Checkers III: The Age of Ulf

Status
Not open for further replies.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Yeah our 2 first round pick year is looking pretty disappointing in general...

I still got hope that Bean will be something. But he's such a crap shoot too.

Gauthier I'm having a hard time picturing him being anything better than a 3rd liner, but time will tell. With some Checkers graduating to the pros this year hopefully he'll earn more ice time next season & maybe show some more.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I still got hope that Bean will be something. But he's such a crap shoot too.

Gauthier I'm having a hard time picturing him being anything better than a 3rd liner, but time will tell. With some Checkers graduating to the pros this year hopefully he'll earn more ice time next season & maybe show some more.

Look at the next 3 dmen taken after Bean. Hindsight 20/20 blah blah blah yeah, but still disappointing when you look back less than 2 years ago and see you made the “wrong” pick.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I watched the 2016 draft at the PNC Arena. I told everyone around me "I don't care who we pick, as long as that player is not Jake Bean." As soon as Francis announced "From the Calgary Hitmen", I was peeved. Ultimately I wanted Kunin, but would have been happy too with Bellows, MacAvoy, or even Gauthier. Looks like we made up for it in 2017 though.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I didn't know anything about Bean or McAvoy at that time so I couldn't complain. I understood the thought process though and agreed with that, that there was a run on forwards and that the Canes wanted a defenseman and forward in the 1st round, so taking a D first and and F with the later pick made sense. Given the success they've had with NCAA defensemen, it was curious they didn't take McAvoy.

I wonder sometimes what goes on behind the scenes. McAvoy knew that Boston was picking next and the "tin hat" side of me makes me wonder if he indicated to the Canes that he was going to go back to college for all 4 years, thus scaring them away from that pick. I mean, we already had 3 young LHD in Slavin, Hanifin, and Fleury and our only 2 RHD were Faulk and Pesce. McAvoy, being a RHD and a college defenseman seemed to check off all of the boxes.

IIRC, someone at the time said Bean had a skill that we didn't have in the org., his offensive ability and ability as a PPQB, so maybe that was it.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I watched the 2016 draft at the PNC Arena. I told everyone around me "I don't care who we pick, as long as that player is not Jake Bean." As soon as Francis announced "From the Calgary Hitmen", I was peeved. Ultimately I wanted Kunin, but would have been happy too with Bellows, MacAvoy, or even Gauthier. Looks like we made up for it in 2017 though.

I wanted Bellows, and still do

Bridgeburner96

Jan 20, 2015
Line combos for tonight?
They will tweet out the lineup a few minutes before the game. Last game's line up was:
Zykov-Wallmark-Miller
Foegele-McKegg-Poturalski
Saarela-Bishop-Brown
Kuokkanen-Roy-Gauthier

Carrick-Fleury
Samuelsson-McKeown
Robertson-Kichton

Nedeljkovic
Smith

The only expected changes might be if Didier or Chelios (don't think he's ready yet) comes back from injury.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I'm at the game now. Checkers been looking really sloppy.
The most pitiful game of hockey I've seen this year. Zero effort (until the last 5 min), we were our own worst enemy. We made more successful passes to the Phantoms than our own teammates (one for as beautiful breakaway against). That was not the same team I've watched all season, they looked defeated from first pick drop. No effort. Absolutely pathetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad