Chris Bourque

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
I can't remember exactly his ranking pre-draft, but among North American skaters, he was around 50-70; which logically should have seen him go around the 5th round. So yes, his standing, I would say, was improved by his surname.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Freaky Habs Fan said:
Martin St-Louis, Saku Koivu, Derek Roy and many others are in the NHL and are damn small...not a good point dude :shakehead

Dude's like Martin St.Louis and Theo Fleury who make the NHL at their height's are usually out-of-this world skilled, and great skaters. Now to be fair, I've never seen Bourque play live but I'm damn sure he's not as talented as fellow 5'7 players like St.Louis and Gionta.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
If determination has anything to do with it the kid will be a star.

When he was drafted most Cap fans screamed, "We wasted an early 2nd rounder!"
Today, most Caps fans can't wait to see what happens with Chris Borque. He seems to have everything you'd look for in a hockey player except height. From all accounts he was very impressive in camp this summer.

I personally am happy as can be with the pick. It's a gamble but if the kid pans out you have a potential star along with Ray Bourque hanging around the locker room.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Bourque was named one of the top ten incoming freshman this year by INCH, 2nd or 3rd I think. Although I've never seen him play, so I can't say anything about him

db23

Chris Bourque will do just fine. He will probably make the NHL ahead of half the guys drafted ahead of him.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
He's super confident. He told Ted (Caps owner) when they drafted him that he will make him sorry he didn't pick him 1st overall. :lol

Wouldn't that be somethin?

I wouldn't bet against the kid.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
I hope Chris Bourque will be good, but ya i shocked seeing him taken on the board so early, i thought he would definetley fall in the 4th round +. But the kid has put up some good numbers in USHS hopefully will do the same in the NCAA

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
He is good enough to be a second round pick.

33 may be high for him, but the Caps decided they had to take him there because they knew another team (Boston) was trying to trade up to take him before they would have picked next.

Same reason Wheeler was picked at 5, because the Isles wanted him, and Phoenix couldnt trade down.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
JohnGalt said:
He's super confident. He told Ted (Caps owner) when they drafted him that he will make him sorry he didn't pick him 1st overall. :lol

Wouldn't that be somethin?

I wouldn't bet against the kid.

:shakehead

Un-necessary cockiness, not useful confidence.

Prucha73

His numbers weren't that much better than Billy Ryan's who was his linemate I guess and was taken in the 3rd round by the Rangers.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
JohnGalt said:
If determination has anything to do with it the kid will be a star.

When he was drafted most Cap fans screamed, "We wasted an early 2nd rounder!"
Today, most Caps fans can't wait to see what happens with Chris Borque. He seems to have everything you'd look for in a hockey player except height. From all accounts he was very impressive in camp this summer.

I personally am happy as can be with the pick. It's a gamble but if the kid pans out you have a potential star along with Ray Bourque hanging around the locker room.

I'll vouch for this story. I was sick at heart for a week after the draft because of the bourque pick. I had desperately wanted this pick to be used on Fransson at the time of the draft. A little while later I had the chance to see the caps prospect camp and Bourque impressed the hell out of me. He really reminds me a lot of St.Louis. I doubt he make the same impact, but he plays the same style.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Captain Conservative said:
I'll vouch for this story. I was sick at heart for a week after the draft because of the bourque pick. I had desperately wanted this pick to be used on Fransson at the time of the draft. A little while later I had the chance to see the caps prospect camp and Bourque impressed the hell out of me. He really reminds me a lot of St.Louis. I doubt he make the same impact, but he plays the same style.

I can't say I'm surprised those outside the Washington area jump the gun and call this a blown pick. They're just spewing out mediocre sightless media garbage, which should be expected.

Bourque was the most impressive player at the Caps' rookie camp, which included probably the most talented assortment of prospects in the league.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
EroCaps said:
I can't say I'm surprised those outside the Washington area jump the gun and call this a blown pick. They're just spewing out mediocre sightless media garbage, which should be expected.

Bourque was the most impressive player at the Caps' rookie camp, which included probably the most talented assortment of prospects in the league.

Ehhh....Yeah, but the caps deadly trifecta of Semin, Ovechkin and Fehr weren't at the camp. Its impressive, but without those three, I wouldn't say we have the most talented assortment of prospects in the league. I know its just three prospects, but thats arguably the best prospect in the world, a top-10 prospect and a top 30 prospect. Three bluechippers to say the least.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Captain Conservative said:
Ehhh....Yeah, but the caps deadly trifecta of Semin, Ovechkin and Fehr weren't at the camp. Its impressive, but without those three, I wouldn't say we have the most talented assortment of prospects in the league. I know its just three prospects, but thats arguably the best prospect in the world, a top-10 prospect and a top 30 prospect. Three bluechippers to say the least.

I understand what you mean, but still, Ovechkin, Semin and Fehr are blue-chip first round picks. I wouldn't suggest he's at that level, but he did outplay very good 1st round picks w/1st-2nd line potential in Fleischmann, Aulin, Johansson, and Klepis, while holding his own against Eminger, Morrisonn, Yonkman, Mike Green, etc.

He has everything but size. There are a slew of his sort who have made great careers w/the tools he has, and they haven't been hanging around hall of fame players since infancy.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
Dude's like Martin St.Louis and Theo Fleury who make the NHL at their height's are usually out-of-this world skilled, and great skaters. Now to be fair, I've never seen Bourque play live but I'm damn sure he's not as talented as fellow 5'7 players like St.Louis and Gionta.

How does that work? So....you are totally guessing?

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
monster_bertuzzi said:
:shakehead

Un-necessary cockiness, not useful confidence.
Actually sounds like a good combination of confidence, sense of humor, and SARCASM.

CapsCrazyX17

Jun 20, 2003
Washington, DC
monster_bertuzzi said:

Are you forgetting that when St. Louis joined the NHL he went undrafted and was later let go by the Flames? He may be and "out-of-this world" talent right now but I guarantee you that most teams thought this guy would never amount to anything in the NHL. It was hard work and effort that got St. Louis to the big time, and the same could happen with Bourque. Don't be so quick to rule him out.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
I've actually seen Bourque play, and skill probably won't be a problem. Size? Yeah, that is a big, big obstacle for him, but he's got plenty of skill.

Frankly, making an assumption about a player, either good or bad, without seeing them is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Buya89

Aug 11, 2004
Russia
monster_bertuzzi said:

Martin St.Louis was riding 4th line and being healthy scratch all the time in calgary. He wasnt doing too much with the puck either. What a little change to surroundings/confidence did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->