Chia overseeing oil kings, oilers and condors?

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Yeah, he's doing so well with the big team let's give him more teams to f up. This org.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
This says more about the Oilers Org than it does Chia. Aren’t Bakersfield supposed to be MacTavish’s baby? WTF does he do exactly if not oversee them?

If Katz is so obsessed with giving the OBC something to do let them go run the Oil Kings.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
All he is doing is evaluating them. Don't think it means he's been running all three.

Edit:

I’ve learned Chiarelli is not only evaluating everything in the Oilers, he is also doing an overview of their AHL team, the Condors, and will be doing a review of the Edmonton Oil Kings

Edit:

Who knows after going down it's a bit confusing. Not sure if Gregor has all the data

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I mean, is that weird? His title is President of Hockey Operations.

I'm quite sure he delegates almost all of the day to day stuff for the Condors and the Oil Kings onto others.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
This says more about the Oilers Org than it does Chia. Aren’t Bakersfield supposed to be MacTavish’s baby? WTF does he do exactly if not oversee them?

If Katz is so obsessed with giving the OBC something to do let them go run the Oil Kings.

maybe chia is oilers gm by title only because he has good rapport with other nhl gms and the obc ARE kind of running the show as puppet master and chia is the puppet. leaves chia enough time to oversee three teams. maybe not. who knows with this organization.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I'm quite sure he delegates almost all of the day to day stuff for the Condors and the Oil Kings onto others.
I'm thinking that you are probably right and he is just doing a mass review to make sure we have the proper personnel everywhere.

One thing is for sure, Gregor sounds fired up. His next show is going to be a shit show.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Gregor said he's doing exit interviews with OK players. Doesn't sounds hands-off to me.

Reactions: OilDrop37

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Gregor said he's doing exit interviews with OK players. Doesn't sounds hands-off to me.
That's because he's doing a review of everything. I don't know that PC has done this in the past or even spent a lot of time with players from there

It somewhat makes sense. I mean if you are doing a review from top to bottom. I'd like to see the guy doing the review talking to people through out the organization.

Whether or not PC is the guy to be doing that is the debate, not why is he talking to AHL players.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
What's the annual revenue for the oil kings? Does it even equal Drai's salary? Chiarelli should have as much to do with them as Bob Nicholson has with the oilers, which is basically an 'overseeing' role.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Condors makes sense. There's the direct link to the team so if their coaching is subpar or their management isn't bringing in the right players to help develop the Oilers prospects then it is detrimental to the team. I'm guessing this is just an end of season evaluation of their GM Bill Scott and coaches Gerry Fleming, Tony Borgford and JF Houle. I doubt he has anything to do with the day to day operations of the team though.

Oil Kings makes no sense though and is just piling on.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
That's because he's doing a review of everything. I don't know that PC has done this in the past or even spent a lot of time with players from there

It somewhat makes sense. I mean if you are doing a review from top to bottom. I'd like to see the guy doing the review talking to people through out the organization.

Whether or not PC is the guy to be doing that is the debate, not why is he talking to AHL players.

IDGAF about the Oil Kings. They aren't part or the professional infrastructure of the Oilers so the Oilers' GM shouldn't be involved at all, I don't care if he's nominally the POHO: delegate that ****.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
maybe this is a sign he's slowly stepping away from the GM position and allowing K. Gretzky to take more of the reigns while he's does more OEG things like "evaluating" everyone under the OEG

but this Organization is so f***ed up who knows what or why he's the one doing it

either way is beyond dumb IMO

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
I frankly don't understand. How do the Oil Kings fall under his umbrella of responsibilities? How do they affect the Oilers?

I hate the leaders of this organization. So confusing and opaque, I just can't put logic to some of their comments and a whole bunch of their actions.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I wonder if his "overseeing" the Oilkings from a business perspective, assisting them in reviewing their financials, finding areas of weakness and growth.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So tired of this level of "journalism".

"I've learned"

Put a name on it.
Thought it was quite clear he learned from the press conference and then looking at what PC's title was

I think the problem is no one has asked the question in the past. All the information was there.

There just is nothing new here. If anything it's actually pathetic to complain about something that really by clicking on the Oiler website you would've know a long time ago.

As per the site and gregor's article.

Peter Chiarelli is the President & GM, Hockey Operations in the OEG Executive structure, responsible for Oilers, Oil Kings and Bakersfield hockey operations.”

Front Office

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
without calling out individual posters I do not think some understand structure and business paradigms of structure

Chia Pet is head of hockey operations for the Oiler family which included Gm of the Oilers

In Bakersfield Condors Bill Scott is GM

here is their structure

BakersfieldCondors.com | Front Office

the oiler kings

Staff Directory – Edmonton Oil Kings

Chia pet will have very little to do with the day to day operations of either team, He will more the likely attending either once a week meetings or once a month meeting on both team

Reactions: nabob

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Thought it was quite clear he learned from the press conference and then looking at what PC's title was

I think the problem is no one has asked the question in the past. All the information was there.

There just is nothing new here. If anything it's actually pathetic to complain about something that really by clicking on the Oiler website you would've know a long time ago.

As per the site and gregor's article.

Peter Chiarelli is the President & GM, Hockey Operations in the OEG Executive structure, responsible for Oilers, Oil Kings and Bakersfield hockey operations.”

Front Office

Hmm. Well, there you go.

I always thought he was the President of Hockey Operations for just the Oilers instead of the OEG.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Hmm. Well, there you go.

I always thought he was the Hockey Operations for just the Oilers instead of the OEG.
Don't get me wrong it's news to me too, but can anyone even be mad including Gregor? If anything this is poor journalism based on something that should've been brought up at the Nicholoson pressor.

I mean there is potential they just changed this info today on the site. Really don't know. Never really looked. Just seems odd that no one has ever called this out, and I suspect this is going to be a story the next little bit.

Reactions: nabob

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
The Grant MacEwan Griffins use the community rink for practice. This means Chia is overseeing them too right?

Reactions: RegDunlop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad