CHL UFAs

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
After wondering for a while where Drew got those Donati's from, i finally got some clarification from Nick. Apparently every player who is 20 years old on January 1st (what makes him ineligible for the upcoming draft) from the CHL (NOT college) is UFA and can be signed.

Just wanted to post this so everyone knows and can make a steal or two :)

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
After wondering for a while where Drew got those Donati's from, i finally got some clarification from Nick. Apparently every player who is 20 years old on January 1st (what makes him ineligible for the upcoming draft) from the CHL (NOT college) is UFA and can be signed.

Just wanted to post this so everyone knows and can make a steal or two :)

Yeppers. There are a number of players each year that get signed in the HFNHL coming out of Junior. While the majority never pan out, I believe there are a few that have panned out. Jim Vandermeer is my success story (or was until I flipped him to Nashville for Norstrom last year). Anyone else have a roster player they picked up this way?

HFNHL Red Wings

Actually, unless there was a rule/process change I missed somewhere, as far as NA players go they don't have to wait until Jan 1st.
The process, at least used to be, that you could sign anyone after their draft eligibility passed. I had originally signed Matt Ellison (and a few others) this way in the July 1st FA period after the last draft in which he was draft eligible.

The confusion may be related to the new Euro FA rules that say something about the player not being eligible until the year after they turn 22 but I don't remember us having adopted that same complexity. Then again there are so many rules and discussions I don't always keep them straight myself ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

HFNHL Red Wings

Yeppers. There are a number of players each year that get signed in the HFNHL coming out of Junior. While the majority never pan out, I believe there are a few that have panned out. Jim Vandermeer is my success story (or was until I flipped him to Nashville for Norstrom last year). Anyone else have a roster player they picked up this way?

Matt Ellison is the only overage CHL'er that's even shown signs of working out for me (he will I swear) ... yet for some reason I keep trying ;)

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Actually, unless there was a rule/process change I missed somewhere, as far as NA players go they don't have to wait until Jan 1st.
The process, at least used to be, that you could sign anyone after their draft eligibility passed. I had originally signed Matt Ellison (and a few others) this way in the July 1st FA period after the last draft in which he was draft eligible.

The confusion may be related to the new Euro FA rules that say something about the player not being eligible until the year after they turn 22 but I don't remember us having adopted that same complexity. Then again there are so many rules and discussions I don't always keep them straight myself ;)

In recent memory, I beleive the fresh crop of just-graduated CHLers that start showing up in March and April with pro contracts aren't eligible in the HFNHL until July 1st (or whenever the start of our FA signing period is). Once a player has gone through one FA period, they can be signed at any time.

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
In recent memory, I beleive the fresh crop of just-graduated CHLers that start showing up in March and April with pro contracts aren't eligible in the HFNHL until July 1st (or whenever the start of our FA signing period is). Once a player has gone through one FA period, they can be signed at any time.

Thats exactly what i thought too... i might have bid for a donati or two :)

HFNHL Red Wings

Just to tighten these statements up since what I think you are referencing above can apply to any FA, not just overage CHL'ers.

(i) We do not allow any UFA signings after the trade deadline (the month is irrelevant) aside from a teams resigning of their own pending FA's or prospects.
(ii) NCAA players who started the year in the NCAA cannot be signed in the HFNHL until the July 1st period following their leaving college, regardless of when they turned pro during the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->