Cheap Tablet for PowerPoint Only - Recommendations

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I'm looking for a cheap, but presentable tablet that will only be used in meetings for attendees to view PowerPoint presentations.

Chrome or Linux base is fine. Just has to be cheap and presentable. These will be used by Board Members.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
How cheap is cheap, and what size do you want? Is a Chinese seller acceptable?

These are 8 inch Windows tablets, and are dual OS (Windows/Android). They run off an Atom Z8350, and cost $93.49 USD for one, but they do have scaling pricing for larger orders.

Telecast X80

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
How cheap is cheap, and what size do you want? Is a Chinese seller acceptable?

These are 8 inch Windows tablets, and are dual OS (Windows/Android). They run off an Atom Z8350, and cost $93.49 USD for one, but they do have scaling pricing for larger orders.

Telecast X80

I thought maybe a chrome book type tablet or something since these literally will only be used 4 times a year to read PP by board members. I thought I was gonna need to get once ASAP for meeting, but they don't need the one that died for this meeting, so I've got more time to shop.

Looks like we might go with the ASUS Zenpad. Seems to be mid range and doesn't look cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/ZenPad-Camer...keywords=tablet+10+inch&refinements=p_89:Asus

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I'm guessing that given your particular situation, you're probably better off buying from Amazon, rather than a Chinese source, but I thought I'd post a few more here anyway.

Jumper EZpad 4s

$128 - however there is also a 20 percent coupon on the page, so closer to $105 without buying volume. Similar specs to the one you're looking at, but half an inch larger, and 1366x768 instead of 1200x800. Windows 10 machine. Available (pogo I believe) keyboard.

Chuwi Hi10 Plus

$160, although there's a 20 percent discount code on the page that I BELIEVE you can apply. 10.8 inches, similar processor, more storage (although I'm guessing that doesn't matter for your office), 1920x1080. Windows 10 machine, plus Android 5.1. Available pogo keyboard, and stylus. 4 GB RAM

iWork 10 Ultimate

$170, however there's a 13% off coupon on the page. Pogo keyboard and stylus available. Dual boot, Windows 10 and Android 5.1. 4 GB RAM. 10.1 inch, 1920x1200. I have a Cube i7 Book - it uses a Wacom stylus - I'm not sure if this one uses Wacom technology, or just a regular stylus.

Now, the Android only machines...

Telecast X16 Plus

$142 - might be able to use their 20% tablet clearance code. Very similar to the one you posted, but 1920x1080, and a 10.6 inch screen. Running Remix 2.0 - this is a form of Android, but I'm not familiar with it to know how well it works.

Telecast X10 Plus

$135, however it DOES have a 20 percent coupon on the page that you can use. Pretty identical specs to the one you posted, including Android 5.1.

There are other cheaper tablets running on ARM processors, but I don't know enough about the ARM lineup to know what processors stack up, so I stuck with Atom z8300/z8350 processors.

Once again, I suspect you're probably better off staying with Amazon, but you know your company's situation best - but this helped me kill 20 or 30 minutes of a dead work morning :)
I didn't check the coupons too closely, but the site does apparently have a tablet clearance on right now.

Last edited:

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
my recommendation would be to not use powerpoint

Not only is it not my choice, there is a HUGE projector set up for laptop presentations, but each Board Member needs a tablet they can look at the presentation on sitting 10-15 feet away from the screen. These are closed, so I don't really know what goes on, but members fly from around the world to attend 4 times a year. Crazy.

Thanks Kestrel. Glad I could help you waste some time :)

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
A used Surface RT or RT 2 is both cheap and presentable.

They have Powerpoint baked into the OS but they haven't updated it for a couple of years so I don't know if it would work for you. I wouldn't pay much more then $50 to $75 on one but if that's all you need it for it may be a cheap alternative.

It's a beautifully made device with an abortion for a stillborn OS, there's a lot it can't do but if it can do what you want it to do, who cares about the rest of the stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad