Chris Neil Hit on Willie Mitchell

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Do you guys remember the hit on Mitchell toward the end of the first? I don't. I'll have to go back on the DVR to check it out when I get home. I didn't see it on Youtube. It must not have been that big of a hit...? Here's hoping that he feels better soon.

KingKopitar11*

Do you guys remember the hit on Mitchell toward the end of the first? I don't. I'll have to go back on the DVR to check it out when I get home. I didn't see it on Youtube. It must not have been that big of a hit...? Here's hoping that he feels better soon.

Yeah I saw it. It was more of a check to the shoulder and Mitchell didn't go head first into the boards. You wouldn't expect a concussion from a hit that was a bit mild. Can't believe that hit really rung his head. Must be a really delicate case. He really needs to consider retiring. I don't know how much more impact his brain can take.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah I saw it. It was more of a check to the shoulder and Mitchell didn't go head first into the boards. You wouldn't expect a concussion from a hit that was a bit mild. Can't believe that hit really rung his head. Must be a really delicate case. He really needs to consider retiring. I don't know how much more impact his brain can take.

Yeah, if it's the same one I'm thinking of, it really wasn't much. Looked like he got his arm/shoulder tweaked more than anything, so maybe it's the wrong one? :dunno:

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Maybe it caused some sort of whiplash motion to his neck/head?

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Yeah, if it's the same one I'm thinking of, it really wasn't much. Looked like he got his arm/shoulder tweaked more than anything, so maybe it's the wrong one? :dunno:

I'm no expert on concussion, but I believe once you've been concussed, you can be concussed again without being hit to the head.

A hard impact to the upper body can have a vibrating effect to the head and thus the recurrence of it.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Oh yeah, it doesn't take much especially once you've been concussed, I just mean it was so routine it's hard to believe that was the hit.

Then again, Chris Neil hitting anywhere near me would probably decapitate me, so maybe we shouldn't be surprised.

Poor Mitchell, though. Get well soon. The guy has worked so hard to just play the game he loves.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I'm no expert on concussion, but I believe once you've been concussed, you can be concussed again without being hit to the head.

A hard impact to the upper body can have a vibrating effect to the head and thus the recurrence of it.

Kind of. A concussion is simply when you are struck hard enough that your brain impacts your skull. So it can happen even the first time without being hit in the head. Any motion that jars your head or neck hard enough to cause that to happen can give you a concussion. There is some supporting evidence that after one concussion you become more susceptible to another, but that is mostly early research and it's treated as more of an everyone is different type of thing.
Take Gagne for instance who apparently had a growth in his neck that putting pressure on those neck muscles, which in turn was possibly making him more prone to a concussion because the impact didn't need to be as severe to cause his neck to whiplash. So yeah you're sort of mostly right and I just wanted to clarify.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00