Confirmed Trade: [CHI/CBJ] Panarin, Motte, 6th for Saad, Forsberg, 2018 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebs

Let's swim to the moon
Feb 5, 2014
Jackets won that deal

I agree and not just because the Bread Man is on my keeper team :)

Him with Wennberg should be a productive combo and they'll probably throw Foligno on there to balance things out. Solid #1 line imo. Panarin will put up 65-70 points.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Well, yeah, I'll take the bet but I've disappeared for years at a time before! I don't want to see you stop posting because I was right. Let's do something else. Just leave it at who scores more points this coming season, Saad or Panarin. Whoever loses has to have an avatar of the traded away player in their new jersey with the caption "Better than Saad/Panarin" for the entire offseason and it gets put up before the draft. Deal?
Sure man we got a deal. Nothing wrong with a friendly wager haha

Redline

Feb 26, 2003
boardroom
Visit site
I agree and not just because the Bread Man is on my keeper team :)

Him with Wennberg should be a productive combo and they'll probably throw Foligno on there to balance things out. Solid #1 line imo. Panarin will put up 65-70 points.

Completely agree. Kind of hoping my fellow poolers disagree.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
See, I think it's going to work out that the Blackhawks got the better player and the better cap hit. We'll see. The only reason people say Panarin is better is his production. That goes down and all the dangles in the world don't mean anything. The Jackets NEED Panarin to hit 70 points, which would be a career low for him.
Even if he hits 60-65 it's still equal to or more then Saad put up. Then we have up a backup goalie who never performed well for us when called up for Motte who then allowed us to save cap and not sign Gagnar and allowed us to move Hartnell. Worst case scenario is he gets what Saad got us then it was a lateral move and we improved on getting Motte for Forsberg.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Even if he hits 60-65 it's still equal to or more then Saad put up. Then we have up a backup goalie who never performed well for us when called up for Motte who then allowed us to save cap and not sign Gagnar and allowed us to move Hartnell. Worst case scenario is he gets what Saad got us then it was a lateral move and we improved on getting Motte for Forsberg.

Outside of offense, Saad brings so much more than Panarin. Panarin has to outscore him by a healthy amount (15-20 points) to be clearly better. If they end up within 5 points of each other, the Jackets got robbed.

Deebs

Let's swim to the moon
Feb 5, 2014
Outside of offense, Saad brings so much more than Panarin. Panarin has to outscore him by a healthy amount (15-20 points) to be clearly better. If they end up within 5 points of each other, the Jackets got robbed.

Saad will get his usual 50 points, so that should put him 15-20 back of Bread Man

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
See that so much more is why we wanted Saad in the first place. That 2 way style he played and his ability to get a takeaway and use his speed to score on the breakaway. Problem was he had been benched here and nearly scratched because he wouldn't not back check and multiple times his lack of effort lead to a goal one huge one almost lead to a healthy scratch but there was a last minute injury or illness that got him in. He also literally misses every break away he has ever had here I swear to god if I see a break away if I see it's sad I just get sad haha. He always missed half the time not even hitting net. And I love Saad I'm a person who was a fan while he was in Chicago and thought the trade thread the day it happened was a delusional CBJ fan asking for a guy we could never get that's how highly I thought of him. It's very possible Saads play gets even better and Toews gets back to doing Toews things. But Saad was about at his peak of what he would have been here and that's ok.

But Panarin also has played amazing without Kane internationally and in the KHL and all that. So putting him with a playmaker like Wennberg who has strengths in that area and vision I see no reason to expect any dramatic downward progression. Not to mention the guys he will have with him on the back end feeding him.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
how? chances are panarin won't be as prodcutive in cbj as he was with kane

While I think it was a fair trade, I feel like Panarin will still put up 70ish points with the CBJ. We were told the exact same thing about Saad. He would not be able to produce what he did in Chicago. Saad's last season in Chicago he had 52 points. Both seasons in Columbus he had 53 points. He was not a disappointment, but he was also not the two-way force that he was described as at the time of the trade.

Panarin's skill set is a perfect fit for what we need right now. I think Motte is often forgotten. I think Forsberg was stuck behind Bob and Korpi, and will get a great opportunity in Chicago. Saad can go back to Chicago and provide stability that the team had a couple years ago, while Panarin's departure opens up offensive opportunities for Hartman, Schmaltz, etc.

It seems like a win-win right now. I don't think anyone's production will change drastically other than Motte, who is a young kid on the verge of a permanent nhl spot.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
how? chances are panarin won't be as prodcutive in cbj as he was with kane

There are pros to Columbus as well. Hes coming to a better PP and with the coming crackdown on slashes it should be a nice boost. Having Werenski-Jones lined up behind him wont hurt either

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I don't think it would be unfair to say Saad didn't give it his all in Columbus. It's telling that CBJ fans say he was disinterested and almost scratched, yet his production was the same. There is definitely another level for Saad. We'll see if he shows it.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I don't think it would be unfair to say Saad didn't give it his all in Columbus. It's telling that CBJ fans say he was disinterested and almost scratched, yet his production was the same. There is definitely another level for Saad. We'll see if he shows it.

Basically unable to admit that Chicago may have not received the best player in the deal.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Basically unable to admit that Chicago may have not received the best player in the deal.

Panarin had really worn thin on me by the time that trade was made so I honestly don't even care if both players produce the same amount of points as last year. I'm just glad he's not a part of our team anymore. It's just a nice coincidence we got the guy who was key to 2 Cups in return and I've always thought of Saad as a potential 60-70 point player and that hasn't changed, he's still 24.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
So if Kane's production drops is it because Panarin is gone? I've seen how Panarin "won't put up points like in Chicago because of Kane...". It will be an interesting year and this is an area I'll watch closely.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
So if Kane's production drops is it because Panarin is gone? I've seen how Panarin "won't put up points like in Chicago because of Kane...". It will be an interesting year and this is an area I'll watch closely.

Yeah, totally. There is no reason for Kane to be putting up less than 88-89 points, ever. The only times he's put up less than that were when he was playing with non-NHL caliber players like Handzus and Brunette.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver

It's no coincidence that Kane put up his 2 best years ever playing with Panarin. He has Panarin to thank for helping him win a Ross, Pearson & Hart as well.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
It's no coincidence that Kane put up his 2 best years ever playing with Panarin. He has Panarin to thank for helping him win a Ross, Pearson & Hart as well.

Last year was just your typical run of the mill season for Kane. Panarin didn't help him anymore than anyone else would have.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
G-ddamn am I ever having flashbacks to "Saad will never produce on the Jackets like he did for the Blackhawks" two years ago... :)

We'd outscored the Blackhawks the prior year then, too. Heck, this year they don't even have the playoff performance excuse. :D

Deebs

Let's swim to the moon
Feb 5, 2014
Last year was just your typical run of the mill season for Kane. Panarin didn't help him anymore than anyone else would have.

Patty's last two season were his highest point totals in his career. His average prior to that was around 65-70. It's impossible to deny that Bread Man had a huge impact on Kaner and vice versa. Those two were like peanut butter and jelly man...awesome combo.

Saad is a good player, but he's no Bread Man offensively. Heck, Saad probably won't even be playing with Kane for the majority of the year anyways.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Patty's last two season were his highest point totals in his career. His average prior to that was around 65-70. It's impossible to deny that Bread Man had a huge impact on Kaner and vice versa. Those two were like peanut butter and jelly man...awesome combo.

Saad is a good player, but he's no Bread Man offensively. Heck, Saad probably won't even be playing with Kane for the majority of the year anyways.

Not sure I agree there. Panarin is a better spot shooter and has a deadlier release

Saad is better at using his speed to separate and his body to protect the puck and create chances

Lets be honest, Panarin found a lot of open space to get that shot off while Kane was getting smothered on the other half of the ice.

Panarin will get an upgrade at center over Anisimov, but its not going to be the same caliber of playmaking he was getting from Kane.

Hawks won 3 cups with being a mediocre PP team most years. Hawks badly needed to get better at 5 on 5 play and they most certainly did that with this trade. Sure, they will likely miss Panarin on the PP, but that cant keep a team afloat to a cup

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

I mean, technically yes, but his 89 points last season beat his previous non-Panarin high by all of 1 point, and he was on pace for the same 85-90 points he almost always gets before being hurt in 2015.

And Panarin is probably going to score roughly as much on CBJ as he did in CHI. BUT, If I'm the Blue Jackets, I'm hoping to kill some of the bad habits he started showing in the 2nd year though. In his first year he was every bit the mirror of Kane. The zone entries with possession through 3 dudes, the nifty passing work, the shot.... in the 2nd season, he could generally be found floating around the left-side face-off dot waiting for Kane to feed him the puck.

He had one ridiculous season with Panarin, mostly due to a hilariously unsustainable on-ice sh%. His next season actually WAS right in his normal wheel-house as far as production.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Panarin had really worn thin on me by the time that trade was made so I honestly don't even care if both players produce the same amount of points as last year. I'm just glad he's not a part of our team anymore. It's just a nice coincidence we got the guy who was key to 2 Cups in return and I've always thought of Saad as a potential 60-70 point player and that hasn't changed, he's still 24.

So you are happy, that your team has Toews, who scored 20 points less than Panarin for 3 times more money? Ok, no problems.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Lol, Kane had his 2 best seasons with Panarin. Don't forget that Kane started last season with Toews and looked terrible. If he had played with Panarin full season, he'd have scored way more, than 89 points. And don't forget, that Panarin looked as good with Hossa, as with Kane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->