CHL/NHL Prospects Game Jan.17

Benchguy

Oct 10, 2005
Québec
What happened to Cherry Vs. Orr?

Patrick Roy decided to add a" Quebec touch " to the event.

He invited people who had coached teams in Quebec. I think it is a great idea, plus : Burns and Bowman are probably two of the best coaches ever.

I was as the game, it was a good show. It will be interesting to see if Ruslan Bashkirov's (player of the game for Burns/Bergeron's team) stock has risen has much has previous MVPs such as Michael Grabner (from late 2nd to 14th overall) and Kendal Mcardle (from early 3rd to late 1st).

Esposito showed some flashes offensively, but focused more on the physical play. That's what he wanted to prove. He almost got into a fight late in the 3rd with the Nigerian Alyu. Esposito finished with the most PIM (4).

You can post questions here, I'll try to answer

Dave D

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
Esposito

Angelo Esposito missed a great opportunity by choosing not to pass the puck. When you are on a line with Pat Kane, you need to give Kane the puck and go to the net without the puck. I was excited to see those two play together, but Espo decided to take Kane out of the game. Instead of taking advantage of having a player like Kane on his line, he responds by not giving Kane a pass the entire night. IMO, the only thing Espo proved is that he has no idea how to play with a highly skilled player. Now I see why he was an early cut for Team Canada. Espo embarrassed himself last night.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Patrick Roy decided to add a" Quebec touch " to the event.

He invited people who had coached teams in Quebec. I think it is a great idea, plus : Burns and Bowman are probably two of the best coaches ever.

I was as the game, it was a good show. It will be interesting to see if Ruslan Bashkirov's (player of the game for Burns/Bergeron's team) stock has risen has much has previous MVPs such as Michael Grabner (from late 2nd to 14th overall) and Kendal Mcardle (from early 3rd to late 1st).

Esposito showed some flashes offensively, but focused more on the physical play. That's what he wanted to prove. He almost got into a fight late in the 3rd with the Nigerian Alyu. Esposito finished with the most PIM (4).

You can post questions here, I'll try to answer

No doubt this move was a great experience for the players. Bowman, Demers and Burns know a lot more about hockey than Cherry can ever dream too.

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com
Angelo Esposito missed a great opportunity by choosing not to pass the puck. When you are on a line with Pat Kane, you need to give Kane the puck and go to the net without the puck. I was excited to see those two play together, but Espo decided to take Kane out of the game. Instead of taking advantage of having a player like Kane on his line, he responds by not giving Kane a pass the entire night. IMO, the only thing Espo proved is that he has no idea how to play with a highly skilled player. Now I see why he was an early cut for Team Canada. Espo embarrassed himself last night.

I thought the same thing. Esposito showed great skill on his own but looked as selfish as anyone I've seen in the Top Prospects Game, as if his attitude was "I'm going to show how great I am on my own no matter what, dammit!" I can't count the number of times I was mentally yelling "pass it!" during the game.

Keven Veilleux was my biggest surprise of the night. I hadn't seen him play before or even really heard of him but he looked terrific. Oscar Moller Wiener looked good too.

Trevor Cann had a real off night, I've seen him play a lot better than that. Smith and Sexsmith were excellent. Rowat was as good as he needed to be.

One moment summed up the night for me with Akim Aliu... him and Voracek were advancing on the PK and Voracek waited at the red line to kill the clock and make his decision. Aliu didn't even look - he just barrelled straight into the offensive zone with his head down. Voracek wound up back-passing it to avoid the deliberate offside. I like Aliu - think he got an unfair rep in Windsor and I want to see him succeed - but he's got a thimbleful of hockey sense in a sea of hard-nosed talent. He'll be a frustrating NHLer someday. You just can't teach decision-making.

turnbuckle*

I thought the same thing. Esposito showed great skill on his own but looked as selfish as anyone I've seen in the Top Prospects Game, as if his attitude was "I'm going to show how great I am on my own no matter what, dammit!" I can't count the number of times I was mentally yelling "pass it!" during the game.

Keven Veilleux was my biggest surprise of the night. I hadn't seen him play before or even really heard of him but he looked terrific. Oscar Moller Wiener looked good too.

Trevor Cann had a real off night, I've seen him play a lot better than that. Smith and Sexsmith were excellent. Rowat was as good as he needed to be.

One moment summed up the night for me with Akim Aliu... him and Voracek were advancing on the PK and Voracek waited at the red line to kill the clock and make his decision. Aliu didn't even look - he just barrelled straight into the offensive zone with his head down. Voracek wound up back-passing it to avoid the deliberate offside. I like Aliu - think he got an unfair rep in Windsor and I want to see him succeed - but he's got a thimbleful of hockey sense in a sea of hard-nosed talent. He'll be a frustrating NHLer someday. You just can't teach decision-making.

good point about Aliu - has physical skills out the yin yang but does he have the head? Still...I saw a number of things defensively that tell me he's not a lost cause when it comes to the mental aspects of the game - if he can disrupt the opposing center and get in his grill while providing some offensive spark even if it just involves barreling to the net he may do okay at the NHL level. Don't expect him to become a 60-assist man tho.

Would it kill him to smile once in his life either? Anyone notice Espo telling the ref that Aliu is an arsehole at the end of the game?

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Maybe if people watched the Sportsnet broadcast that indicated Espo had the flu, they wouldn't be so hard on him.

A few things I took from this game. Veilleux reminds me a bit of Daze. I didn't see him wanting to go into too much traffic, but if he puts on some weight and gets physical, he could be dominating.

Didn't notice Gilles at all.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Maybe if people watched the Sportsnet broadcast that indicated Espo had the flu, they wouldn't be so hard on him.

A few things I took from this game. Veilleux reminds me a bit of Daze. I didn't see him wanting to go into too much traffic, but if he puts on some weight and gets physical, he could be dominating.

Didn't notice Gilles at all.

He seems to get the flu a lot.

U17's, World Junior Camp, Prospects Game....

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
Horrible annoucing - most people are just trying to identify the players but rather tna annoucing the game and letting us get to know some of unfamilair players these two rant on trying to impress with the CHL trivia. Wish TSN had the game.
I won't go on about those two that call RSN CHL games..been there done that..just nasty that's all.
I've often wondered why CBC doesn't bid to pick up CHL. This year CHL will most likely have close to 10 million paying customers. Yes Major Junior teams have local or regional interest. But with teams in all 10 provinces, covering 6 time zones (or 5 1/2 depending on how you count NL) , HOW hard would it be to have triple header Sundays. Afternoon, evening and late night.....or morning, afternoon and evening out west? Especially if CBC loses NHL to TSN? What is CBC gonna lose Sunday ratings too, like what else do they show on Sundays? Okay it's a dream.
Back to the actual game. I was surprised at the physical play in the game.....right on though..."That's hockey"

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Did he have that rare kind of flu that makes you incapable of passing to your linemates? :help:

Next time you get the flu, see how it affects your decision making. Generally I don't get off the couch.

Make sure you go to the office/school/job and then after you are done, a couple days later reflect back on your performance.

Now, if you are an adult, go back and make a note of how well you would have done what you are doing at 17 years old.

Good grief.

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com
Next time you get the flu, see how it affects your decision making. Generally I don't get off the couch.

Make sure you go to the office/school/job and then after you are done, a couple days later reflect back on your performance.

Now, if you are an adult, go back and make a note of how well you would have done what you are doing at 17 years old.

Good grief.

A little touchy?

Do you think that the scouts in attendance were thinking to themselves, "All the good things he does are great, whereas the bad things he does are because he has the flu! We're taking him number one!"

I have thought of Esposito as a supremely talented but selfish player for a long time and last night was one more example of that, flu or no flu. I have seen him play before and I am not basing my opinions simply on watching him on one night. I thought he played very well, all things considered, but you can't tell me that critiquing the minuses in his performance last night isn't allowed because he was sick.

And don't give me that "he's only 17" nonsense. Every prospect in the game last night is 17 or 18 and we're discussing their abilities, pluses and minuses as hockey players.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
A little touchy?

Do you think that the scouts in attendance were thinking to themselves, "All the good things he does are great, whereas the bad things he does are because he has the flu! We're taking him number one!"

I have thought of Esposito as a supremely talented but selfish player for a long time and last night was one more example of that, flu or no flu. I have seen him play before and I am not basing my opinions simply on watching him on one night. I thought he played very well, all things considered, but you can't tell me that critiquing the minuses in his performance last night isn't allowed because he was sick.

And don't give me that "he's only 17" nonsense. Every prospect in the game last night is 17 or 18 and we're discussing their abilities, pluses and minuses as hockey players.
I think that too much weight is put on too small sample size. Is Shane Doan the player from the first 20 games of this season or the second 20 games?

Was Esposito selfish last night because he knew that with the flu, his chances of putting in a solid all around performance was inhibited?

And it wasn't the question of being 17, it was the question of performance under physical distress at 17.

My comments weren't directed only at you, but I was trying to be the devils advocate when looking at his performance last night.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
The knock on Esposito is that he shys away from traffic and the boards.
I thought he went out of his way to show otherwise. Maybe to the detriment of his natural play?
Anyway the kid's got heart. Will he be an NHL star who knows? But he showed he's willing to try.

QcS

Sep 13, 2003
au Québec!
Visit site
i was also very impressed with Veilleux.. i had only seen him once this year before this game.

I was a bit disappointed that Antoine Lafleur wasn't invited.. imo he'll be a very solid goalie for a long time.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
vanwychen27 said:
Moller will his draft rankings finally rise after this, my raving a boasting about him over the last year didnt seem to help, but im sure his performance tonight caught many peoples eyes.

I'm also gratified to see Oscar Moller play well in this game. He's a player I have been keeping an eye on all season.

Brett MacLean as well.

P_B

:bb:

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Fozz said:
Bowman, Demers and Burns know a lot more about hockey than Cherry can ever dream too.

I wouldn't dare disparage the hockey knowledge of Scotty Bowman and Jacques Demers (two former Blues' coaches, BTW), or Pat Burns... but you're dead wrong to think that Don Cherry isn't every bit as knowledgeable of the game.

P_B

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
turnbuckle said:
Where the hell is Dana Tyrell - they picked Bowman over him? Surprised not to see Subban, Spaling and Legein from the OHL either; all three are being highly considered as second-round talents by pro scouts and McKeen's staff alike.

Gratchev over Spaling? Valach over Legein? I suppose if you like your NHLers to be inconsistent *******.......Disappointing to see every "hyped" European invited over the like of Tyrell....not the way it's going to happen at the draft.

Skokan, Gratchev, Valach, etc., will not be pucked before Tyrell unless NHL scouts suddenly decide that intensity, determination and character (in addition to skill) are no longer needed at the NHL level. I'll take a gritty 5-11 Canadian with comparable skill over a perimeter playing, 6-1 euro prospect every day and twice on Sunday. If Gratchev ends up selected before Tyrell I'll be shocked and pissed.

Late note - for goodness sake....you even censor the word pussssey? Give me a break.

:amazed:

That's somewhat out of character for you, turnbuckle. What brought that mildly-xenophobic rant on?

McKeen's own site notes that Skokan, in particular, is intense and determined. Is he as intense and determined as Dana Tyrell? I don't know, but I certainly wouldn't discount Skokan as a character player just because of his European background.

He came over here to play major junior, when he could have stayed home in the Czech Republic and been King Ding-Dong of Czech center prospects for this year's draft. He made the commitment to make the adjustment to North America early, so as to better prepare himself for a potential pro career here, and that says something to me about his character, and his desire to be an NHL player instead of a big star in the Czech Republic.

P_B

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
:amazed:

That's somewhat out of character for you, turnbuckle. What brought that mildly-xenophobic rant on?

McKeen's own site notes that Skokan, in particular, is intense and determined. Is he as intense and determined as Dana Tyrell? I don't know, but I certainly wouldn't discount Skokan as a character player just because of his European background.

He came over here to play major junior, when he could have stayed home in the Czech Republic and been King Ding-Dong of Czech center prospects for this year's draft. He made the commitment to make the adjustment to North America early, so as to better prepare himself for a potential pro career here, and that says something to me about his character, and his desire to be an NHL player instead of a big star in the Czech Republic.

P_B

Skokan has no hands..he is a good skater and plays physical...but he will be a 3rd/4th liner at best in the NHL. 7 goals this year, getting PP time and he is an 18 year old...not a 17 year old.

PS: Skokan is Slovak not Czech.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I wouldn't dare disparage the hockey knowledge of Scotty Bowman and Jacques Demers (two former Blues' coaches, BTW), or Pat Burns... but you're dead wrong to think that Don Cherry isn't every bit as knowledgeable of the game.
Yikes, I think you just did disparage them. Well, certainly Bowman anyway. :D

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

P_B

In terms of being behind a bench and communicate to the players between shifts, Cherry is nowhere near any of those guys. Notice that I didn't include Bergeron. i think him and Cherry are comparable.

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
I think Aliu got a bigtime unfair rap for what transpired in Windsor. Being from the area I got to read quite a bit about the whole incident and even knew some people close to the team.
How did this whole grudge start? Aliu was checking out one of Downie's sticks and Downie lost it on him. After this, Downie wouldn't give the kid a break and over time it boiled to the point of what occured.
From what I gathered Downie is a giant ***** who treated Aliu and many other rookies like crap.

I hope Aliu makes it into the NHL. I can see him being a Jonathon Tootoo type player only much larger. He'll be great for your 3rd or 4th line, will check everything in site and might even be able to chip in 10-15 goals in his prime. He'll be the type of player needed to win Cups.

As far as Esposito, does anyone think that maybe he was trying too hard? Afterall, we're talking about 17 year old kids on the biggest stage of their careers. Millions of dollars can literally be on the line in a game like this. I know guys in their 30's that are selfish with no spotlight.
Lets cut some of these kids slack.

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005

P_B

I disagree. See the Mississauga Icedogs record while he was running things. His head is still locked into the 50's. The game has lapped him several times.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
A little touchy?

Well, if we're going to ***** out Esposito, lets start on Crosby too eh. He certainly showed up to the game and worked his tail off and worked through the pain.

*Rollseyes.*

The kid was gutsy even to show up, people advised him not to play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->