Chia overseeing oil kings, oilers and condors?

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
This just shows that Pete is focusing more and more on his POHO role, and as such, he'll need to hire a GM of the Oilers soon. Right? Please?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
so what? Sounds okay to me. I'm sure he's delegating to underlings. I definitely doubt this means that Lowe or MacT have authority

Reactions: nabob

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I mean there is potential they just changed this info today on the site. Really don't know. Never really looked. Just seems odd that no one has ever called this out, and I suspect this is going to be a story the next little bit.
It's a recent change to the team website. Chiarelli has always been listed on the Management page but now he's also on the Front Office page with a slightly different bio that mentions the Oil Kings.

Management bio: "On April 23, 2015, Peter Chiarelli was named President of Hockey Operations and General Manager.

Chiarelli, 52, reports to CEO Bob Nicholson, and is responsible for all aspects of hockey operations."

Front Office bio: "Peter Chiarelli is the President & GM, Hockey Operations in the OEG Executive structure, responsible for Oilers, Oil Kings and Bakersfield hockey operations. Prior to joining Oilers Entertainment Group in April 2015, Peter served as General Manager for the Boston Bruins for 9 years."

The only archive Wayback Machine has of the FO page is from December 22, 2017 and Chiarelli isn't on there.

The management/front office pages aren't always kept up-to-date so this might not mean anything. Maybe Chiarelli has been working with the Oil Kings since he got here.

Last edited:

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I'm pretty sure this is just him doing his "president of hockey operations" job. That said, he should be relieved of that title immediately, along with the GM job, then fined his entire salary for deliberate sabotage of an NHL franchise. Bob Nicholson can suffer the same fate.

Reactions: Oscar Acosta

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Gregor has written 2 pretty scathing articles of the Oilers lately (and I don't disagree with him or that they should be free from scorn).
But when given a chance to ask a question at the Nicholson presser, Gregor asks a question about "the fan experience at Rogers Place".
Hard hitting journalism.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Chiarelli does have the POHO so it shouldn’t be a surprise he oversees the Oil Kings in some capacity. The Oil Kings are owned by OEG. Who knows how big of a roll if any he plays in the day to day operations but it’s not a surprise to me that he’d be doing some kind of year end evaluation on them or Bakersfield. Especially this year when neither team was very successful on the ice.

Not sure what Gregor is ranting about when he says no other GM has to do this. He answers why in his own article when he mentions only the Oilers and Flames own junior hockey teams. Trevelling is the GM of the Flames, not the POHO. That’s probably why he isn’t doing an evaluation himself.

Reactions: Night Witch

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Gregor has written 2 pretty scathing articles of the Oilers lately (and I don't disagree with him or that they should be free from scorn).
But when given a chance to ask a question at the Nicholson presser, Gregor asks a question about "the fan experience at Rogers Place".
Hard hitting journalism.
I don’t listen to Gregor but I’d love to hear him respond to this question if asked by one of his callers.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Maybe this means that we're finally kicking MacT to the curb or at least to the basement while he looks for his stapler. The AHL clearly needs an overhaul.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Hard hitting journalism.
This is exactly what I was thinking when posting yesterday. Guy had a chance to call this out but instead writes an article and pretends that this is brand new news that has just been released.

He had the stage to ask the hardball question as did a lot of others. Instead they focus on Paul Coffey as being the first issue and in game performance.

Don't get me wrong these are questions that need to be made public, but it's really something that should've been brought up a long time ago. Especially if you really fell that this is such a major issue. Heck why not even ask PC himself why he is spending time working with a WHL club.

Reactions: TB12

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I frankly don't understand. How do the Oil Kings fall under his umbrella of responsibilities? How do they affect the Oilers?

I hate the leaders of this organization. So confusing and opaque, I just can't put logic to some of their comments and a whole bunch of their actions.

They make Katz money.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I supported Gregor for the first article he wrote because I suspected something like that would be going on and I thought it needed to be talked about. I find the second article puzzling. He pretty much answers the question of why Chiarelli is the only GM evaluating himself in the article and then criticizes the team for not giving him enough help. I’m not sure how he writes that days after complaining those above him are meddling. Are they meddling or does he need help?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I supported Gregor for the first article he wrote because I suspected something like that would be going on and I thought it needed to be talked about. I find the second article puzzling. He pretty much answers the question of why Chiarelli is the only GM evaluating himself in the article and then criticizes the team for not giving him enough help. I’m not sure how he writes that days after complaining those above him are meddling. Are they meddling or does he need help?

Psst. The meddling article was written by Spector.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
Get every old boy out of this f***ing city. Oilers are such a joke of an organization and it starts with he owner who can’t let go of the past like half the fans in this damn town.

Oct 15, 2008
It's an attempt to throw more fuel on the fire. Modern "journalism".

Or the media has finally decided to point the finger of blame where it actually belongs. Something posters here have been chiding them for not doing for years. This is one of if not the most poorly run organizations in the league if not in all pro sports. I'm grateful that someone has decided to shine a light into the darkness. Hopefully he doesn't get run out of town or silenced for it. Thankfully both his show and the radio station are free from the influence of the OEG and their information minister.

Oct 15, 2008

Why can't it be both? Meddling is the opposite of help, which I'm sure he could use. Then again he was probably crazy for agreeing to come here while they retained Blowe and Crapt. Let's face it, the owner IS the problem, and he isn't going anywhere. Welcome to the Ballard years.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Or the media has finally decided to point the finger of blame where it actually belongs. Something posters here have been chiding them for not doing for years. This is one of if not the most poorly run organizations in the league if not in all pro sports. I'm grateful that someone has decided to shine a light into the darkness. Hopefully he doesn't get run out of town or silenced for it. Thankfully both his show and the radio station are free from the influence of the OEG and their information minister.

If he would have been doing that he would have asked the questions when he had the chance instead of tossing softballs. Now he's sitting at his keyboard, with almost no factual knowledge, making a whole ton of assumptions, and sounds like an upset child. This isn't reporting, it's speculating, and it's weaksauce.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Not sure if this is good or bad. If he fully focused on the Oilers does that mean Chia would have done his trademark move more, trading away elite talent in their early 20's right before they hit their prime? :)

Oct 15, 2008
If he would have been doing that he would have asked the questions when he had the chance instead of tossing softballs. Now he's sitting at his keyboard, with almost no factual knowledge, making a whole ton of assumptions, and sounds like an upset child. This isn't reporting, it's speculating, and it's weaksauce.

Daryl Katz doesn't do press conferences. He let's dumb asses like Lowe and Mact make fools of themselves and the organization not to mention the city instead.

How anyone defends these clowns anymore is beyond me. Yes he should have been doing it sooner buy later is better than never. Or would you prefer he goes back to ignoring the elephant in the room?

This is what people here have been asking for. For years. Now that some people are speaking up about it they are attacked.

Its quite sad actually.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Daryl Katz doesn't do press conferences. He let's dumb asses like Lowe and Mact make fools of themselves and the organization not to mention the city instead.

How anyone defends these clowns anymore is beyond me. Yes he should have been doing it sooner buy later is better than never. Or would you prefer he goes back to ignoring the elephant in the room?

This is what people here have been asking for. For years. Now that some people are speaking up about it they are attacked.

Its quite sad actually.

He's acting like a cowardly keyboard warrior. He's not speaking up about facts or anything he has knowledge about because he's too scared to actually ask the actual questions to those who can answer them (doesn't have to be Katz lol). No one is defending management here.

This isn't decent journalism. This is something you'd expect Francis, Cox or O'Dog to write. Like I said it's weaksauce .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad