CHL Franchise Rankings 2005-2015

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
In light of my previous thread where I was trying to gage people's guesses as to which CHL leagues/franchises have produced the least NHL talent between 2005 and 2015, I have completed the rankings.

Methodology:
- A team is counted when the player is drafted from said team. Teams who have acquired players in seasons after the draft do not count as it would be too complicated.
- Only players who have played 150 games or players who are basically a lock to play 150 games (for more recent drafts) are counted in the number of games played.
- Undrafted free agents (Yanni Gourde, Tyler Johnson, Jonathan Marchessault, David Desharnais) that were draft eligible between 2005 and 2015 are counted in the number of games and stats, but not as drafted players.
- Since we are not evaluating offensive impact but overall impact, the number of games played by 150+ players has been chosen to rank all the teams. This allows to include goalies and defensive defensemen.

Without further ado, here are the rankings.

OHL

Capture_d_cran_2018-03-03_14.07.11.png

QMJHL

Capture_d_cran_2018-03-02_11.45.05.png

WHL

whl.png

CHL

Capture_d_cran_2018-03-03_14.07.52.png

Capture_d_cran_2018-03-03_14.08.01.png

Some interesting stats:

- Most NHL talent produced between 2005 and 2015: London Knights (5197 games)
-
Least NHL talent produced between 2005 and 2015: Sherbrooke Phoenix (since 2012-2013), Charlottetown Islanders/PEI Rocket (0), Victoria Royals/Chilliwack Bruins (0)
- Team with most players drafted between 2005 and 2015: Portland Winterhawks (32)
- Team with least players drafted between 2005 and 2015: Acadie-Bathurst Titan (5)
- Highest success rate of drafted players/players who played 150+ games: London Knights (50%), Kitchener Rangers (50%), Drummondville Voltigeurs (50%)
- Lowest success rate of drafted players/players who played 150+ games (outside 0%): Shawinigan Cataractes (5,5%)
- Team that has produced the most NHL points: London Knights (3053)
- Team that has produced the most NHL goals: London Knights (1204)
- Team that has produced the most NHL assists: London Knights (1849)
- The complete non-factors: Charlottetown Islanders/PEI Rocket, Victoria Royals/Chilliwack Bruins

I'll cut the Sherbrooke Phoenix some slack since they're an expansion team that didn't take part in 8 of the 11 drafts between 2005 and 2015.

The QMJHL is the league that has produced the least NHL talent from 2005 to 2015. However, the difference with the WHL, which has 4 more teams, is minimal when adjusted.

Hope you found this interesting! All data is from HockeyDB draft history.

Last edited:

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Quite a distinction between the haves and have-nots of the WHL

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
University of Minnesota has had about 5500-6000 NHL games played come through in those ten years. Usually about 15 drafted players on the roster every year.

We'd be glad to have you, kids! USHL/BCHL/AJHL to NCAA route is killing it lately! ;)

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
University of Minnesota has had about 5500-6000 NHL games played come through in those ten years. Usually about 15 drafted players on the roster every year.

We'd be glad to have you, kids! USHL/BCHL/AJHL to NCAA route is killing it lately! ;)
Very different realities. There are about 60 D1 universities, and about 10 of them have most of the drafted players. In the CHL, it's much more scattered throughout the teams and they're drafted by those teams (whereas in the NCAA, any player can choose to go to a powerhouse like U of Minnesota or BU).

Reactions: Nullus Reverentia

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Very different realities. There are about 60 D1 universities, and about 10 of them have most of the drafted players. In the CHL, it's much more scattered throughout the teams and they're drafted by those teams (whereas in the NCAA, any player can choose to go to a powerhouse like U of Minnesota or BU).
The freedom to choose is the big part. As you've laid out, there are haves and have nots in the CHL. If you get drafted by a have not, nice to have the NCAA option in your back pocket.

It's definitely not a direct comparison. And of course, the big NCAA teams will only be interested in you if you're dang good. It's tough to predict but I'm guessing most players on big NCAA teams would be top half in points on their team if they had gone CHL route at the usual CHL entry age.

Last edited:

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Disapointed to see the rankings of the Q... I was looking at Quebec-born players the other day out of curiosity and I was surprised to see so few.
The number of players from Quebec decreased by a lot in the last 10 years and fewer good young players, and almost (or none?) young Quebec goalie starter (on the top of my head Fleury , Crawford are the only Quebec starters presently, age 33?).

It's cool to see hockey evolving everywhere else, I'm sad Quebec does not seem to follow the same trend...

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Disapointed to see the rankings of the Q... I was looking at Quebec-born players the other day out of curiosity and I was surprised to see so few.
The number of players from Quebec decreased by a lot in the last 10 years and fewer good young players, and almost (or none?) young Quebec goalie starter (on the top of my head Fleury , Crawford are the only Quebec starters presently, age 33?).

It's cool to see hockey evolving everywhere else, I'm sad Quebec does not seem to follow the same trend...
IMO, there was definitely a big drought between 2005 and 2015. However, there recently seems to be more talent coming from Quebec.

Starting this year with Groulx, Veleno, Beaudin, Bernard, G. Fortier, Desruisseaux

Next year (hopefully): Parent, Ortiz, Poulin, Pelletier, Légaré, Simoneau, Kalmikov and Lavoie (projected top two rounds for now with their performance this year)

In 2020, it's too early to tell, but the biggest Q prospect since Crosby is coming with Lafreniere, and he's Quebec-born.

The Q is in better shape moving forward than it was 5-10 years ago IMO. Of course, time will tell, but I wouldn't say hockey in Quebec is declining.

Reactions: abo9

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I apologize in advance if I'm wrong on this, but doesn't residency of a player dictate NA players' CHL team?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The challenge with these stats, are going to be guys who were traded from one team, to another. They might have played two, or three years for one team, were traded, and then played for the team they were drafted from, for one year or less.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Can you please update this including the Guelph Storm?
Oh shoot I forgot them lol, they’ll be added soon
The challenge with these stats, are going to be guys who were traded from one team, to another. They might have played two, or three years for one team, were traded, and then played for the team they were drafted from, for one year or less.
The thing is, I find that the two years before the draft are the most important. It’s the moment where these organizations scout the players during their teen years and proceed to identify talent and develop that talent as well as possible to prepare the players for the draft. Of course, they keep developing after the draft, but some players are traded twice after, so it would be too difficult to track everyone’s stats with a different franchise.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I apologize in advance if I'm wrong on this, but doesn't residency of a player dictate NA players' CHL team?

Not the team but the league. Players born in the west (Manitoba/Saskatchewan/Alberta/BC/Territories/Western US) go into the WHL draft. Ontario/central US and I think some even of the eastern seaboard go into OHL. Northeastern corners of US/Quebec/Martimes in the QMJHL draft.

So for example a Manitoba player can be drafted to say Seattle and a Utah player could be drafted to Calgary, etc, etc. But a WHL team can't draft an Ontario player.

There are some rare exceptions where players can cross leagues, but it's rare and near unheard of for true pro potential players.

Reactions: MaxV

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
One thing to consider is the effect of trades on these numbers.

For example, in spite of being drafted as a member of the London Knights, John Tavares is, for all intents and purposes, an Oshawa General. Of his 247 regular season games only 24 were played for London.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
One thing to consider is the effect of trades on these numbers.

For example, in spite of being drafted as a member of the London Knights, John Tavares is, for all intents and purposes, an Oshawa General. Of his 247 regular season games only 24 were played for London.
He was counted as a General don’t worry ;)

Reactions: OSA

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
Not to nitpick, but how does Shawinigan have one 150+ games when the total games is at 111 (which is less than 150)?

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Ok thanks, makes sense... so all those in the NHL that you think will reach 150 games are included?
Yes, pretty much the Barzals, Theodores, Sergachevs, DeBrincats... The young players that are NHL regulars.

A rookie like Noah Juulssn who has played 6 games won’t count yet though, even if I think he’ll become an NHLer sooner than later.

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
Victoria will have a 150+ GP in a couple of years with Matt Phillips which should leave Charlottetown/PEI as the only dishonorable mention. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->