Speculation: Chevy Job Security

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
But that really isn't the question is it.

Is Chevy's job secure now? Yes. Certainly

Will it be secure a year from now? Yes. With almost as much certainty.

Will it still be secure Dec. 31, '17? That depends. I think the free pass will have expired by then. Judgement by results, not process will have begun.

Agreed

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Just come out and tell the fans wtf is going on. Are you happy with the performance? Say something, without Laine even I am beginning to lose interest in this **** show.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
The first year of Jets 2.0 - the team that we got from Atlanta. Tied for 20th in the league.

Year 6 (this year) of Jets 2.0. 28th in the league ppg. you have to use ppg mid year to take into account games in hand.

So Chevy took a 20th place team and in 6 years turned it into the 28th place team. Good GMing there, Chevy. LOL

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Sing all the Ke$ha songs you want. He's got another coach firing before you can start holding your breath.

:laugh: Oddly enough Ke$ha songs describe certain things about the Jets really well. "
D-I-N-O-S-A- UR a dinosaur" seems pretty appropriate about Jets' attitude towards the kind of defenseman they draft or acquire from free agency

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
Just come out and tell the fans wtf is going on. Are you happy with the performance? Say something, without Laine even I am beginning to lose interest in this **** show.

Look it does not matter. Chevy will throw a bunch of sentences together that never answer the questions the local media will be willing to pitch him underhanded, nevermind the questions they're afraid to ask that would never be answered anyways.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Look it does not matter. Chevy will throw a bunch of sentences together that never answer the questions the local media will be willing to pitch him underhanded, nevermind the questions they're afraid to ask that would never be answered anyways.

There is no question that the TNSE message machine owns the local lapdog media.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
It is utterly ridiculous to think there is even a remote chance that Chevy's job is in jeopardy. The guy is a good GM. Plain and simple.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
It is utterly ridiculous to think there is even a remote chance that Chevy's job is in jeopardy. The guy is a good GM. Plain and simple.

Good GM with what will probably be another bottom 10 finish!?! What's your definition of a bad GM then?

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I'm sure everyone would be overjoyed with a $6 million dollar 12 point captain. But hey wed be at the cap and wouldn't have a frugal owner.

Most of us said don't sign him. He was a "healthy but unhealthy" scratch today and Isles won 4-0.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Most of us said don't sign him. He was a "healthy but unhealthy" scratch today and Isles won 4-0.

My point was that our owner was apparently willing to shell out big money, but it's not always the smart move. Had we had a cap team that was stinking there would even more angst.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The first year of Jets 2.0 - the team that we got from Atlanta. Tied for 20th in the league.

Year 6 (this year) of Jets 2.0. 28th in the league ppg. you have to use ppg mid year to take into account games in hand.

So Chevy took a 20th place team and in 6 years turned it into the 28th place team. Good GMing there, Chevy. LOL

This seems to be the theme, but would you really prefer to be cheering again for a team made up with the likes of mittens, Wellwoods. Andropov, Stapleton and the GST line. Or a bad team with future pieces like Scheif, Ehlers, Laine, Trouba, Morrissey? There is a lot of problems right now but to ignore the amount of young talent is missing the boat IMO.

If anything Chevy deserves criticism for not cutting away the rest of the older core and double down on the future. With a goalie of course.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
This seems to be the theme, but would you really prefer to be cheering again for a team made up with the likes of mittens, Wellwoods. Andropov, Stapleton and the GST line. Or a bad team with future pieces like Scheif, Ehlers, Laine, Trouba, Morrissey? There is a lot of problems right now but to ignore the amount of young talent is missing the boat IMO.

If anything Chevy deserves criticism for not cutting away the rest of the older core and double down on the future. With a goalie of course.

You are concerned about name dropping ????
Who cares what the players names were we are worse off now.

Chevy's failure to have this team show improved results is a big fail.

It's been posted time and time again , the final standings from year to year are his legacy and it's not a good one.

Teams need chemistry, this team has none.
As far as young talent, yes it's understood it's there.
The problem is we had talent with the core pieces and Chevy was unable to compliment them and we have blown their primes.
We have potential in the young guys but Chevy seems unable to make adjustments, so I have zero confidence he is the GM to take this club anywhere.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

There's little question in my mind that the Jets have better players and depth than in year 1. They aren't a better team, though. Hockey's funny that way. Who thought that a team that dumped Pavs would have poorer goaltending, or a team that put Stuart in the press box would have worse defense, or a team that replaced Thorbs and Burmi and Ladd with Armia and Matthias and Laine would be worse at forward?

This year is vexing and confusing. Coaches didn't get more stupid in one season.

I think it's a perfect storm of bad goaltending, poor transition to a very different roster due to an inadequate training camp, and subpar performances by some key vets.

I'd mention injuries and schedule, and I do think they played a role. Right now, it's hard to peg what it will take for this team to gel. I don't have high hopes for this season unless they get stellar goaltending, but I still think this roster is much better than they've shown, and the coaches aren't as incompetent as they might seem.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

It's been posted time and time again , the final standings from year to year are his legacy and it's not a good one.

The problem is we had talent with the core pieces and Chevy was unable to compliment them and we have blown their primes.
We have potential in the young guys but Chevy seems unable to make adjustments, so I have zero confidence he is the GM to take this club anywhere.

The moves Chevy should make will make us worse not better. And who cares if a handful of middling vets blow out their primes. Every once in awhile I buy into maybe the older core can mesh with the kids, but it has become clear the older core will never be a foundation of any type of contender. Chevy's mistake was not making more moves to bottom out.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Is it fair to say that Chevy's decision not to aggressively rebuild around about 2013 - the point where Enstrom, Little, and Wheeler's RFA contracts expired, Ladd and Buff a few years into their deals - has backfired?

All five of the aforementioned players are worth less now as trade assets than they were back then. Kane and Bogo (especially) would have fetched more as individual trade pieces than what they garnered together in the 2015 when they were dealt out of necessity. And no, I'm not for a second suggesting that Chevy should have dealt all 7 at that point.

The reason I bring this is up now is because, going back to my predictions, this season should have been the juncture where marrying the old "Atlanta" core with our "young" core started paying dividends. Maybe not as a true contender, but at least as a consistent playoff team. And that wasn't even accounting for the great fortune that landed us Laine.

Well, what do we have to show for it? One playoff berth, and a first round trouncing at that. I don't see any one of Wheeler, Little, Enstrom or Buff playing a major role down the road on a contending Jets team. You can say hindsight is 20/20, but there were many out there quite adamant (I wasn't one of them, FYI) that Chevy should have started churning our core quite awhile ago, and break the franchise out of the cycle of mediocrity. It's beginning to look like they were right. :(

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I don't think it's as simple as that. Did Kekalainen go from idiot to genius in the offseason? Did Nill go from genius to incompetent?

I think there's a pretty fine line between success and failure in the NHL. Other than goaltending, which should have improved this season based on prior performance, I find it hard to put a finger on why this team has been so inconsistent and disjointed, especially in the past couple of weeks.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't think it's as simple as that. Did Kekalainen go from idiot to genius in the offseason? Did Nill go from genius to incompetent?

I think there's a pretty fine line between success and failure in the NHL. Other than goaltending, which should have improved this season based on prior performance, I find it hard to put a finger on why this team has been so inconsistent and disjointed, especially in the past couple of weeks.

I think Maurice has to wear the 1st goat horns and bring in a new voice. Maurice was unable to right the ship and should be first to go. Then it is time for Chevy to try and load up the 20-23 age range by moving some of the older core.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
The moves Chevy should make will make us worse not better. And who cares if a handful of middling vets blow out their primes. Every once in awhile I buy into maybe the older core can mesh with the kids, but it has become clear the older core will never be a foundation of any type of contender. Chevy's mistake was not making more moves to bottom out.

I really do believe he is not our guy to take this team to success period.
Chevy's reluctance to make any significant moves is troubling unless Chipman is handcuffing him in some way.
I think we have hit a tipping point.
We have talent but it's isn't working as a cohesive unit so it needs to be changed.
Hoping it will change is a fools errand

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad