Chinese hockey?

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
I don't want to offend anyone but to me it seems like Chinese are not really the best guys in any team sports. Ok, they are quite good in basketball but what else comes then? Maybe it's their mentality or the way they are pushed during training. I just don't get why Chinese are so strong in any one-man sports and then in a team they aren't.

Hammer Time

May 3, 2011
I don't want to offend anyone but to me it seems like Chinese are not really the best guys in any team sports. Ok, they are quite good in basketball but what else comes then? Maybe it's their mentality or the way they are pushed during training. I just don't get why Chinese are so strong in any one-man sports and then in a team they aren't.

China tends to put the majority of its funding into individual sports. Their stated goal is to get the largest number of medals possible. So they can either develop 20 players to win in a team sport like hockey (which would give them one medal), or they can develop 1 gymnast (there are multiple chances to get a medal in gymnastics). So in a team sport, they're spending more money to get less medals.

Copie

Nov 17, 2007
Hong Kong
Chinese Canadians yes. I'm surprised there aren't many Chinese Canadians in the NHL, Chinese is the 3rd most spoken language in Canada after English and French. Canada in many ways is a Chinese country, much like the US is a Black country.

A real Chinese from China? Probably never. Hockey has zero presence in Asia, I mean zero.

You obviously haven't been to Hong Kong lately where there is a thriving hockey scene with multiple divisions of Men's league, Women's league, Youth leagues and a Pro League on Saturday Nights. There are multiple rinks for hockey (many rinks for figure skating) and there is also Ball Hockey for adult-- with Hong Kong participating in 3 world championships and the youth league features almost 20 International schools. In addition to this there is a thriving Inline scene with divisions catering to every age category and skill set.

Hockey is played by ex-pats and locals in Hong Kong all over the city on ice and ground and most definitely has a presence in Asia. New state of the art ice rinks have just opened in Singapore and Bangkok while tournaments and leagues have been going on in Manilla for over a decade. Beijing and Shanghai have ice hockey leagues as does Macau and Tokyo. Ball hockey is thriving in Hong Kong, Japan, Taiwan, The Philippines, Thailand, Shenzhen (China), Seoul (S Korea) & Singapore. Major tournaments include "The Canton Cup (Asian Championships)" in Hong Kong in every May, "The Mekong Cup" in Phuket, Thailand every March, "The Yamato Cup" in Tokyo, Japan every October and "The Kimchi Cup" in Seoul every October.

NHL games are readily available on the Sports Channels in all major Asian cities with playoffs games found on the TVs in bars in Hong Kong.

But, yea, other than that, Hockey has zero presence in Asia. :handclap:

Reactions: Laodongxi

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
You obviously haven't been to Hong Kong lately where there is a thriving hockey scene with multiple divisions of Men's league, Women's league, Youth leagues and a Pro League on Saturday Nights. There are multiple rinks for hockey (many rinks for figure skating) and there is also Ball Hockey for adult-- with Hong Kong participating in 3 world championships and the youth league features almost 20 International schools. In addition to this there is a thriving Inline scene with divisions catering to every age category and skill set.

Hockey is played by ex-pats and locals in Hong Kong all over the city on ice and ground and most definitely has a presence in Asia. New state of the art ice rinks have just opened in Singapore and Bangkok while tournaments and leagues have been going on in Manilla for over a decade. Beijing and Shanghai have ice hockey leagues as does Macau and Tokyo. Ball hockey is thriving in Hong Kong, Japan, Taiwan, The Philippines, Thailand, Shenzhen (China), Seoul (S Korea) & Singapore. Major tournaments include "The Canton Cup (Asian Championships)" in Hong Kong in every May, "The Mekong Cup" in Phuket, Thailand every March, "The Yamato Cup" in Tokyo, Japan every October and "The Kimchi Cup" in Seoul every October.

NHL games are readily available on the Sports Channels in all major Asian cities with playoffs games found on the TVs in bars in Hong Kong.

But, yea, other than that, Hockey has zero presence in Asia. :handclap:

I sort of get where the other poster is coming from; the quality of hockey in HK is still very low. But the quantity of players in HK might surprise people who aren't from here.

There are numerous of hockey organizations with youth teams in such a small country, its in fact in the risk of eating itself unfortunately.

There is alot of young kids who want to play but with the limited arenas in the area (due to HUGE costs ... rinks are located in high-end malls and the rinks make most of their money on recreational skating), kids get maybe 2 hours a week of practice, which is obviously nothing.

With more people wanting to play, that 2 hours a week might get even smaller to an hour or less. What HK needs is an ice-facility to up its quality of play. But yes, hockey is here in HK, just not very strong.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong

It is in the culture. I am not sure about other Asian cultures but the Chinese are not too attracted to full contact sports as it appears dangerous and with no benefit for ones career.

Many Chinese don't see playing hockey or football (American) as a legitimate route to get into schools/colleges or finding a future job. It just isn't in the cards. School scouts don't come here and we don't have high paying leagues like the NHL.

In addition, full contact sports just do not meld with the Chinese character, which is more soft spoken and studious. Chinese put a huge emphasis on education and following rules; being different or adventurous just isn't a cultural thing. That is why our education system is extremely strong (although I will argue they have great grades but innovation is lacking) and we make excellent accountants :laugh:

So why take a contact sport seriously when it has little benefit for one's career, looks dangerous, and doesn't appeal to the Chinese culture?

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
So why take a contact sport seriously when it has little benefit for one's career, looks dangerous, and doesn't appeal to the Chinese culture?
because-its-the-cup-banner.jpg

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Loving people speaking in absolutes. "There will never be a Chinese trained player in the NHL" :rolleyes:

Why? Because right now they don't focus on the sport they never will? As hockey continues to grow and competition between China and the Western world continues to mount, their will be undoubtedly be an increased focus on improving their presence in other sports and winter sports in particular.

China has a population of 1.359 billion people! All it takes is one talented kid, to develop a passion for this majestic western sport where people skate around at super speed and hit, score, dangle in a prolific fashion called hockey. He trains, quickly moves up the Chinese ranks of hockey and by age 14-16 makes the move to Canada where he plays major junior and acclimates to the North American style of hockey. They'll be no different than any Europeans who make the move to NA after out-developing their national development programs.

Right now there is a huge disparity between the rich and poor in China making it difficult for an exclusive sport like hockey to gain traction. As someone else stated, as the middle class in China continues to grow I think there will be more interest in an upper class sport like hockey.

Reactions: lawrence

robwangjing

Jul 10, 2013
Beijing
I also think that when the middle-class can afford more expensive sports we might see Chinese hockey grow. But since it's a winter sport I think it won't have that much of an affect. :( People will choose other sports or spend more on current ones.

Since playing in the Asian league seems to have no effect on popularity of the sport here in China, do you think if a Chinese(Beijing, Harbin or Shanghai) team would join the KHL or VHL would have a more positive effect? With similar fundings from Gazprom as European clubs receive.

Like I said in the KHL expansion thread before, I think that if there was a team in Beijing for example with good AHL-Americans and a few Asians in the roster I think it would be of more interest to watch than to watch the current China Dragon team with the worst roster in the league. Of course the Chinese players are not as good as the Japanese or Koreans, but the imports in Dragons are useless too compared to the other teams. Does anyone even expect them to win a single game, or even score more than 20 goals this season? I doubt.

I look at it like this.

First of all KHL is the next best league in the world, no doubt about that. So for any nation to have a team in this league means to be part of one of the biggest leagues in the sport. Hardly negative news for a small hockey nation.

Secondly, China and Russia has always had good relations, so if a Chinese team joins a Russian league it would be of positive effect in China from this point of view.

Thirdly I think that media would put more interest in this because of 1 and 2, so people would actually be able to read about hockey, and learn of the sport. Even if the news would just rise with a small margin it is still better than now.

1. What do you think, am I completely wrong or do you agree?
2. Would you rather watch a team of 90% imports and a few Asians play in KHL(China) or would you rather watch Dragons play in ALH?

Thanks to anyone who answers!:nod:

Sucro

Rhymesayers Fanboy
May 11, 2013
Vienna
Some of my thoughts:
1) Medvescak-type Chinese team in KHL-VHL doesn't mean that Dragons shouldn't be a thing in ALIH, though I don't see it any time soon without Chinese initiative
2) Japan is a priority for the KHL since hockey there is already developed enough to make a proper team with some home players, plus consider Korean Olympic participation, their federation might be willing to get a team as well.
3) China has money to make thier own championship more popular and to get more people involved before getting a team
4) A team in MHL-B can be created anytime
5) Harbin is a nice location for VHL team, the city has Russian roots and some hockey traditions. It might be even an affiliated team of Amur/Admiral
6) Team from Urumqi to Kazakh league?

robwangjing

Jul 10, 2013
Beijing
4) A team in MHL-B can be created anytime
5) Harbin is a nice location for VHL team, the city has Russian roots and some hockey traditions. It might be even an affiliated team of Amur/Admiral
I thought you said many clever things, but this looks the most interesting to me. And I think it could actually work from day one.

To find Chinese initiative you really must talk to the right person. So I am hoping Russians of VHL/Federation are seriously looking for the right persons to talk to.

A Chinese team in the north in MHL-B and also one in VHL would be great. And as you said it could be affiliated to Amur or Admiral. Or maybe affiliated to both.:nod:

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010
consanguinephysics.wordpress.com
Loving people speaking in absolutes. "There will never be a Chinese trained player in the NHL" :rolleyes:

Why? Because right now they don't focus on the sport they never will? As hockey continues to grow and competition between China and the Western world continues to mount, their will be undoubtedly be an increased focus on improving their presence in other sports and winter sports in particular.

China has a population of 1.359 billion people! All it takes is one talented kid, to develop a passion for this majestic western sport where people skate around at super speed and hit, score, dangle in a prolific fashion called hockey. He trains, quickly moves up the Chinese ranks of hockey and by age 14-16 makes the move to Canada where he plays major junior and acclimates to the North American style of hockey. They'll be no different than any Europeans who make the move to NA after out-developing their national development programs.

Right now there is a huge disparity between the rich and poor in China making it difficult for an exclusive sport like hockey to gain traction. As someone else stated, as the middle class in China continues to grow I think there will be more interest in an upper class sport like hockey.

I think a move to Russia would be more realistic for a Chinese hockey phenom... playing MHL-A/B and then VHL to finally play in the KHL, although I could see a Chinese hockey phenom moving to BC if it was better for hockey reasons than Khabarovsk/Vladivostok.

Again, I believe that a Chinese-born and trained player playing his first KHL/NHL game (even if he was to play his last game at the highest level that day) would be a major accomplishment to the eyes of the Chinese hockey federation. It's still IMO ~20 years away...

whlscowt

Coolrunnings.jpg

Never say never guys. All it takes is a couple of kids with a dream, and some expert comedic coach with great screen charisma.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Having lived in China for a very long time I can honestly tell you that hockey is a joke over here.

In China it's a sport for spoiled rich kids.

The women play way better than the men. I'm not joking. If you've played junior C hockey and quit playing hockey within the last 15 years imagine this: Clone yourself enough times to fill out an entire roster.

I don't care what position you play you will be playing all positions.

Now. To make things fair, you're not allowed to play the body (they are) take slap shots or block shots.

Man no way. It wouldn't be fair. you'd still slaughter them.

The women's national team has improved over the years and it'll get better, but I do not expect to see the Chinese men's national team qualify for the Olympics in my lifetime.

Reactions: lawrence

VP

Jul 1, 2016
Now that China is trying to make a team in the Beijing olympics and developing chinese players in the khl team red star kunlun does anyone know, what are they doing developing junior players? Is there any special plan for 15-20 year old juniors?

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Now that China is trying to make a team in the Beijing olympics and developing chinese players in the khl team red star kunlun does anyone know, what are they doing developing junior players? Is there any special plan for 15-20 year old juniors?

We are all guessing the Kunlun will use China Dragon in the Asia League as their development team, and then whereever China Dragon get their youth players from - probably Harbin.

It'll take time but as mentioned in previous threads there are plenty of overseas chinese and hockey is reasonably popular in HK these days so they at least have some places to look for to try and develop players.

trebor204

Jul 3, 2013
With China hosting the 2022 Winter Olympics, it could be interesting to see how they deal with the Chinese teams. Right now the Men are ranked 37th and the Women are ranked 16th.

Korea on the other hand is ranked 23th in both Men's and Women's.
In 2018, the Korea Men will be in a group with Canada. The women will be Group B, along with the lower seeded teams.

Can you imagine Team Canada with NHL all-stars playing against China.

Demitra

Jan 4, 2017
Croatia
With China hosting the 2022 Winter Olympics, it could be interesting to see how they deal with the Chinese teams. Right now the Men are ranked 37th and the Women are ranked 16th.

Korea on the other hand is ranked 23th in both Men's and Women's.
In 2018, the Korea Men will be in a group with Canada. The women will be Group B, along with the lower seeded teams.

Can you imagine Team Canada with NHL all-stars playing against China.

By 2018 and 2022 China might have a decent number of players from Kunlun with Finnish/Swedish/Russian/NA origins in their roster if they do the similar thing as Croatian MedveÅ¡čak and some other countries and clubs in lesser extent.

singlesliceofcheese

May 9, 2018
Well, it may occur quite soon, especially if China reaches their 20m. registered player goal (.000000000001% certain they will). Good call, haha.

bobby183

Sep 10, 2016
Vancouver and Tokyo
China will become a force in International hockey in the future.
It will take another 8 years though!

I visited Beijing this past July to attend my kid's hockey tournament, CCM Cup Beijing Int'l invitational. U8 U10 U12 U14 and U16. 20 to 25 teams per each age group.

What we saw was an ok hockey in U12 equivalent to low AA hockey in Canada. U14 and U16 were not so strong, equivalent to A level. BUT what was surprising to see was that U10 and younger Chinese teams were very good...about same as a low to mid AAA spring teams in Canada. Apparently most of these kids began playing at age 6.
Many of these Chinese teams are coached by Russians. So they play Russian style hockey.

At the first tier cities in China, large population of middle class and upper class supports the new minor hockey participants.

The Chinese government announced that it will build over 400 sheets of hockey ice/arenas in the next few years as part of its commitment to grow and establish ice hockey from the roots.

Today 10 years olds and younger Chinese are developing well and strong. So give it another 7 to 8 years for China to have a descent caliber players playing for its national team in U18 Championship tournament and then the Olympics.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

I visited Beijing this past July to attend my kid's hockey tournament, CCM Cup Beijing Int'l invitational. U8 U10 U12 U14 and U16. 20 to 25 teams per each age group.

What we saw was an ok hockey in U12 equivalent to low AA hockey in Canada. U14 and U16 were not so strong, equivalent to A level. BUT what was surprising to see was that U10 and younger Chinese teams were very good...about same as a low to mid AAA spring teams in Canada. Apparently most of these kids began playing at age 6.
Many of these Chinese teams are coached by Russians. So they play Russian style hockey.

At the first tier cities in China, large population of middle class and upper class supports the new minor hockey participants.

The Chinese government announced that it will build over 400 sheets of hockey ice/arenas in the next few years as part of its commitment to grow and establish ice hockey from the roots.

Today 10 years olds and younger Chinese are developing well and strong. So give it another 7 to 8 years for China to have a descent caliber players playing for its national team in U18 Championship tournament and then the Olympics.

I could see China loving hockey (moreso than Japan), but I still think it's going to take a long while before any big interest takes place. Even if its only 2-3% growth in the sport, that's still growing the game.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010

The biggest problem of China is lack of national competition. I do not know about kids and youth hockey, but there is no national hockey league on senior level. There is no room for development of 18+ players, who need to leave the country or quit the hockey. Yes, with the KRS they started to create the system, but it is not enough. The KRS has just one MHL (junior) team, and younger players train in US or Canada. There needs to be Chinese junior league, multiple tiers. Plus they need to launch national senior league. They started to co-operate with the Russian VHL - to create the Silk Road Cup-the VHL competition on senior level. That is good, but not enough.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
By 2018 and 2022 China might have a decent number of players from Kunlun with Finnish/Swedish/Russian/NA origins in their roster if they do the similar thing as Croatian MedveÅ¡čak and some other countries and clubs in lesser extent.
I don't think the chinese team will look to other ethnicities than Han chinese here as well.. Few of their own minorities play in national teams, unlikely that they would take foreigners on the team.

Reactions: VP

mapleafs4life

Oct 11, 2018
I'm curious, did the olympics in Japan have any positive affect on the national team in the years following?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->