Chelios runs mouth about Bettman

Status
Not open for further replies.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Newsguyone said:
Please.

So you expect someone to apologize because some oversensitive, politically correct person on a hockey board puts two and two together and gets seven?

That's ridiculous.

i do - and i don't think that's being "oversensitive". perhaps if you understood the situation better, you'd realize how wrong this statement is. instead, it appears you'd much rather support chelios to the bitter end. i guarantee you that he winds up apologizing for what he said, and that ESPN will be all over that statement.

A Good Flying Bird*

Montrealer said:
He's also a dolt. There's a reason he was traded from the Habs - his off-ice antics were too damn embarrassing.

Sucked - the guy was a Norris winner and should have played here for twenty years, but he was too arrogant to care about the image of the most storied franchise in the NHL.

By the way, if Guy Lafleur drives up and flips you the bird, and then insults your parantage, do you say...

"Please sir, I want some more!"

I guess so... after all, he's a Hall of Famer and he owns Stanley Cup Rings, right?

:sarcasm:

Insults your parentage?

Look, I'm not saying Chelios is a great ambassador for the game. (Then again, Guy Lafleur getting drunk and falling asleep at the wheel of his car isn't exactly what you expect from a role model, is he?)

I'm saying that this whole bloody thread is another anti-player rant that belongs in the god damned rant thread.

I'm sick and tired of the anti-player remarks at every freakin' turn.

And I don't know why every thing that might be insulting to a fan of a small market team gets jettisoned to the rant thread.

But man, rant about a player who plays for the Wings, and boom, everything is fair game.

A Good Flying Bird*

neelynugs said:
i do - and i don't think that's being "oversensitive". perhaps if you understood the situation better, you'd realize how wrong this statement is. instead, it appears you'd much rather support chelios to the bitter end. i guarantee you that he winds up apologizing for what he said, and that ESPN will be all over that statement.

Well thank god the knee jerk media will be there to save the day.

The thought police are on the freakin' job!

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
If you don't like it, don't read it.

The vast majority here don't seem to have a problem calling Chelios on some more stupid comments from his vacuous mellon, though.

This suggests the problem is more likely to be *you*. Not the board.

A Good Flying Bird*

Chuck Shick said:
Chris..Two words for you as it relates to your days in the NHL....IT'S OVER

Yes. All that awaits now is the induction to the Hall of Fame.
Methinks Bettman won't be around to see that.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Newsguyone said:
Well thank god the knee jerk media will be there to save the day.

The thought police are on the freakin' job!

to expand on this, if someone made that comment to me, i'd knock them on their arse, plain and simple. it's possible that you don't fully understand what happened to the jewish people during the holocaust...perhaps you could visit the library and do some light reading :dunno:

A Good Flying Bird*

Crazy_Ike said:
If you don't like it, don't read it.

The vast majority here don't seem to have a problem calling Chelios on some more stupid comments from his vacuous mellon, though.

This suggests the problem is more likely to be *you*. Not the board.

I've never believed that something is right or wrong based on whether or not the "vast majority" believes it so.

The "vast majority" is often lost in a "vast wasteland" of ignorance.

SENSible1*

Boltsfan2029 said:
Gotta agree. Try as I might, I can't think of a single thing Bettman said that was critical of the players or derogatory generally or specifically to any individual player. But I heard lots of "Gary's a madman," yada, yada.

The NHL was VERY careful to attack PA's tactics and NOT the players themselves. The made sure the distinction was crystal clear. In fact, Bettman and the NHL's other spokesmen frequently pointed out that they had the best, most approachable athletes in the world of pro sports.

Those suggesting that the NHL engaged in a PR campaign to get the fans to hate the players did not pay very close attention to that campaign.

Chelios was an outstanding player, but has always been an idiot off the ice. This latest rant on his part is just par for the course.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
Wow... you are all really oversensative. I lived in Sharon, MA for four years (backgroum\nd: Sharon is 76 percent Jewish - my high school had Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashana off each year and kosher food served during Passover) and the kids up there used that phrase all the time.

Perhaps the energy would be better spent figuring out how to pitch the game now that everyone has sold the "the players are idiots and I will never, ever put another penny in their pockets again" viewpoint to at least three of their favorite neighbors and family members. I will maintain until my last breath that people don't go to see "Tom Hicks'" team or "Bill Wirtz's" team, they go to see the Stars or Blackhawks, and the identity of those teams is much more associated with the players than the owners.

A Good Flying Bird*

neelynugs said:
to expand on this, if someone made that comment to me, i'd knock them on their arse, plain and simple. it's possible that you don't fully understand what happened to the jewish people during the holocaust...perhaps you could visit the library and do some light reading :dunno:

Good for you.
Because you're going to jail.

Or, even better, you're getting your arse kicked. Because you can't go around assaulting people because you think that maybe, somehow, he might have been making a reference to an atrocity from 50 years ago.

I've read enough about fascism to fight it at every turn.

You might want to examine your own behaviour. Because when you start trying to punish or shame people FOR SOMETHING YOU THINK THEY MIGHT HAVE BEEN THINKING, then you've completed step one in your Nazi training guide, mkay?

Ponder that for awhile.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Hey guys, let's all overreact about things that people should've saw coming as soon as talks began! Anyone who didn't think Chelios would spout off against Bettman and make some claims about what should happen to him is kidding themselves. Not saying it's right, but they're all empty claims.

And how the Holocaust got brought into this is insane, it's not exactly the same, but people pulling this **** and when AA play the race card constantly sortof makes people not feel as compassionate for the past.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Newsguyone said:
Good for you.
Because you're going to jail.

Or, even better, you're getting your arse kicked. Because you can't go around assaulting people because you think that maybe, somehow, he might have been making a reference to an atrocity from 50 years ago.

I've read enough about fascism to fight it at every turn.

You might want to examine your own behaviour. Because when you start trying to punish or shame people FOR SOMETHING YOU THINK THEY MIGHT HAVE BEEN THINKING, then you've completed step one in your Nazi training guide, mkay?

Ponder that for awhile.

so how sure are you that chelios didn't mean that in his comments? sounds like you've tapped into his brain and discovered...nothing. chelios = a player, and a red wing, so i suppose that means you will be behind him regardless of what he spews from his mouth.

you do realize that the holocaust was an atrocity though, so hey, you are onto something :handclap: someone get this guy a gold ribbon

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
You honestly think Chris Chelios is going to murder Gary Bettman? Like actually take his life, and kill him? Good lord.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Thunderstruck said:
Those suggesting that the NHL engaged in a PR campaign to get the fans to hate the players did not pay very close attention to that campaign.

You are correct, the NHL has handled these negotiations in a respectful, business-like manner. Regardless, there are many hateful "fans" who need no prodding. They hate the players, they hate Goodenow...and now some of the same geniuses want to see Bettman, the guy who got the job done in spades, canned! Classic!

Chelios was an outstanding player, but has always been an idiot off the ice.

Alas someone who can differentiate the player from the comment. :clap:

One would think that would not be so hard to do, but apparently (reading this thread) it is for some. You know, "I don't like Chelios' opinion, so I won't refute his claim, but rather assassinate his character and career." Brilliant!

:)

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Heaton said:
You honestly think Chris Chelios is going to murder Gary Bettman? Like actually take his life, and kill him? Good lord.

i don't recall ever saying that - all i'm saying is that chelios has no business making those type of comments. it's one thing to say bettman should be fired, and a totally other thing to say he "should be gassed". completely unnecessary.

A Good Flying Bird*

neelynugs said:
so how sure are you that chelios didn't mean that in his comments? sounds like you've tapped into his brain and discovered...nothing. chelios = a player, and a red wing, so i suppose that means you will be behind him regardless of what he spews from his mouth.

you do realize that the holocaust was an atrocity though, so hey, you are onto something :handclap: someone get this guy a gold ribbon

Most people don't step in front of a microphone and announce that they are neo-Nazis while they're looking for work in the entertainment industry financed mostly by advertisers who'll do just about anything to avoid a boycott.

Let's not start talking about what you know, and I don't. And vice versa.

A Good Flying Bird*

neelynugs said:
i don't recall ever saying that - all i'm saying is that chelios has no business making those type of comments. it's one thing to say bettman should be fired, and a totally other thing to say he "should be gassed". completely unnecessary.

Right, so if Chelios said he should get axed, without knowing that Bettman's second cousin was killed by a maniacal lumberjack, he'd still owe Bettman an apology.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
My only point was that it was a tasteless and/or stupid thing to say from a guy with a long, vivid history of saying stupid, tasteless things.

I don't care if he's Wayne Gretzky, Gordie Howe, President of the United States, Gandhi, whoever - if he says something stupid or tasteless, I am free to comment on it, and his play on the ice has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Chris Chelios - Superstar Hockey Player. Superdumbass Human Being.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
Newsguyone said:
Right, so if Chelios said he should get axed, without knowing that Bettman's second cousin was killed by a maniacal lumberjack, he'd still owe Bettman an apology.

Try this:

Go around saying that Bettman should be "bombed like he was a subway car."

Then use your quote above to forgive yourself.

See how far you get.

:shakehead

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Show of hands for people who honestly believe that "gassed" meant anything other than Bettman being fired.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Newsguyone said:

ummmm...chelios knows bettman is jewish, and i'd imagine he knows about the holocaust (he has been hit in the head a lot, so ya never know). your analogy makes zero sense.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
norrisnick said:
Show of hands for people who honestly believe that "gassed" meant anything other than Bettman being fired.

Of course that's what he meant (fired) - it doesn't mean it wasn't a silly, stupid comment.

Why is this difficult? If I say ass-***** around my buddies, that's one thing. If I say it during an interview that is on the record, and I am a public figure, I will be judged.

This is difficult?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Montrealer said:
Of course that's what he meant (fired) - it doesn't mean it wasn't a silly, stupid comment.

Why is this difficult? If I say ass-***** around my buddies, that's one thing. If I say it during an interview that is on the record, and I am a public figure, I will be judged.

This is difficult?

Judge away. Though you guys are looking worse than Chelios (and he's not getting out of this thing smelling of roses and not because of the gassed comment).

Lanny MacDonald*

Newsguyone said:
I guess since I support chelios, you are calling me a blind idiot, right?

(Note to Sotnos ... this is what I mean about indirect insults ... Do you get it now?)

Look, if Chelios is still playing this season, it will be because a team thinks he can still help.

Quite honestly, given his past payroll expectations, I doubt he'll get any offers.

However, despite his age, the last time he played, Chris Chelios was still one of the premier defensive defensemen in the game.
And his penalty killing is second to none.

Hmmm, I think your reading comprehension needs some work. He said that you were displaying blind loyalty toward an idiot, not that you were a blind idiot. But if you want to tie those two together feel free, I'm sure no one is going to stop you.

If Chelios was one of the premiere defensemen in the league then the NHL was hurting for defenders. Man, Chelios was brutal in the playoffs and was totally exposed as the aging pylon he is by Calgary. That, combined with his salary, make him pretty well unemployable... except for the Motor City Mechanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad