Chris Bourque...in all honesty

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcimright

Jul 25, 2004
Following in the path of one’s parents is every kids dream right? But what if the kid isn’t talented enough? What if the kid has Ray Bourque for a dad? How is he going to fill those big of shoes?

Well, I don’t think he can. I don’t think Chris Bourque has an inkling of the talent his father has, which is sad to say the least because I can imagine what kind of pressure the junior bourque must feel living in such a huge shadow! Doesn’t that give a person issues? Striving as hard as one can and not even coming close to being as impressive? I’m sure that other teams look at him and think how disappointing it is to be him because they’ve seen ray play and think that his son must be good too, only to find he’s a mediocre player that most likely won’t even make the WJCs. I saw him at their eval camp and I have to admit he wasn’t shabby but among the best of the best, like O’Sullivan and Schremp and Stafford, mr. Bourque was seriously outshined. Of the three boys previously mentioned, especially Patrick O’Sullivan, they’re going to go on and make it onto their respective teams and be a valuable contribution. If he has an NHL career with the Capitals it will be because of his father buying his way onto the team.

Going back to the issues…I hear he has an attitude off the ice that is rather unruly and immature. This doesn’t help his chances at truly becoming a member of the team, any team, because who wants to play with someone you can’t trust? And since everyone knows he only got onto the team because of his last name, who’s going to warm up to him when he starts becoming disruptive and unmanageable? What kind of team wants that sort of baggage? They say Robbie Schremp has an attitude, but I don’t see that. I see confidence and perhaps untactful honesty. An attitude, I would say, is disrespecting fellow teammates, which bourque most definitely does.

I guess I can only say how awful it must be to have grown up where he did…with the father that he did…because it looks like he’s got more issues than anyone else I know. At the WJC eval camp there was some chattering going to Chris Bourque. He was called a ‘cherry picker’ by another player, loud enough for us in the stands to hear. After that incident, Mr. Ray Bourque had a little talking to with Sandelin, stating how he didn’t want his son disrespected like that, how he wanted his son treated better…no wonder chris has such an annoying personality, his father doesn’t let anyone spank him, in the figurative sense and when that happens kids get rotten. I’m sorry but he’s not a good hockey player, names don’t make the dude. Someone needs to tell this guy that or he’s going to crash and burn and have to learn the hard way. It's sad but...it's also true.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
bcimright said:
Following in the path of one’s parents is every kids dream right? But what if the kid isn’t talented enough? What if the kid has Ray Bourque for a dad? How is he going to fill those big of shoes?

Well, I don’t think he can. I don’t think Chris Bourque has an inkling of the talent his father has, which is sad to say the least because I can imagine what kind of pressure the junior bourque must feel living in such a huge shadow! Doesn’t that give a person issues? Striving as hard as one can and not even coming close to being as impressive? I’m sure that other teams look at him and think how disappointing it is to be him because they’ve seen ray play and think that his son must be good too, only to find he’s a mediocre player that most likely won’t even make the WJCs. I saw him at their eval camp and I have to admit he wasn’t shabby but among the best of the best, like O’Sullivan and Schremp and Stafford, mr. Bourque was seriously outshined. Of the three boys previously mentioned, especially Patrick O’Sullivan, they’re going to go on and make it onto their respective teams and be a valuable contribution. If he has an NHL career with the Capitals it will be because of his father buying his way onto the team.

Going back to the issues…I hear he has an attitude off the ice that is rather unruly and immature. This doesn’t help his chances at truly becoming a member of the team, any team, because who wants to play with someone you can’t trust? And since everyone knows he only got onto the team because of his last name, who’s going to warm up to him when he starts becoming disruptive and unmanageable? What kind of team wants that sort of baggage? They say Robbie Schremp has an attitude, but I don’t see that. I see confidence and perhaps untactful honesty. An attitude, I would say, is disrespecting fellow teammates, which bourque most definitely does.

I guess I can only say how awful it must be to have grown up where he did…with the father that he did…because it looks like he’s got more issues than anyone else I know. At the WJC eval camp there was some chattering going to Chris Bourque. He was called a ‘cherry picker’ by another player, loud enough for us in the stands to hear. After that incident, Mr. Ray Bourque had a little talking to with Sandelin, stating how he didn’t want his son disrespected like that, how he wanted his son treated better…no wonder chris has such an annoying personality, his father doesn’t let anyone spank him, in the figurative sense and when that happens kids get rotten. I’m sorry but he’s not a good hockey player, names don’t make the dude. Someone needs to tell this guy that or he’s going to crash and burn and have to learn the hard way. It's sad but...it's also true.

Did Chris sleep w/your wife? Wow. All I have to say. The kid has some serious haters. He was dazzling at Caps rookie camp, and lauded for his attitude early by McPhee.

Velouria

Sep 23, 2004
He was taken way too high, I think we can all agree. High school players should just not go that high. Even more unbelieveable was Blake Wheeler going to the Coyotes fifth overall.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
bcimright said:

Two questions:

1) Have you ACTUALLY seen Chris play with BU?

2) Where is your source on the claim on the talk between Ray and Coach Sandelin?

From all accounts that I've read and heard about Chris at BU, he seems to be doing just fine and pretty well liked by his teammates. I've already seen BU several times this season. While he's not putting up eye-popping numbers, he's been contributing in various other ways, most notably helping to set up plays for his pal and linemate Peter MacArthur.

...and for the hundreth time (to all of you that are unfamiliar with him) Coach Sandelin isn't going to pass up a player that he feels deserves to be on Team USA's roster, whether it's Chris Bourque, Robbie Schremp or anyone else. If he feels strongly that Bourque and/or Schremp deserves to be on the team, then chances are they (or one of them) will make it. We all will not know whether Bourque and/or Schremp has made team until it is made official this coming week.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I saw Bourque a second time this season. Was slightly better than the first game I saw, displayed better smarts, better hockey sense. No, he is not his father. But it is rather unfair to say he doesn't have an inkling of the talent his father had. In fact, he possesses some things that are "Bourquesque", such as being really strong for his size. And his skillset is quite decent. For a small guy, he gets involved.

Wouldn't have drafted him at that spot but he's still decent.

Now I will await Borro's presence, for the sheer entertainment value of it.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Some people really have it out for the guy.

Here's what we know.

1. He was drafted to high.

Yes, it's a fact. Now get over it. But it's also a fact that the Capitals not only had a lot of picks, so a high risk, high reward type pick like this really didn't make that much of a difference. There were other teams who might have taken him in the late 2nd if not early in the 3rd round. He would have been gone by the Caps next pick in the 3rd guranteed. The Caps were obviously high enough on him to think he fit this gamble, and that's that.

2. To say he doesn't have an inkling of the talent his father has is completely wrong. I don't know what you've watched, but from the couple of games I saw, and the Development Camp with the Caps, he certainly has his share of talent. While he doesn't have the same set as his dad (his dad's a first ballot hall of famer, played for years, not many people have that talent) He certainly doesn't look out of place amongst other young talented players who attended the Caps prospect camp.

3. Yes, he's short.

So are a lot of players. He's also solidly built. If he can keep adding some muscle to his frame, he could make it. His talent ranking in the Scouting Services probably would have been higher if he was a tad taller. That's why this pick by the Caps was a high risk high reward one. If he was 2 inches taller, he'd easily have been considered where he was taken, if not higher.

4. Attitude

Having met the guy, yes, he does seem cocky. Yes, a lot of players are. But, hey, I like a guy having a little bit of an edge. I don't want a player to think everyone is better than him. Also from what I gathered Chris feels that he has something to prove to everyone. That desire could help him do well.

And lastly, why's everyone so quick to knock this guy? He's still got the majority of 4 more years in the NCAA's, and then probably a year or two in the minors before he's even considered for a shot at an NHL team. He has a ways to go, and, yes, might not make it. But why rip him down when most of your accusations are baseless?

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
bcimright said:

Well, I don’t think he can. I don’t think Chris Bourque has an inkling of the talent his father has, which is sad to say the least because I can imagine what kind of pressure the junior bourque must feel living in such a huge shadow!

Let me say this. When I saw Chris Bourque play for the first time I was as skeptical as the next guy, but watching him run the right point on the powerplay reminded me so much of the elder Bourque I had to look closer to make sure he didn't sneak on his son's jersey and hop out there.

No one can predict if a player will make it to the NHL, or prove to be a good pick or a bust, but Bourque has done nothing but make positive strides since he was picked by being impressive at caps rookie camp and having a solid start to his college career, at this point he has as much chance of making it as anyone else picked in the second round this June, no one can tell for sure how they will pan out, but no prospect has taken more heat here at hfboards in the past year than little Bourque, lay off guys, by now we have heard it all before.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
bcimright said:

Why he did not come out publicly and admit he had gone too high in the draft I will never know. Even showing up to try out for the WJC team shows a lot of gall on his part. If he does have a career with the capitals at the negative salary you're suggesting how will that effect their salary cap?

johnny cool

Feb 19, 2004
to me, borque is a little selfish. he shoots when he has no right to a lot of the time

he leads hockey east in shots by a decent margin but only has 3 goals. and obviously that doesn't count the bad shots he takes that get blocked, go wide, etc.

that said, the kid has pretty good upside, but I think peter macarthur is the main reason he's got so many points to this point.

IkeaMonkey*

ryanlambert said:
to me, borque is a little selfish. he shoots when he has no right to a lot of the time

he leads hockey east in shots by a decent margin but only has 3 goals. and obviously that doesn't count the bad shots he takes that get blocked, go wide, etc.

that said, the kid has pretty good upside, but I think peter macarthur is the main reason he's got so many points to this point.

You dont score on 100% of the shots you dont take...

First thing I remember my coaches ever telling me.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
ryanlambert said:

All the best goal scorers shoot the puck.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
bcimright said:

That's a nice little fantasy you've concocted. Tell me, do you also write short stories for adults? :shakehead

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I have watched Chris Bourque play many times over the past 3 years. He is, with out a doubt, a great player! He is a tremendous skater. He is very strong on his skates. He can stop on a dime, change direction, and accelerate to the open lane in the blink of an eye while the puck is glue to his stick. For people that say he doesn't pass the puck just ask his teamate McArthur how many tape to tape passes he has put on his stick. I do believe he went to high in the draft but he has pro skills. If he can overcome his lack of size he will play pro hockey. So far he has done that at every level. He is where he is because he can play not because of his name.

Joe d

Aug 15, 2004
bcimright said:

Wow...you spent a long time writing this garbage.......

Joe d

Aug 15, 2004
Velouria said:
He was taken way too high, I think we can all agree. High school players should just not go that high. Even more unbelieveable was Blake Wheeler going to the Coyotes fifth overall.

Velouria......I assume your ability in scouting and drafting is much stronger and more qualified then that of the Capitol & Coyote staffs.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Joe d said:
Velouria......I assume your ability in scouting and drafting is much stronger and more qualified then that of the Capitol & Coyote staffs.

Wouldn't be that big of an accomplishment if it was the case, y'know.

johnny cool

Feb 19, 2004
JasonMacIsaac said:
All the best goal scorers shoot the puck.
this theory would be all well and good if he'd actually, you know, score goals.

the next closest player in shots in hockey east is ben walter, who has something like 8 fewer shots and 12 more goals.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Well, I'm trying to control myself, but I just couldn't resist another opportunity to voice my irritation and extreme dislike of Chris Bourque.

bcimright, I can tell you've actually seen the little punk play, unlike the majority of people on the Bourque Bandwagon who have yet to have the misfortune of watching the great waste of space that he is. I'm glad someone else has finally said what I've been attempting to communicate on here.

The rest of you can continue to live in your fantasy world if you so choose. This kid is going to be deadly for any team chemistry. It doesn't matter where he plays or who he plays with. He may be able to fake his way into the good graces of the coach, but the boys won't be so easy on him.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
MePutPuckInNet said:
Well, I'm trying to control myself, but I just couldn't resist another opportunity to voice my irritation and extreme dislike of Chris Bourque.

bcimright, I can tell you've actually seen the little punk play, unlike the majority of people on the Bourque Bandwagon who have yet to have the misfortune of watching the great waste of space that he is. I'm glad someone else has finally said what I've been attempting to communicate on here.

I've seen him play. There is no way he can be considered a "waste of space". Anyone who says so clearly has lost perspective. He's not an amazing college player and I certainly don't think he is an amazing prospect but "waste of space" doesn't apply.

Weird that you would lambast others for not seeing him play and then throw comments like that.

As for his reported attitude, I know nothing of that, except as I reported earlier this season, I thought he was lacking discipline the first game I saw, running around a little too much (second game I saw was better in that respect). You can't blame people and throw accusations that they haven't seen the kid play, and then base your dislike of Bourque on his attitude.

Just because people have seen him play doesn't mean we've sat down with the guy for a couple of hours.

I've seen him play. Not a waste of space. Decent talent, decent prospect, outside shot at making it. Drafted too high for my taste. Pretty much how I see it.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
MePutPuckInNet said:

The rest of you can continue to live in your fantasy world if you so choose. This kid is going to be deadly for any team chemistry. It doesn't matter where he plays or who he plays with. He may be able to fake his way into the good graces of the coach, but the boys won't be so easy on him.

"little punk, waste of space"...all class, my friend- aren't you better than below the belt personal attacks?

He's was rated a top 3 freshman prospect by several publications. So he's cocky. So his dad introduced him to the NHL life. He got lucky. That's the hand he got. Get over it. He has talent whether you can admit it or not. If he's a *****, he won't last long, regardless of who his dad is.

bcimright

Jul 25, 2004
EroCaps said:
"little punk, waste of space"...all class, my friend- aren't you better than below the belt personal attacks?

He's was rated a top 3 freshman prospect by several publications. So he's cocky. So his dad introduced him to the NHL life. He got lucky. That's the hand he got. Get over it. He has talent whether you can admit it or not. If he's a *****, he won't last long, regardless of who his dad is.

well...i don't think he was thinking of it as a personal attack...I'm pretty sure he was speaking the truth as he saw it. and it's true, at least i hope it is, that if he's an a*****, he won't be awarded leniency because of his last name. I'm just worried that it's already happened.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
bcimright said:
well...i don't think he was thinking of it as a personal attack...I'm pretty sure he was speaking the truth as he saw it. and it's true, at least i hope it is, that if he's an a*****, he won't be awarded leniency because of his last name. I'm just worried that it's already happened.

I'm sure there's a better way to say "little punk" or "waste of space".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad