Checkers III: The Age of Ulf

Status
Not open for further replies.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Checkers Andrew Miller is leading the entire AHL in points by 4. He's been dominant in the AHL basically his entire career. His first 9 game NHL stint with the Oilers he had 6 pts. It's amazing he's only gotten 15 NHL games under his belt at the age of 29. I doubt he'll ever get a shot again since he's 29, but seems like a guy that should of had a longer look at the NHL. That must be frustrating as a player.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Checkers Andrew Miller is leading the entire AHL in points by 4. He's been dominant in the AHL basically his entire career. His first 9 game NHL stint with the Oilers he had 6 pts. It's amazing he's only gotten 15 NHL games under his belt at the age of 29. I doubt he'll ever get a shot again since he's 29, but seems like a guy that should of had a longer look at the NHL. That must be frustrating as a player.

Doubtful, but not impossible.
derek-ryan-2018-979.jpg

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Maybe Kev was being sarcastic?

Nah, just blanked on Kane. I was just noticing that the Checkers two top scorers are listed as RWs (Miller and Zykov, even though Zykov has been playing mostly LW) on the AHL site and it looked weird. Then I started thinking about Crosby, Malkin and McDavid and how centers dominate scoring tables. Basically, I was drunk. Let's move along.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I know Joe (or someone) posted this before, but it's still quite remarkable. This is an older tweet as he has 23 now (with no PP goals).

EDIT: Here's an update for comparison:

GPGoalsPP Goals
Valentin Zykov472514
Warren Foegele50230
Andreas Johnsson44226
Reid Boucher38227
Curtis McKenzie402110
Buddy Robinson49216
Bobby Butler46218
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Wow. You gotta wonder what Foegele's upside is. Him scoring at even stength is a really promising sign. He never really tore up the juniors tho. I wonder if him being a defensive top 6 forward is out of the question? He's also +21 on the year. My guess is he probably ends up as a top 9 guy that you can trust to move up the roster if needed.

Also like to note that Roland McKeown is having quite a good season as well that's gone under the radar by us. 19 pts in 47 games, and is 3rd in the AHL with a plus/minus of +32. (Trevor Carrick is a -7 to put into perspective)

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
The way the NHL is going these days, a guy like Foegele is perfect for the 4th line. Good speed, decent size, good defensively and seems to have a bit of a scoring touch. I haven't seen enough of him to know if he's got enough offense to be a legit top 6, though, but I don't expect it. If he becomes a very good 4th liner/pker who can move up the lineup in a pinch, that would be a big win.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Judging by his numbers, I think he has more than a bit of a scoring touch, especially when he is getting 3rd/4th line minutes. He could be a good 4th line replacement next year for someone.

Are we sure he's getting 3rd/4th line minutes? He's not getting pp time, but that doesn't mean he's getting 3rd/4th line minutes.

re: his scoring touch, it's kind of hard to say. There are a lot of guys that were much more prolific scorers in JR. hockey that put up big numbers in the AHL as well (Chris Terry, Zach Boychuk, to name a couple, that never show that scoring touch at the NHL level. It's a lot easier to shoot 21% at the AHL level than it is at the NHL level. He could be a late bloomer though so we'll see.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
Are we sure he's getting 3rd/4th line minutes? He's not getting pp time, but that doesn't mean he's getting 3rd/4th line minutes.

re: his scoring touch, it's kind of hard to say. There are a lot of guys that were much more prolific scorers in JR. hockey that put up big numbers in the AHL as well (Chris Terry, Zach Boychuk, to name a couple, that never show that scoring touch at the NHL level. It's a lot easier to shoot 21% at the AHL level than it is at the NHL level. He could be a late bloomer though so we'll see.
By everything I have read and looked @ checkers facebook page, he usually starts 3rd line. Of course he plays PK as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->