News Article: Chris Chelios on Babcock: Veteran FA's don't want to play for Babcock

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Wings legend Chris Chelios confirmed those speculations in an interview with 97.1 The Ticket’s Jeff Riger during Detroit’s game against the Tampa Bay Lightning on Friday.

“No veteran free agent is going to want to come in and play for Mike Babcock,†Chelios said. “I wanted to because I wanted to stay in Detroit, but no matter what I did — I tried so hard to win his heart over and I just couldn’t.â€

Chelios said the team’s impending move to Little Caesars Arena could help lure some of those players back to the Motor City.

“I think it’s going to help a lot and I think it’s going to help even more that Babs is gone because those free agents really didn’t want to play for Babs,†Chelios said. “It’s nothing personal, but he’s a tough guy to play for, especially for a veteran. If you’re a young guy I think it’s great because of his accountability and if you don’t play [hard] you’re not gonna play.â€

The Red Wings and Babcock would eventually part ways in 2015. He would go on to coach the Toronto Maple Leafs and Detroit promoted Jeff Blashill from Grand Rapids.

“He didn’t like a lot of people,†Chelios said.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2017/03...ngs-might-lure-free-agents-now-that-hes-gone/

Chelios confirms what a lot of people have speculated over the years, that vet free agents are often turned off from playing for Babcock. Just found it interesting that an actual member of the Red Wings organization is saying this as a lot of people said it was hogwash. Obviously if you are a great team (which the Red Wings haven't been recently) FA's will want to come regardless of who the coach is, but for the other 20 teams in the NHL that aren't great the coach could definitely be a factor in who decides to play where.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2017/03...ngs-might-lure-free-agents-now-that-hes-gone/

Chelios confirms what a lot of people have speculated over the years, that vet free agents are often turned off from playing for Babcock. Just found it interesting that an actual member of the Red Wings organization is saying this as a lot of people said it was hogwash. Obviously if you are a great team (which the Red Wings haven't been recently) FA's will want to come regardless of who the coach is, but for the other 20 teams in the NHL that aren't great the coach could definitely be a factor in who decides to play where.

The first indication was when Shannahan took the first bus out of Detroit and went to the Devils soon after Babcock was brought in. Then later on Filpulla bolted out of the D.

Also our vets, Holland and Ilitch himself had to romance the hell out of players to get them to come here. Remember Modano and Alfredsson? Even Suter wanted no part of Detroit despite how much romance Mike Ilitch himself gave Ryan Suter.

It was clear at that point vets didn't want anything to do with Mike Babcock.

EDIT:

What's interesting is Shannahan, Cheli and etc... could play under Scotty Bowman who was a hardass in his own right. But he probably did it to where it made sense to the players and winning. From the stuff I remember about Mike Babcock is he played head games and players didn't know what to expect from him.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Suter has nothing to do with Babcock.

Also, the Toronto media is a much bigger factor than the coach. Remember how much Murphy threw shade at them after winning in 97?

Wish I could find the clip.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Mike Commodore said a while back that he feels like signing in Detroit was the move that really killed whatever was left of his career because of how Babcock treated veterans. I know he was already well on his way out, but it makes sense that this is out in the open now.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The first indication was when Shannahan took the first bus out of Detroit and went to the Devils soon after Babcock was brought in. Then later on Filpulla bolted out of the D.

Also our vets, Holland and Ilitch himself had to romance the hell out of players to get them to come here. Remember Modano and Alfredsson? Even Suter wanted no part of Detroit despite how much romance Mike Ilitch himself gave Ryan Suter.

EDIT:

What's interesting is Shannahan, Cheli and etc... could play under Scotty Bowman who was a hardass in his own right. But he probably did it to where it made sense to the players and winning. From the stuff I remember about Mike Babcock is he played head games and players didn't know what to expect from him.

Suter had nothing to do with Babcock. Your claim that Shanny left because of Babs is totally speculation. And you realize Shanahan hired Babcock in Toronto, right?

It's no surprise Babs was a hardass. So was Bowman. Can you imagine the country club atmosphere the Wings would have if they had Holland handing out lifetime contracts AND a coach who wanted to be your friend?

This just sounds like you're trying to pin Holland's recent failures as a GM on Babcock.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Even Suter wanted no part of Detroit despite how much romance Mike Ilitch himself gave Ryan Suter.

huh?

suter was extremely close to signing with Detroit until parise convinced him at the last minute to go with him to Minnesota

had nothing to do with babcock

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013

EDIT:

And now you think anyone, vets or not, wants to join the clown-circus that is Babcock-wannabe Blabhill??

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Looking at the Leafs roster I don't think Babcock is going to care if veterans want to come to Toronto. Heck, the veteran FA's will probably look at that roster and jump on board.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I remember when Jagr was on the market and was considering Detroit, supposedly Babcock had a conversation with him on the phone that somewhat scared him away. Anyways, I don't think that was the main issue though, lot of players did not like playing for Bowman either, yet they still signed here. The truth is the team sucks now, back then we were a semi-dynasty and many players signed with us for a shot to win the cup, this is no longer the case. Also Detroit is not exactly a desirable city to live in so that's even more salt to the injury.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
He's not really dissing babs. Just saying he's super tough and vets don't want that. He also said babs is great for rookies/young players

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
He's not really dissing babs. Just saying he's super tough and vets don't want that. He also said babs is great for rookies/young players

That's your spin.

He's absolutely slamming him.

Chelios will be our next coach ( I hope).

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Your claim that Shanny left because of Babs is totally speculation. And you realize Shanahan hired Babcock in Toronto, right?

I am fairly sure I remember rumors about Shanahan and Babcock but I might be wrong about that. If there were rumors it's not some wildly random speculation out of thin air.

Also, even if it's 100% true that Shanahan had problems with Babcock as a coach, that in no way means he wouldn't hire Babcock in Toronto. There is a world of difference between not wanting to play for a guy and wanting a guy to run your team. Shanahan may not like Babcock personally or ever want to play for him again, but he can't deny that Babcock's record is stellar and was one of the best coaches available at the time. That would speak to a savvy "president of hockey operations" or whatever they're calling him. He doesn't let personal issues get in the way of assembling a good team.
That's how I read it too. He doesn't in any way say Babs is a bad coach. Just he's hard to play for, especially with veterans. Chelios isn't exactly Mike Commodore in this regard. He's an all-time great player who's had a lot of success. His opinion on this should be noted.
I remember when Jagr was on the market and was considering Detroit, supposedly Babcock had a conversation with him on the phone that somewhat scared him away. Anyways, I don't think that was the main issue though, lot of players did not like playing for Bowman either, yet they still signed here. The truth is the team sucks now, back then we were a semi-dynasty and many players signed with us for a shot to win the cup, this is no longer the case. Also Detroit is not exactly a desirable city to live in so that's even more salt to the injury.
I think that's true 100%. You would put up with a lot if you thought you had a legit chance at the cup. We see that all the time. The coach is just one factor. Location, familiarity, franchise strength, money, all other factors.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I am fairly sure I remember rumors about Shanahan and Babcock but I might be wrong about that. If there were rumors it's not some wildly random speculation out of thin air.

Also, even if it's 100% true that Shanahan had problems with Babcock as a coach, that in no way means he wouldn't hire Babcock in Toronto. There is a world of difference between not wanting to play for a guy and wanting a guy to run your team. Shanahan may not like Babcock personally or ever want to play for him again, but he can't deny that Babcock's record is stellar and was one of the best coaches available at the time. That would speak to a savvy "president of hockey operations" or whatever they're calling him. He doesn't let personal issues get in the way of assembling a good team.

I definitely remember there being speculation on Wings forums, but that's it. It's still total speculation.

My memory is Shanny talked about it being a changing of the guard with the Wings, which is definitely what it felt like at the time. It was becoming Datsyuk and Zetterberg's team, and Shanny was a big presence from the previous Cups. Plus he obviously had career aspirations beyond just being a player so New York made a lot of sense.

Like I said, I'm guessing Babcock isn't a touchy feely coach but he gets results. What kind of free agents would he drive away? Guys who have a compete level like Zetterberg? Guys who want to win the Cup? Or free agents who are looking for a comfortable place to play for their last 4 or 5 years?

I doubt it's the first two and I'm ok if it's the last one.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
And now you think anyone, vets or not, wants to join the clown-circus that is Babcock-wannabe Blabhill??

Call him a wannabe but those two people have very different personalities and approaches on maintaining relationships with players.

Also as others have said, I think Babcock had close to no impact on Suter signing with Minnesota. We just never put a competitive offer out there to his buddy Parise, and that ended up being the nail in the coffin. I do think our pitch almost worked regardless, just ask Ricelund how close we were ;)

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

:laugh: Leafs were the worst team in the league last year and are in the playoffs. Jeff "golden boy" Blashill took a team on a 25 year playoff streak and turned it into one of the worst 5 teams in the league this season. So now the Wings organization has to throw shade at Babcock.

I'm sure he's concerned having a young roster of elite talent. He'll stay classy, it's easy to do when you get the hell out of dodge and move on to a team on the rise in a city where he will be deified. They should have asked Cheli if the organization should have kept Dave Lewis as coach. :popcorn:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

This is a point that bothers me. The suburbs of Detroit are some of the nicest places to live in the world. Since he is talking about veteran FAs in this quote it is also worth pointing out the lack of nightlife to those guys isn't as intriguing as living in the Suburbs and the fabulous schools and spacious properties available for families.

There is a main board thread where people are espousing similar stuff. The Wings are going to be an O6 team, with the nicest building in the league and an organization that rules the local media with an iron fist.

We wondered why some guys were no longer signing here. What did we target the last two off-seasons? The best center to hit free agency came to Detroit. The best puck-mover came to Detroit. That is just since Babcock's departure, so I am buying what Chelios is selling. We have seen it to a certain degree even if it isn't Ryan Suter or Stamkos making it here like we all dream for.

I am not sure we should be actively engaged in free agency anyway right now. That will have to be decided by management and ownership, but I think we should probably bargain bin it and go with our youth next year.

Babcock is a tough guy to play for. There are several players that lineup to throw shade on him over the years. Which for the record makes him totally different than Bowman, who is embraced for his tough ways. Scotty turned me into X and even if I hated him some of the time that was wonderful. What Chelios is saying, what Filppula has got at isn't that he is creating admiration or turning hate towards himself to necessarily better the team. They just flat out don't like him and still don't like him... Really winning just one cup here was sort of a disappointment anyway for those saying just buck up and deal, we should have gotten more than one cup between 06-12 in my opinion.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
:laugh: Leafs were the worst team in the league last year and are in the playoffs. Jeff "golden boy" Blashill took a team on a 25 year playoff streak and turned it into one of the worst 5 teams in the league this season. So now the Wings organization has to throw shade at Babcock.

I'm sure he's concerned having a young roster of elite talent. He'll stay classy, it's easy to do when you get the hell out of dodge and move on to a team on the rise in a city where he will be deified. They should have asked Cheli if the organization should have kept Dave Lewis as coach. :popcorn:

A coach without talent on the roster is nothing but a sitting duck. Babcock left Detroit at the right time, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Kronwall still had their legs but were pushing up in age and injuries. They had some decent players around them but there was no special talent like them to take over. Also I would argue that Detroit would have easily missed the playoffs last year if it wasn't the the performances of Larkin and Mrazek in the first half of the season, because the whole team sucked.

I guarantee you that without drafting Matthews and the emergence of Marner, Toronto would not be in the playoffs this year. Their core up front is very strong, this is something Babcock can work with.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
This is a point that bothers me. The suburbs of Detroit are some of the nicest places to live in the world. Since he is talking about veteran FAs in this quote it is also worth pointing out the lack of nightlife to those guys isn't as intriguing as living in the Suburbs and the fabulous schools and spacious properties available for families.

I'm not sure if they're some of the best in the world, but I'm with you on them being great places to live in for families. I have a lot of family that live in the Sterling Heights/Troy/Warren junction, and I agree that these are great suburbs to raise families in and living a quiet life. Mind you a rich athlete is likely going to live in a place like Bloomfield Hills for example, which is top notch no doubt.

Anyways, I think it ultimately comes down to how good the team is, if we're consistently competing for the cup, they'll come regardless of the coach or city.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Mike Commodore said a while back that he feels like signing in Detroit was the move that really killed whatever was left of his career because of how Babcock treated veterans. I know he was already well on his way out, but it makes sense that this is out in the open now.

i wouldn't put a lot of value on stuff that mike commodore has to say.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Really winning just one cup here was sort of a disappointment anyway for those saying just buck up and deal, we should have gotten more than one cup between 06-12 in my opinion.

At times when people are praising Babcock to the skies as the ultimate winner, I can't help but wonder why there isn't more discussion of this. Frankly, he underperformed here. He got his one and only Cup with a team that was heads and shoulders above the rest of the league that year--not quite in a Team Canada kind of way, but not too far off. I'd be way more impressed if he can take Toronto all the way (though I'll probably have to suppress my gag reflex).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
At times when people are praising Babcock to the skies as the ultimate winner, I can't help but wonder why there isn't more discussion of this. Frankly, he underperformed here. He got his one and only Cup with a team that was heads and shoulders above the rest of the league that year--not quite in a Team Canada kind of way, but not too far off. I'd be way more impressed if he can take Toronto all the way (though I'll probably have to suppress my gag reflex).

Would have had easy back to back Cup wins if Lidstrom and Datsyuk weren't banged up, and the league didn't screw us with scheduling in the Finals in 09.

I think Babcock deserves some credit for getting the playoff streak to 25 years with some lean years, including both Datsyuk and Z being out half the season in 13-14.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->