Chelios vs Stevens

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
Got into an early morning discussion (too early) about Chelios vs Stevens all-time and in a nutshell I told him I thought it was very close. He seems to think Stevens was the far better player by a wide margin. If there's any place on the Internet that can provide some thoughts on something like this, it's HOH.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
You really can't go wrong with either in all 3 zones but I'll take Chelios. IMO Stevens was really good as a Cap and Blue but didn't become great until he met Larry Robinson. He refined his game as a Devil and became one of the better defenseman in the NHL.

Chelios was always one mean SOB that made very few mistakes and is better offensively than given credit for. He might not get assists on some plays but he turns pucks up ice catching the other team off guard. I hate the guy but he's just flat out awesome.

DevilSinceDayOne

Nov 3, 2006
Not even close. Has Chelios ever even been considered one of the top five (or even ten) defenseman in any single season he has ever played.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Stevens started a season earlier and Chelios has stuck around a few extra seasons, but they were contemporaries, between '83-'84 and '02/'03.

Imagine if they were a sibling rivalry

First All-Star Team 1987-88 ("I beat you to it first.")
Luc Robitaille - Mario Lemieux - Hakan Loob
Ray Bourque - Scott Stevens
Grant Fuhr

First All-Star Team 1988-89 ("Yeah but you started earlier!")
Luc Robitaille - Mario Lemieux - Joe Mullen
Chris Chelios - Paul Coffey
Patrick Roy

Second All-Star Team 1990-91 ("Look who's ahead now. Nah, nah, nah.")
Kevin Stevens - Adam Oates - Cam Neely
Chris Chelios - Brian Leetch
Patrick Roy

Second All-Star Team 1991-92 ("Who brags about coming in second? That's nothing.")
Luc Robitaille - Mario Lemieux - Mark Recchi
Phil Housley - Scott Stevens
Kirk McLean

First All-Star Team 1992-93 ("Well looks who's first again.")
Luc Robitaille - Mario Lemieux - Teemu Selänne
Chris Chelios - Ray Bourque
Ed Belfour

First All-Star Team 1993-94 ("You really can't keep it up can you?")
Brendan Shanahan - Sergei Fedorov - Pavel Bure
Ray Bourque - Scott Stevens
Dominik Hasek

First All-Star Team 1994-95 ("Oh yeah. I'll show you!")
John LeClair - Eric Lindros - Jaromir Jagr
Paul Coffey - Chris Chelios
Dominik Hasek

First All-Star Team 1995-96 ("Ah-hem.")
Paul Kariya - Mario Lemieux - Jaromir Jagr
Chris Chelios - Ray Bourque
Jim Carey

Second All-Star Team 1996-97 ("Three in a row. Try to top that.") ("I will... somehow")
John LeClair - Wayne Gretzky - Jaromir Jagr
Chris Chelios - Scott Stevens
Martin Brodeur

Silence for 97/98, ... for 98/99, ... then at the end of 99/00 Scott replies:
("Got a Conn Smythe there Cheli? Didn't think so.")

Second All-Star Team 2000-01 ("Time for one of us to admit who's better.")
Luc Robitaille - Mario Lemieux - Pavel Bure
Rob Blake - Scott Stevens
Roman Cechmanek

First All-Star Team 2001-02 ("Second looks good on you Scottie. Time for you to retire next season. Bu-bye.")
Markus Naslund - Joe Sakic - Jarome Iginla
Nicklas Lidstrom - Chris Chelios
Patrick Roy

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Good post Van.
Thanks, it was fun. :)

It's amazing that for eight straight years one or the other of the two of them (never both) was on 1st or 2nd all-star team, then for one year only they were both on the 2nd all-star team, then nothing for three years (except SS's Conn Smythe), then once more each.

They look damn near even based on the accolades.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Not even close. Has Chelios ever even been considered one of the top five (or even ten) defenseman in any single season he has ever played.

lol, post of the year candidate right here...

Really, anyone who questions whether Chelios was ever a top-10 defenceman clearly didn't watch hockey prior to...say...2003. Only Bourque, Orr, and Harvey have more Norris trophies.

DevilSinceDayOne

Nov 3, 2006
Go back to 1970 and aside from Randy Carlyle and Doug Wilson Chris Chelios is the worst defenseman to win the Norris in the last 35 years. He has won multiple Norris trophies based on reputation as much as anything else. Not to say that he has not been a very good defenseman for a lot of years. Great though, I don's think so.

espo*

I loved Stevens but have to go with Chelios in this one,i really don't see how anyone can't.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Go back to 1970 and aside from Randy Carlyle and Doug Wilson Chris Chelios is the worst defenseman to win the Norris in the last 35 years. He has won multiple Norris trophies based on reputation as much as anything else. Not to say that he has not been a very good defenseman for a lot of years. Great though, I don's think so.

Chelios for several years in Chicago was as good as any defenceman ever has been since Bobby Orr. He literally dominated almost ever game he played. He was as good as Bourque, Potvin, Robinson were at their peaks when Chelios was at his peak.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005

In addition to Carlyle and Wilson, Chelios was unquestionably better than Langway, Leetch, Blake, MacInnis, Pronger and Niedermayer. You could also make a reasonable argument that he was better than Lidstrom and Coffey.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Chelios for several years in Chicago was as good as any defenceman ever has been since Bobby Orr. He literally dominated almost ever game he played. He was as good as Bourque, Potvin, Robinson were at their peaks when Chelios was at his peak.

No he wasn't. No he didn't. And no he wasn't.

Bourque, Potvin and Robinson were always a step above Chelios. Chelios was very good at every aspect of the game...but he did not dominate games in any aspect. Bourque, Potvin, and Robinson were all dominant.

J0e Th0rnton*

In addition to Carlyle and Wilson, Chelios was unquestionably better than Langway, Leetch, Blake, MacInnis, Pronger and Niedermayer. You could also make a reasonable argument that he was better than Lidstrom and Coffey.
Uh, I'd take Lidstrom over Chelios pretty much every year but 3 years of his career.

No he wasn't. No he didn't. And no he wasn't.

Bourque, Potvin and Robinson were always a step above Chelios. Chelios was very good at every aspect of the game...but he did not dominate games in any aspect. Bourque, Potvin, and Robinson were all dominant.

Agreed. Chelios isn;t up there with those top guys. he is top 10 IMO, but at the 10th spot.

As for Chelios vs Stevens, Chelios is better in all 3 zones by far. And I put Chelios as #10 in my top 10 all time Dmen.

But nobody, NOBODY put the fear of crossing a blueline into players like Stevens did EVER. Players spent less time wondering how to make a play or score and more time making sure they got rid of the puck at least 3 seconds before Stevens could catch them, or they knew they would pay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad