Chia overseeing oil kings, oilers and condors?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Daryl Katz doesn't do press conferences. He let's dumb asses like Lowe and Mact make fools of themselves and the organization not to mention the city instead.

How anyone defends these clowns anymore is beyond me. Yes he should have been doing it sooner buy later is better than never. Or would you prefer he goes back to ignoring the elephant in the room?

This is what people here have been asking for. For years. Now that some people are speaking up about it they are attacked.

Its quite sad actually.
I don’t really see anybody defending those clowns. IMO, Gregor loses some credibility here because the question he asked during the Nicholson press conference was the weakest one of the day. He asked about the fan experience at Rogers. That was his opportunity to take a shot across the bow.

Reactions: TB12
Oct 15, 2008
He's acting like a cowardly keyboard warrior. He's not speaking up about facts or anything he has knowledge about because he's too scared to actually ask the actual questions to those who can answer them (doesn't have to be Katz lol). No one is defending management here.

This isn't decent journalism. This is something you'd expect Francis, Cox or O'Dog to write. Like I said it's weaksauce .

I wasn't aware that Chia oversees the Oil Kings. It was my understanding he was responsible for the Oilers, like most GM's around the league are and have always been. Further to that I'd never seen anyone mention it here. Ever. I agree with Gregor here and think its assinine, but not surprising considering this is Daryl Katz and the Oilers we are talking about.

Its not a very well crafted piece and he repeats himself over and over again. For a minute there I was wondering if Gregor is Soundwave.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I wasn't aware that Chia oversees the Oil Kings. It was my understanding he was responsible for the Oilers, like most GM's around the league are and have always been. Further to that I'd never seen anyone mention it here. Ever. I agree with Gregor here and think its assinine, but not surprising considering this is Daryl Katz and the Oilers we are talking about.

Its not a very well crafted piece and he repeats himself over and over again. For a minute there I was wondering if Gregor is Soundwave.
If he keeps writing the same article over and over again I’ll think you’re on to something.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Like Gregor said, only one other NHL team owns and runs a major junior club, the Flames. The Flames GM isn't also their POHO like Chia is for the Oilers. The oil kings are hockey related operations, how is it asinine that they would fall under the umbrella of the POHO? He has two former NHL GMs and a bunch of others to delegate all of that work to. It's a non story.

Oct 15, 2008
Like Gregor said, only one other NHL team owns and runs a major junior club, the Flames. The Flames GM isn't also their POHO like Chia is for the Oilers. The oil kings are hockey related operations, how is it asinine that they would fall under the umbrella of the POHO? He has two former NHL GMs and a bunch of others to delegate all of that work to. It's a non story.

A non story? I would think an organization with the dearth of success that this one has wouldnt be wasting any man hours on anything not specific to being much much better. Frankly your complacency just allows their ineptitude to continue unabated.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
A non story? I would think an organization with the dearth of success that this one has wouldnt be wasting any man hours on anything not specific to being much much better. Frankly your complacency just allows their ineptitude to continue unabated.

Speaking of asinine. :huh:

I bet Chia spends about half a hour a month dealing with anything to do with the Oil Kings. You can run up and down the streets screaming about how asinine that is if you want I guess.

Them owning the Oil Kings and running it is the equivalent of a hotel owning its own parking lot and being able to make a bunch of money at no risk and very little cost because they already own the land.

Oct 15, 2008
Speaking of asinine. :huh:

I bet Chia spends about half a hour a month dealing with anything to do with the Oil Kings. You can run up and down the streets screaming about how asinine that is if you want I guess.

Them owning the Oil Kings and running it is the equivalent of a hotel owning its own parking lot and being able to make a bunch of money at no risk and very little cost because they already own the land.

Sorry but running a whl team is not easy. There is extensive scouting, drafting, and all the administrative stuff, it is not a joke undertaking as you suggest. I don't GAF about these losers anymore so they can sewer for the next fifty years if they want. Anyone who buys tickets to watch this garbage team at this point is a bigger fool than the owner.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Sorry but running a whl team is not easy. There is extensive scouting, drafting, and all the administrative stuff, it is not a joke undertaking as you suggest. I don't GAF about these losers anymore so they can sewer for the next fifty years if they want. Anyone who buys tickets to watch this garbage team at this point is a bigger fool than the owner.

The Oil Kings have a GM(Randy Hansch) to look after all those things.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

I didn't suggest it was a joke at all. I suggested that Chia has two former NHL GMs and a ton of other staff working under him that take care of it all.

The only thing that is a joke is people getting their panties in a knot because the PRESIDENT OF HOCKEY OPERATIONS for all things owned by the Oilers Entertainment Group has a junior hockey team included under his umbrella of his title.

If that makes you think that anyone that understands that simple concept is a fool then...cheers bud.

Reactions: oilers'72
Oct 15, 2008
I didn't suggest it was a joke at all. I suggested that Chia has two former NHL GMs and a ton of other staff working under him that take care of it all.

The only thing that is a joke is people getting their panties in a knot because the PRESIDENT OF HOCKEY OPERATIONS for all things owned by the Oilers Entertainment Group has a junior hockey team included under his umbrella of his title.

If that makes you think that anyone that understands that simple concept is a fool then...cheers bud.
Show me one NHL team that delegates their gm to look after a hockey team that has nothing to do with their NHL team. You can't because they don't exist. You don't think it matters I'm gonna agree to disagree.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Show me one NHL team that delegates their gm to look after a hockey team that has nothing to do with their NHL team. You can't because they don't exist. You don't think it matters I'm gonna agree to disagree.

There's only one other team that has a WHL team. Their President of Hockey Operations oversees that team. Our President of Hockey Operations does the same thing. Not sure what's so difficult to understand...

The Oil Kings have their own management that looks after everything to do with the team. They report to "The President of Hockey Operations" of the company.

This is just people looking for something to be upset about. This team sucks enough at all levels besides McDavid and a few select others. There is plenty to be upset about.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
One of the things that annoys the f*** out of me is how often they draft or trade for former Oil Kings players. Not a single one of those picks/trades has turned out as far as I can tell. I guess there’s a chance Brossoit turns out, but I doubt it. If the idea is that they’re grooming their own junior talent for the parent club, then they are doing an absolutely shitty job it.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
One of the things that annoys the **** out of me is how often they draft or trade for former Oil Kings players. Not a single one of those picks/trades has turned out as far as I can tell. I guess there’s a chance Brossoit turns out, but I doubt it. If the idea is that they’re grooming their own junior talent for the parent club, then they are doing an absolutely ****ty job it.

Who was the last former Oil King they acquired? Griff?

Think they learned their lesson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad