Chiarelli Should Be Forced To Choose Between POHO or GM If He Stays

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Eberle had zero goal in the playoffs and had a terrible regular season...they won in spite of him
Pitlick and Oesterle were injured or didn't help the team win at all last year

I expected them not to be scored on the first shot 14 times this season
I didn't expect their combined special teams to be the worst in the league

I expected them, however, to make the playoffs like 99% of the fans and media did

Everyone did. The penalty kill falls on both Talbot and the systems inability to stop a cross ice pass. The PP is all on the coaches. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a misuse of players and lazy PP strategy in all of my years watching hockey.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Eberle had zero goals in the playoffs and had a terrible regular season...they won in spite of him
Pitlick and Oesterle were injured or didn't help the team win at all last year
He had a terrible season and yet still finished third on the team in points. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I expected them not to be scored on the first shot 14 times this season
I didn't expect their combined special teams to be the worst in the league

I expected them, however, to make the playoffs like 99% of the fans and media did
You didn't answer my question. Do you think it was reasonable to expect that they'd get the same luck with injuries, depth scoring, and goaltending this year?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
He had a terrible season and yet still finished third on the team in points. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
and? do you disagree he had a bad regular season and worse playoffs?
Eberle got taken off the PP and replaced with Letestu and the PP went to #5 overall last year

You didn't answer my question. Do you think it was reasonable to expect that they'd get the same luck with injuries, depth scoring, and goaltending this year?
I thought Talbot would play like Talbot yes...no evidence to suggest otherwise
depth scoring? I thought Strome, Puljujarvi, Caggulia and even Slepy could cover Eberle
injuries? who knows, but yes, I thought they had enough to cover injuries

again, I had them in the playoffs so obviously I thought is was reasonable...47 wins? probably not but playoffs for sure

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Funny how 90% of this forum was ready to dump Pitlick because he was once again on the IR, but now they're pining for his return.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
depth scoring? I thought Strome, Puljujarvi, Caggulia and even Slepy could cover Eberle

Talbot sewered the season undoubtedly.

How does a guy go from finishing fourth in Vezina voting to close to playing himself out of the league the next season?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
we were only a Pitlick away from contenders
If only.

We're competent wingers/defense/goaltending/management/coaching away from contention.

How many did he play last year?
31. Maybe the Oilers should've brought in more protection.

Roster In/Out:

IN:
Jokinen/Cammalleri: 3 goals, 19 assists, 22 points
Nathan Walker: Lol nothing
Brandon Davidson: 3 goals, 1 assist, 4 points
Ty Rattie: 4 goals, 3 assists, 7 points
Yohann Auvitu: 3 goals, 6 assists, 9 points
Ryan Strome: 13 goals, 20 assists, 33 points

Total: 26 goals, 53 assists, 79 points

OUT:
Jordan Oesterle: 5 goals, 10 assists, 15 points
Tyler Pitlick: 14 goals, 12 assists, 26 points
Beniot Pouliot: 13 goals, 6 assists, 19 points
David Desharnais: 6 goals, 22 assists, 28 points
Matt Hendricks: 5 goals, 8 assists, 13 points
Jordan Eberle: 25 goals, 32 assists, 57 points

Total: 68 goals, 90 assists, 158 points

Twice the production shipped out.

Reactions: PGW and Aerrol

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
and? do you disagree he had a bad regular season and worse playoffs?
Eberle got taken off the PP and replaced with Letestu and the PP went to #5 overall last year
So shouldn't it tell you something about our forward depth if he had a bad season and was third in scoring still? A smart GM would have bolstered the forward group in the offseason, not decimated it even further.

again, I had them in the playoffs so obviously I thought is was reasonable...47 wins? probably not but playoffs for sure
Talbot played 86 games last year, statistically goalies who have that kind of workload play poorly the next year. A huge Chia mistake that's constantly overlooked was his failure to acquire a competent backup goalie.

None of those 4 players outside of Puljujarvi (who's 19) has shown anything even close to Eberle's offensive ability. Eberle's career worst totals are still better than Strome's career high season, who's put up the most points of anyone in that group. There's also a huge fallacy in expecting 4 players to cover Eberle's production when in practice they'd need to cover Eberle's production + the 3 other players that would also be in the lineup.

What depth? If McDavid, Klefbom, or Talbot missed significant time this year they'd be dead last. Outside of losing Sekera the team has been pretty healthy this year and they're still trash.

Obviously you and many other fans along with the media drank the kool-aid from that playoff "run" (if you can call winning one round a run) last season and weren't able to look at this roster objectively. Myself along with many others spent the entire summer criticizing management for going into the season with a piss-poor roster. Regression was inevitable this season and no one should be surprised at what ended up happening. I get that everyone was happy that we finally ended the no playoffs streak but we should be striving for more than one playoff appearance in three years with the best player in the world on the roster.

Reactions: PGW

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Talbot sewered the season undoubtedly.

How does a guy go from finishing fourth in Vezina voting to close to playing himself out of the league the next season?
By being forced to play 86 games the season before. If Chia had acquired a good backup last season Talbot would probably be putting up better numbers and we'd probably be above Calgary in the standings.

Reactions: Aerrol

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
If only.

We're competent wingers/defense/goaltending/management/coaching away from contention.

31. Maybe the Oilers should've brought in more protection.

SNIP USELESS STUFF

More protection would have saved Glass Body from blowing up on the first hard hit he took?

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I mean, if you guys wanna cheer for useless prospects, you can cheer for that legacy pick, Dillon Simpson.

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
A guy that outscored our entire winger depth without the benefit of a McDavid is useless?

What would you classify Milan Lucic as this year if not useless?

A guy having a bad year? That does happen. If he stinks again next year, then we have an issue.

Pitlick is literally finally having his first healthy season. He wasn't healthy here. Not. Once.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
A guy having a bad year? That does happen. If he stinks again next year, then we have an issue.

Pitlick is literally finally having his first healthy season. He wasn't healthy here. Not. Once.
Having a bad year? He has ONE goal in the last half of the season! That's not having a bad year, that's being tremendously awful in a year the Oilers needed him to be at least average. And he's far from the only one who isn't having a good year.

If your name isn't McDavid, Draisatl, Nugent-Hopkins, Nurse, or Khaira, you haven't helped the team this year.

Notice that none of those players were brought in by the current GM?

Lucic: 10 goals
Pitlick: 14 goals

No McDavid time for Pitlick. At least 30 games for Lucic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad