Chris Summer

insider

Nov 14, 2003
Here are some HFboards quotes that I kept.

Another sleeper, IMO. Summers could end up as the best defenseman in the draft after Erik Johnson. He is the full package. He's mean, he's nasty, he loves to hit and loves the rough stuff. He's also a VERY good skater and is one of the better passers on the backline. I hesitated putting him before Sanguinetti, as I know that everyone has a love fest for his offense, but I just like Summers' overall game a lot more than Bobby's. I think his vision is actually one of his better qualities. Thing is, he doesn't make the best choices right now as to go for the big hit or just to sit tight and wait for it to come to him. Same with his offense. He doesn't ALWAYS make the right choice. He's young and probably needs a bit of seasoning, but I think it could definately be something he could improve on.

Potential: #2/3 defenseman or 3rd line C depending on what teams draft him for. Pros: Great vision, solid skating and top end speed, is strong as a bull on the ice, picks his spots fairly well, can pass with the best of the prospects in the draft. Cons: Sometimes makes the safe play when he should take a chance, needs to shoot more and develop his shot which has decent speed, needs more NASTY in his game

Competitor with leadership, shows a mean streak and hits harder than his size would indicate. Smart player both ways with good offensive instincts as well as defensively. Either you like him or you don’t.

turnbuckle*

insider said:
Here are some HFboards quotes that I kept.
He's mean, he's nasty, he loves to hit and loves the rough stuff....... needs more NASTY in his game

Obviously some conflicting opinions :).

I think he's one of the draft's real sleepers. Me seems to be climbing up the draft charts and it wouldn't surprise me to see him being the second defenceman selected in the draft.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
From Redline's article on the top defencemen in the draft:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/woodlief/2006-06-14-draft-defensemen_x.htm

"Summers is vastly underrated, but there's much to like about his game. Start with excellent footwork, strong hockey smarts, and good puck moving skills, and add in a nasty streak and a penchant for big hits. Summers plays the game hard and is a team-first guy at all times."

They rate him 3rd amonngst d-men.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Talent Analyst said:
Do you guys think that he will be avaible for the Habs at 17e position ???

One thing is for sure, he is not expected to go into the top-15, although it wouldn't be a huge surprise to me, as his stock raised by miles after his U-18 performance.

But yeah, there is a strong possibility that Montreal could select him with the 16th overall pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad