Chicago owner Wirtz to be on MOJO Vancouver in a couple of minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Nice thread guys. The server doesn't need to be overloaded with trash. Either talk about the topic or I will just lighten the server load with one week vacations.

starsgal09

May 1, 2005
He's all upset about shutting down the league for the Olympics. He's there to represent Blackhawks fans, and Blackhawks fans don't want to see hockey in June.

Yeah...they'd like to SEE it period. Like TV????

He thinks the league should do more World Cup...

Roger's Pancreas*

starsgal09 said:
He's all upset about shutting down the league for the Olympics. He's there to represent Blackhawks fans, and Blackhawks fans don't want to see hockey in June.

Are you sure he owns the Blackhawks? Those things don't sound like a man who wants to build a successful franchise but rather one that's willing to watch it fail miserably.

RedSoxNation

Jan 31, 2005
starsgal09 said:
Blackhawks fans don't want to see hockey in June.
Somehow i don't think that's going to be much of an issue for Blackhawks fans for many June's to come

puckhead103*

Wetcoaster said:
Obviously you have not read the Bill Wirtz expose - "Career Misconduct"

http://www.careermisconduct.com/
BTW the book was authored by Mark Weinberg, an attorney who lives in Chicago. He has been a Blackhawks fan for over 30 years. For eight years, he published a hockey program, The Blue Line, which chronicled game-by-game the activities of Bill Wirtz, the Blackhawks, and the NHL. He is a graduate of Yale University and the University of Chicago School of Law.

From the book's introduction:

i had finished russ conway's "game misconduct" and how both eagleson and wirtz were basically "in the bed" together when it came to screwing NHL players (ie bobby orr)...

bhawk24bob

Jan 25, 2005
Randy May said:
Count me as standing up...at the very least we can definitely say that the lockout happened in spite of Wirtz. You can call it archaic, or you can call it old school conservative. Wirtz is definitely his own man.

And besides...what's not to love about Wirtz...he owns/controls more booze than anyone in the midwest and owns an NHL hockey team...that's pretty much my dream job!

I laugh when cynics try to both portray Wirtz as a crotchety old drunk and lazy buffoon and then also speak of his constant acts of greedy and power hungry persuasive and lawbending acts. How can you be both that lazy... and at the same time the architect of one of the most succesful business models America has ever seen? Sure he inherited some of it, but most of it is his own doing.

it's not the cynics that portray wirtz as a crotchety old drunk and lazy bufffoon......that's what he is.

your understanding of bill wirtz is laughable at best

GSC2k2*

bhawk24bob said:
it's not the cynics that portray wirtz as a crotchety old drunk and lazy bufffoon......that's what he is.

your understanding of bill wirtz is laughable at best
Hyuck, hyuck, well that there's good enuff fer me!!!!!!!

Your understanding of what constitutes a compelling well-reasoned position is laughable at best.

"The reason why Bill Wirtz sucks is .... because he does!!!!" :shakehead

JFPIV

May 18, 2002
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
starsgal09 said:
He's there to represent Blackhawks fans, and Blackhawks fans don't want to see hockey in June.

Well, they're generally playing for the Stanley Cup in June, so I'd love to see the Hawks playing in June, but don't expect it to happen with this regime in place.

And if you don't believe the book, you can read the pleadings from the lawsuit that the players association filed against Eagleson and Wirtz and others alleging that Ziegler and Wirtz (who was then the chairman of its board of governors) conspired to bribe Eagleson to sell out the players' interests in collective bargaining.

Last edited:

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
starsgal09 said:

He doesn`t want the games on TV because he thinks it will hurt attendance. Has this policy been successful? Well, last season Chicago ranked 27th out of 30 teams in attendance. You be the judge.

and at the same time the architect of one of the most succesful business models America has ever seen?

If he qualifies as an architect of a successful business model then so does Paris Hilton and Anna Nicole Smith.

SopelFan*

" Somehow i don't think that's going to be much of an issue for Blackhawks fans for many June's to come"

LOL.

Hawkalyzer

Jun 9, 2003
Visit site
Wirtz is a dinosaur. Anyone who defends him on anything from not televising home games to his other business deals probably has the last name "Wirtz".

Stuy

Jun 12, 2002
Calgary
stuy.proboards51.com
I could go on and on about Wirtz. I have read Career Miscinduct. Great book.

The other day at the press confernce Wirtz said to a reporter after being askeb about not showing home games on TV yet again "You don't give your newspaper away for free do you?

He's satan. Plain and simple. A real life Mr. Burns

Stuy

Jun 12, 2002
Calgary
stuy.proboards51.com
I wrote this article for Hockey-Humor.com last year. Got lots of good feedback.

Just to many coincidences

March 10/04 by Stuy

Sometimes I wonder about the characters in my favorite shows. Are any of them based on real life characters? For instance take The Simpson's. My favorite show of all time. Matt Groening says the Simpson family is based on his real life family. But what about the surrounding character. Sometimes I wonder if Matt is a hockey fan and was his favorite team the Chicago Blackhawks? As some know by now they are my favorite team (as bad as they are) and have been for a long time. Watching and listening to what Blackhawk management say and do I wonder sometimes if the characters for Mr. Burns and Waylon Smithers came right from the front office. There's just to many coincidences. Lets name some shall we. Mr. Burns is rich and owns the towns nuclear power plant. Mr. Wirtz is also rich and owns the Blackhawks along with many other big businesses. Mr. Burns is always complaining he has no money to give employees raises or to fix up the nuclear power plant when in reality he has more than enough. Mr. Wirtz often complains the Blackhawks are losing money and has no money to pay players and often ships out fan favorite players come contract time. When in reality he's one of the richest men in the world. Mr. Burns is supposed to be 104 years old. Mr. Wirtz looks that old. Mr. Burns is portrayed as being evil. Mr. Wirtz is seen this way by most Blackhawk fans. Mr. Burns has complete morons working in his plant like Homer, Lenny and Carl. Mr. Wirtz also has his fair share of morons running his orga-I-zation such as Brian Sutter, former GM Mike Smith and well the list here is endless. As you can see the coincidences are many. But what about Mr. Smithers? Well in my opinion Bob Pulford fits the bill. There's just to many coincidences here also. Mr. Smithers is Mr. Burns assistant. Pulford is Wirtz's right hand man and has been for many years. Smither's is always kissing Burns butt and makes for a great "yes" man. Pulford is one in the same. Smither's is gay and believes "women and sea-men don't mix." Pulford......well......you'll have to ask Bob about that one. But you get my point. Anyway next time your watching The Simpson's think of this article and you'll see what I see. I'm sure of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->