Confirmed with Link: [CHI/VGK/CAR] Kruger to Vegas, and then Carolina for a 2018 5th.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Woof a 5th. I totally understand building for the future but with the return Methot Schlemko and now Kruger got why not just hold on to them?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Woof a 5th. I totally understand building for the future but with the return Methot Schlemko and now Kruger got why not just hold on to them?

We got a 2017 2nd and a 2018 5th for TVR and Kruger, essentially. The fact that it took a week or two to consummate the deal doesn't mean much.

This was done prior to the expansion draft, and we basically punted on players from Carolina and Chicago for picks. Considering the roster situation as it is now and the fact that we were going to wind up with too many players after the expansion draft as it is, I don't think it went too poorly.

Would have liked to have kept TVR though.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Later draft picks are only "hope and pray" for the future

The Knights need some real players now.

Going the wrong direction, boys, going in the wrong direction.

They're honoring their end of the bargain. This was worked out 2 weeks ago.

Vegas didn't have to flip Kruger for a 5th just like Chicago didn't have to trade Kruger to Vegas.

Having said that, should McPhee asked Carolina for more 2 weeks ago? Probably. I would have liked to have seen Smallman added. Or they could have held on to TVR. Hell they could have hung on to Methot. Come to think of it Sbisa was a strange pick. Where was I going with this?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
We got a 2017 2nd and a 2018 5th for TVR and Kruger, essentially. The fact that it took a week or two to consummate the deal doesn't mean much.

This was done prior to the expansion draft, and we basically punted on players from Carolina and Chicago for picks. Considering the roster situation as it is now and the fact that we were going to wind up with too many players after the expansion draft as it is, I don't think it went too poorly.

Would have liked to have kept TVR though.
Ah forgot about that aspect of it, it was part of a bigger trade that included a 2nd. I stand by disliking the Methot and Schlemko deals though.

DucksAreCool

Feb 24, 2015
I thought Las Vegas did a pretty good job at the expansion draft but as we're getting a bit clearer picture I think it's more of a mixed bag than I initially thought. I think there's been some value left on the table.

The first three seasons will be tough and there's a lot of work to lay the groundwork for a good team in year four. Of course, building a good team and building a contender are two different things and so much depends on the player development system once they get to Las Vegas.

Last edited:

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'm hoping the front office had a plan they developed while preparing for the expansion draft.

I'm hoping that they're following the plan 100%.

I'm hoping that when the chance to make a transaction comes up, they evaluate the potential move to see if it fits in with their prescribed plan.

I'm hoping they do that all season until it comes time to adjust their plan once they're eliminated from the playoffs.

If they've got a plan, stick with the plan. If they're half assing anything, that's the recipe for disaster, IMO. The stated end result of "the plan" was playoffs in three. If they set the wheels in motion with that goal, do not deviate easily and don't deviate this quickly for anything.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
I'm hoping the front office had a plan they developed while preparing for the expansion draft.

I'm hoping that they're following the plan 100%.

I'm hoping that when the chance to make a transaction comes up, they evaluate the potential move to see if it fits in with their prescribed plan.

I'm hoping they do that all season until it comes time to adjust their plan once they're eliminated from the playoffs.

If they've got a plan, stick with the plan. If they're half assing anything, that's the recipe for disaster, IMO. The stated end result of "the plan" was playoffs in three. If they set the wheels in motion with that goal, do not deviate easily and don't deviate this quickly for anything.
The plan is a full rebuild. Eyes to the future.

What is there so hard to understand? This is an expansion team.

This is the best (and IMO the only) strategy to build it. Drafting is everything in the cap era.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
If they can draft, I doubt that.

Tell me the last time a 5'8 Dman was drafted in the Top 15.

Considering he's been probably our most impressive prospect at development camp? I'm pretty sure we'll be ok. Brannstrom was our third pick in the first round for crying out loud. If you're so obsessed with him busting just imagine we picked Hauge at 15 and Brannstrom at 34.

Just nitpicking here but is it a rebuild if the team hasn't been built in the first place?

I've always wondered that...

Nope, it's just building. :laugh:

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
I guess I don't get it.

I figured there was a chance they'd go with the "win now" route prior to the expansion. Now that the expansion draft and the meat of free agency has passed, I'm willing to hang with the playoffs in three plan.

Just win while I'm in the building, please. :laugh:

I think they planned to give themselves a shot at a lottery pick next offseason all along. That's why they went heavy on young and futures compensation, and also why they didn't keep vets like Methot around. Call it tanking I suppose, but maybe more accurate is ensuring they'll be competitive but not make the playoffs.

Our current blueline will keep us in the bottom 5, no doubt about it in my mind. This team is 180 out from what I expected while perusing the lists (younger/inexperienced on defense while better on offense), and it says "we're going to score some points and entertain our fans but lose enough for a solid lottery shot."

It is all by design.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->