News Article: Chris Ilitch noncommittal on Holland’s return

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If we land Dahlin, does that increase the chances of keeping around Holland, Wright, and everyone else?

I hope not. I like to think that they already have a fair idea of how they want the front office to play out this summer, regardless of whether or not Holland stays. If we get Dahlin, awesome. If we don't, well, we keep going with whoever is in charge. If getting lucky in the lotto radically changes the organizations management plans I would lose some faith in the organization.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Pretty sure it doesn't hurt, Landing a big fish like Dahlin would be a very good thing for Holland, Wright and Company.
we are not going to "land Dahlin." Hoping for a lottery win as your "plan A" in any area of life or business is dumb. We are going to lose the lottery, draft 5-6 or lower and enjoy the results of this idiotic "tank" movement that so many here seem to cheer for for decades to come. Instead of addressing coaching issues (hiring a better coach who knows how to use the players we have) and drafting smartly to fill the gaps we have, we are pinning our hopes of getting a 17 y/0 kid who will be supposed to solve all our problems. Dream on!...

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Better to pin our hopes on some middling draft pick, eh

Besides, this is besides the point and has nothing to do with, in the event that we actually get Dahlin, how it affects the outlook of management

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Better to pin our hopes on some middling draft pick, eh

Besides, this is besides the point and has nothing to do with, in the event that we actually get Dahlin, how it affects the outlook of management
no, better to pin our hopes on a coach who knows what he is doing when he makes lines and on a systematic filling of holes which we have. Pittsburg did not win two cups in a row just because of Crosby and Malkin. They had system.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
we are not going to "land Dahlin." Hoping for a lottery win as your "plan A" in any area of life or business is dumb. We are going to lose the lottery, draft 5-6 or lower and enjoy the results of this idiotic "tank" movement that so many here seem to cheer for for decades to come. Instead of addressing coaching issues (hiring a better coach who knows how to use the players we have) and drafting smartly to fill the gaps we have, we are pinning our hopes of getting a 17 y/0 kid who will be supposed to solve all our problems. Dream on!...

When you're rolling Crosby and Malkin 40 minutes a game down the middle, you're golden.

Having elite, world-class centers is the best way to win a cup

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
drafting smartly
This is literally the only thing in your post that's a good idea.

What you're not getting is that even if you don't get Dahlin, you still get a very good, high upside player in that range. The Wings have almost none of those kind of prospects. Good teams don't just appear. They're drafted, and their cores are drafted early. The Wings need to draft early to build a core.

If you still have DeKeyser on your top pairing, it doesn't matter who your coach is.

Reactions: jkutswings
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
no, better to pin our hopes on a coach who knows what he is doing when he makes lines and on a systematic filling of holes which we have. Pittsburg did not win two cups in a row just because of Crosby and Malkin. They had system.
They had a system that wouldn't have worked without Crosby and Malkin. But we don't have a Crosby or a Malkin. Not one, and certainly not two. Do you see the problem?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Custance profiled the top Assistant GM's ready for promotion

Top 5 was:

1.) Paul Fenton, Nashville
2.) Julien BriseBois, Tampa Bay
3.) Tom Fitzgerald, Dallas
4.) Bill Guerin, Pittsburgh
5.) Kyle Dubas, Toronto

Would be very happy with either of those first 2.
Spot on. If I had to name 3 guys today, it would be Fenton, Brisebois, and Shero, and probably in that order.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Top 5 was:

5.) Kyle Dubas, Toronto

Just please don't let it be Draper.

Nothing against him but now more than ever the Red Wings organization needs to hire the best candidate available and not just draw from a pool of former players and employees.

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
1-year deal does not prevent any Seattle plans. It would be almost too idealistic. He could be at Detroit for 2018-19 and still concentrate a full year from 2019 summer for an expansion draft year later at 2020.

The possibility of a 1 year deal is such a frustrating thought. Sit on our rear ends waiting for another year just so Holland has something to busy himself with before Seattle? No x-ing way.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015

Top 5 was:

5.) Kyle Dubas, Toronto

Paul Fenton please, specializes in drafting. Exactly what we need for the rebuild. BriseBois is more a cap guru, which is great and has been a huge problem for us but right now drafting is the number one trait I want in our new gm

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The possibility of a 1 year deal is such a frustrating thought. Sit on our rear ends waiting for another year just so Holland has something to busy himself with before Seattle? No x-ing way.
And a new GM is going to do.. what? Sitting and waiting and drafting and developing is pretty much it right now.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Just please don't let it be Draper.

Nothing against him but now more than ever the Red Wings organization needs to hire the best candidate available and not just draw from a pool of former players and employees.

Noone knows what Draper would be like though. He could be the next Yzerman for all anyone knows, I would give him a chance as a fan if he got promoted but wont be mad if its Fenton or Brisebois either

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing

Top 5 was:

5.) Kyle Dubas, Toronto

Mark Hunter should be in there too, he did more than tremendous job in London. And im sure he wants to be GM in NHL too some day, Dubas most likely takes over Louie's job in Toronto.

I dont know if i remember right, but i believe someone said that Hunter doesn't wanna move very from London. Not sure if this true, but Detroit is not far away....

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Noone knows what Draper would be like though. He could be the next Yzerman for all anyone knows, I would give him a chance as a fan if he got promoted but wont be mad if its Fenton or Brisebois either

I've come around on the idea of Draper, I would also give it a chance.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
And a new GM is going to do.. what? Sitting and waiting and drafting and developing is pretty much it right now.

For one thing I don't want Holland running the ship anymore. A new GM takes over with motivation to implement their vision now, instead of waiting a year twiddling their thumbs. Holland at that point is a lame-duck. If he's staying then stay, if he plans on leaving in a year than the Wings should move forward immediately with a plan. I agree with what was said about waiting on Babcock's decision to stay or go; it was weak and proved a lack of direction.

If the plan is for Draper to be the new GM than go ahead with the promotion now instead of a year later.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I've come around on the idea of Draper, I would also give it a chance.

I played with him in an alumni event. He partied and laughed it up with the rest of the guys, but you could sense he was holding back. Draper comes across as your average joe but I think he's a lot sharper than he lets on.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Unfortunately the Wings are gonna promote from within.

Dear lord we are becoming the Oilers.

I do hope we look for someone from the outside. We really need an outsiders perspective/review on this organizations current prospects, scouting team, and future plans. Also an outside GM won't have the attachment to players like a current hire from within person might have.

EDIT: Does anyone remember a quote from Holland years ago about how he wanted to build a team of 20G scorers? Think it was a few years into the cap era but he thought it was going to come down to having lots of depth vs having a few superstars and building around them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida

Top 5 was:

5.) Kyle Dubas, Toronto

Hmm, Bill Guerin. I wonder if he can bailout Detroit huehuehue.

In all seriousness though, 1,2, and 5 would all make me excited. Don't know enough about Fitzgerald or Guerin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad