd look pretty good on any team that has aspirations of a long playoff run.

If Tanev gets traded, the chances of him being healthier and play a lot more games is pretty high. Let's look at some history:

Dan Hamhuis. His last two seasons here, he played less than 60 games. In his almost 1 1/2 seasons with the Ducks? he has missed 5 games!

Kevin Bieksa, he missed 6 games due to a hand injury from fighting, but as a Duck, he's had 71 and 81 games for the Ducks. So much for his body breaking down too.

Guys who are formerly healthy tend to arrive here and suffer injury-riddled seasons.

Loui Eriksson, besides suffering from a concussion his first year as a Bruin has missed very few games in his career.

Same with Brandon Sutter. The guy basically can be counted on to play 80+ games. He gets here and he's missed substantial number of games in 2 out of his 3 seasons here.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I'd be all for trading him if we could ever get proper value. As this thread illustrates, we are in a lot better draft position without him in the lineup. Problem is, I don't ever see us getting a trade that would be worth it. Dmen who score so few points are underrated.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
If Tanev gets traded, the chances of him being healthier and play a lot more games is pretty high. Let's look at some history:

Dan Hamhuis. His last two seasons here, he played less than 60 games. In his almost 1 1/2 seasons with the Ducks? he has missed 5 games!

Kevin Bieksa, he missed 6 games due to a hand injury from fighting, but as a Duck, he's had 71 and 81 games for the Ducks. So much for his body breaking down too.

Guys who are formerly healthy tend to arrive here and suffer injury-riddled seasons.

Loui Eriksson, besides suffering from a concussion his first year as a Bruin has missed very few games in his career.

Same with Brandon Sutter. The guy basically can be counted on to play 80+ games. He gets here and he's missed substantial number of games in 2 out of his 3 seasons here.

...and then there's Willie Mitchell...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Well, there goes the Tanev to TO rumors, now that they've acquired Muzzin. I have a feeling that when it comes to trades, Jimbo will wait too long once again and watch all the big deals come down well before the trade deadline.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
The time to trade Tanev was years ago. We aren’t going to get much for him IMO, even if we did move him. His durability issues is a huge worry. I personally wouldn’t be paying top assets for a wildcard.

He’s 29 years old, and hasn’t played over 70 games in a season let alone gone through the grind of a Cup run or even a couple rounds. He also provides very, very little offense.

He’s a RHD signed to a pretty decent deal and he’s a solid defensemen, so he has that going for him but I feel like the other issues outweigh the good.

In comparison to Muzzin...Muzzin has hit 40 points three times and is a safe bet for 20 points minimum a season. Signed to a similar deal and is far more durable. Muzzin is also the same age. Muzzin has also shown he can be a key cog to a Cup winning team.

What is Tanev even worth? What are people here expecting as a return for Tanev? IMO, Tanev doesn’t get half as much as Muzzin just did.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
The time to trade Tanev was years ago. We aren’t going to get much for him IMO, even if we did move him. His durability issues is a huge worry. I personally wouldn’t be paying top assets for a wildcard.

He’s 29 years old, and hasn’t played over 70 games in a season let alone gone through the grind of a Cup run or even a couple rounds. He also provides very, very little offense.

He’s a RHD signed to a pretty decent deal and he’s a solid defensemen, so he has that going for him but I feel like the other issues outweigh the good.

In comparison to Muzzin...Muzzin has hit 40 points three times and is a safe bet for 20 points minimum a season. Signed to a similar deal and is far more durable. Muzzin is also the same age. Muzzin has also shown he can be a key cog to a Cup winning team.

What is Tanev even worth? What are people here expecting as a return for Tanev? IMO, Tanev doesn’t get half as much as Muzzin just did.
A 2nd +3rd or 2nd+B prospect is what I expect
If we actually trade him

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Timing-wise, I think Tanev is a guy you ideally trade at the deadline. Teams need to see that he's healthy when the playoffs are approaching; that's really the only way we'll get fair value for him. Realistically though, we're looking at a return less than that of Jake Muzzin's. I'd easily take a 2nd + AHL role player over nothing.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
I think Tanev would be a perfect fit for Winnipeg.

I don't know what else we'd have to give up to pry Trouba from their hands but I think a deal could be made around these two that was beneficial for both teams.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm afraid I don't have much faith Benning could deal Tanev and get anything of decent value in return. I agree the time to have dealt Tanev was a few years back, when you might have fetched a first rounder, a solid prospect and either another pick or B-level prospect. But those days are long gone.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
I think Tanev would be a perfect fit for Winnipeg.

I don't know what else we'd have to give up to pry Trouba from their hands but I think a deal could be made around these two that was beneficial for both teams.
I think Nashville makes a lot of sense for Tanev. After Subban and Ellis, they have Yannick Weber on the right side....and nothing on the farm. If they continue to lean on their top 4 for so much of the heavy lifting, they're going to burn out again. Tanev + Goldobin for Fabbro and a 1st?

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Well, there goes the Tanev to TO rumors, now that they've acquired Muzzin. I have a feeling that when it comes to trades, Jimbo will wait too long once again and watch all the big deals come down well before the trade deadline.
Good. Toronto is not the only nhl team he could be traded too..if they where going to.But really right now ,,while he is healthy..I would be asking teams if they where interested..

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
I think Nashville makes a lot of sense for Tanev. After Subban and Ellis, they have Yannick Weber on the right side....and nothing on the farm. If they continue to lean on their top 4 for so much of the heavy lifting, they're going to burn out again. Tanev + Goldobin for Fabbro and a 1st?
Big yes for that. Doubt Nashville does tho

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Carl Grundstrom is a perfect example of B prospect, someone’s ceiling is a complementary player on a cup team

Okay, was just trying to gauge what kind of prospect you were thinking. There may be a team to give that but I don’t know, I have my doubts.

Tanev brings more value to the team rather than what we could get for him in trade. Like Edler, the time to trade Tanev was years ago but the Canucks once again sat on their hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->