CHL Franchise Rankings 2005-2015

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
What about a case like Tavares? He played 3 and half years in Oshawa and was traded to London mid season in his draft year?

Does he count towards London or Oshawa? This is the case with a few players.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
Nick Holden has played 357 games in the NHL and the only WHL team that he played for was Chilliwack. Should he be counted for Chilliwack/Victoria?

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
What about a case like Tavares? He played 3 and half years in Oshawa and was traded to London mid season in his draft year?

Does he count towards London or Oshawa? This is the case with a few players.
Counts for Oshawa.
Nick Holden has played 357 games in the NHL and the only WHL team that he played for was Chilliwack. Should he be counted for Chilliwack/Victoria?
Nick Holden was playing in the AJHL during his D and D+1 seasons.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Is Shane Prince considered likely to reach 150 games? I'm trying to figure out who the 8 67's are, and I'm missing one;

Mrazek
Ceci
Konecny
Couture
Toffoli
Monahan
Mcginn

Prince?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yes, pretty much the Barzals, Theodores, Sergachevs, DeBrincats... The young players that are NHL regulars.

A rookie like Noah Juulssn who has played 6 games won’t count yet though, even if I think he’ll become an NHLer sooner than later.
I'd count Sam Girard for Shawinigan then. He's played in the NHL all year. I know you gotta cut it off somewhere but he belongs in the group with the first year players IMO.

What's more shocking to me than the teams with low numbers drafted is low success rate. Like 2/22 from Edmonton became NHL players. That's kinda crazy.

Also, who counts for Sudbury? They haven't had much success lately.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
I'd count Sam Girard for Shawinigan then. He's played in the NHL all year. I know you gotta cut it off somewhere but he belongs in the group with the first year players IMO.

What's more shocking to me than the teams with low numbers drafted is low success rate. Like 2/22 from Edmonton became NHL players. That's kinda crazy.

Also, who counts for Sudbury? They haven't had much success lately.
Girard is a 2016 draftee. This is from 2005-2015.

The two impactful Sudbury Wolves are Benoit Pouliot and Marc Staal.

Reactions: tigervixxxen

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I apologize in advance if I'm wrong on this, but doesn't residency of a player dictate NA players' CHL team?

No, they are subjected to a draft, much like the NHL, however some of the boy's parents want the kid close to home so they may not report and cause a trade.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Chlapik will as well. As a Charlottetown Alumni also. The new ownership has changed the PEI franchise immensely
They couldn't be included but they certainly might be their first. Hopefully, Jeremy Roy becomes the first for Sherbrooke if he can get over his injuries woes...

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Not the team but the league. Players born in the west (Manitoba/Saskatchewan/Alberta/BC/Territories/Western US) go into the WHL draft. Ontario/central US and I think some even of the eastern seaboard go into OHL. Northeastern corners of US/Quebec/Martimes in the QMJHL draft.

So for example a Manitoba player can be drafted to say Seattle and a Utah player could be drafted to Calgary, etc, etc. But a WHL team can't draft an Ontario player.

There are some rare exceptions where players can cross leagues, but it's rare and near unheard of for true pro potential players.
Thanks for the info.

What about undrafted kids? Are they free to sign anywhere?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Thanks for the info.

What about undrafted kids? Are they free to sign anywhere?

Once players reach their 18 year old year without being signed/protected by a team in their region they are free to sign in any league. So any undrafted players, players who were drafted but had their rights dropped, or players who were cut can switch leagues once they get to their 18 year old year.

18 year old year for CHL purposes would be any player that's 18 or turning 18 before Jan 1 of the year at the start of the season.

Reactions: MaxV

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
There is a rule I believe that when you can’t make a team in your regional league, you can sign elsewhere. That’s what happened to Mike Hoffman.

Yeah I posted the rules in one post above. So for Hoffman it appears he was undrafted during the OHL draft at 16. During his 17 year old year he was signed by Kitchener in OHL (since he's an Ontario player) but ended up released. Since he was not committed to a team for his 18 year old year he was able to go to QMJHL for the remainder of his career.

That is certainly a tendency breaker right there. Very few players that end up in NHL switch leagues in CHL (since most will be either signed or protected by 17) and few make it after playing their overage year in the CHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad