Player Discussion Charlie Lindgren

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He'll be a better backup than Montoya next year and he'll push Price to be better. Plus it'll give McNiven some more minutes in Laval

McNiven and Hawkey battle in the AHL next year? Will be interesting to see their development but our AHL team needs improvements if Laval is going to do well as a team.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The only thing stupid is your negatively and concentration at side angles to debate. A players stats after 12 NHL games does mean something. It shows you potential. Am I saying it's guaranteed to continue? No. However, it's nice to see and exciting to watch. I didn't catch all of the game last night due to pool night but I did catch the end of the 3rd, OT, and the Shootout. It was very entertaining to watch.

Keep your head up bud! There are a few positives to talk about.
You guys should really grow a thicker skin. There was nothing negative in my posts.
I said he's played well thus far.
-Yes, it means nothing moving forward. He can continue, or crash, or average out. That's why nobody takes 12 game samples for anything. Nothing negative about this.
-Yes, he isn't part of the top 60 goalies for Games started this year. He has 9. Which doesn't even put him in the back up category. That's called perspective, there is nothing negative about this.
-I mentioned on more than one occasion how he's played well and hope he continues. Nothing negative there either.

Seriously, you guys are so f***ing sensitive. Holy crap. Must be part of the participation trophy era.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You guys should really grow a thicker skin. There was nothing negative in my posts.
I said he's played well thus far.
-Yes, it means nothing moving forward. He can continue, or crash, or average out. That's why nobody takes 12 game samples for anything. Nothing negative about this.
-Yes, he isn't part of the top 60 goalies for Games started this year. He has 9. Which doesn't even put him in the back up category. That's called perspective, there is nothing negative about this.
-I mentioned on more than one occasion how he's played well and hope he continues. Nothing negative there either.

Seriously, you guys are so ****ing sensitive. Holy crap. Must be part of the participation trophy era.

There was no sensitive comment, it was sarcasm in response to your stupid side debate of 9 games vs 12. Keep back peddling. :popcorn:

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
New brooms sweep clean.

I am not on board with the notion that Price will perform better with some competition. Isn't that a reason why Halak was traded?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
There was no sensitive comment, it was sarcasm in response to your stupid side debate of 9 games vs 12. Keep back peddling. :popcorn:
There is no debate. He's played 9 games this year. But little miss sensitive here can't accept that for some reason and needs to say 12...
Ya, he played 12 games in 3 years...Wow. You sure showed me! :biglaugh:

And there is no back peddling. Go read my first post, I mentioned how he's played well. But again, too sensitive to read properly. No worries miss, enjoy your popcorn.

Ronharveyjr

Jan 16, 2018
Remember when Patrick Lalime came into the league and broke Ken Dryden's consecutive wins for a rookie goalie record? Boy that was sure the start of a legendary career I tells ya.

I'm not gonna bother collecting every example of every goalie that got hot in their first starts and then got figured out while being unable to find consistency in their game. But it wasn't that long ago people were praising Dustin Tokarski here.
Lol remember Andrew Hammond with Ottawa

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There is no debate. He's played 9 games this year. But little miss sensitive here can't accept that for some reason and needs to say 12...
Ya, he played 12 games in 3 years...Wow. You sure showed me! :biglaugh:

And there is no back peddling. Go read my first post, I mentioned how he's played well. But again, too sensitive to read properly. No worries miss, enjoy your popcorn.

Wow... Still talking about the 9 games vs 12 eh? :thumbu:

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
He'll be a better backup than Montoya next year and he'll push Price to be better. Plus it'll give McNiven some more minutes in Laval

the way he is playing, Lindgren may not be the backup next year....we might end up with a 10 million dollar backup next year

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
12 NHL games in his career. 9 games this year. I'm sure you are smart enough to put this together on your own? :biglaugh: So, do you have any examples of a young goalie who has stats like this after 12 games? Or are you too concentrated at stupid side angles to debate?
Oh, come on. :thumbd:

Patrick Lalime, at 22, in his first 18 NHL games:

18 GP - 14 W - 0.942 SV% - 1.83 GAA - 3 SO

He cracked .910 on a season exactly twice in his career after that and is mostly remembered for the beach ball goals he kept surrendering to the Leafs in the playoffs while a member of the Senators.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
It's tough being a starter. and I hope they don't give him too many games and let's him end the season with confidence. Condon started off amazing too when he got a chance to replace Price in 15/16: 9-2-3, 2.11 GAA .918 SV%

He's guaranteed backup next season, the games he plays this season should help him prepare. Luckily(?) the Habs team defense is actually better than what he's used to in the AHL under Leferbvre. :laugh:

Ronharveyjr

Jan 16, 2018

He cracked .910 on a season exactly twice in his career after that and is mostly remembered for the beach ball goals he kept surrendering to the Leafs in the playoffs while a member of the Senators.
url.gif

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Sure, Lindgren will turn into Lalime right? Is Lindgren the next Anderson, Talbot, Schneider ect or is he the next Lalime, Condon? Could go either way but his current stats are very impressive. In truth, his stats after 12 games are ranked very high compared to many other goalies.

Also, Why did you pick 18 games when he played 39 games in his 1st NHL season? It has nothing to do with the next two games where he allowed 4 and 6 goals right? Or the following 21 games where is stats took a nose dive. Maybe your narrative turns out true and Lindgred also takes a nose dive, but maybe your wrong.

The point is Lindgren is a positive after his 12 games. I question your motives when you compare him to Lalime who turned into bust and not to Anderson, Talbot, or Schneider who started as back-ups and became a starting goaltender. It's extremely negative.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
My motive is to show you, much like others here have tried to tell you, is that twelve games is a laughably small sample size and won't tell you spit about whether a player will become an NHL regular, an AHL-NHL bouncer, an NHL star, or a complete bust who'll end up in Europe.

Are Lindgren's stats good? Yes.

Can they tell us anything about where his career is going? No, not with any confidence.

Reactions: Tighthead

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Hard not to like him, he plays with an edge

im not completely done with carey but its hard to look at that situation and feel good, is lindgren decent enough to carry a load for 60 games the way carey does (did?), are careys better years behind him? maybe, are his most expensive days ahead of him? thats a killer

most people would think "great another stud goalie in the system! trade him halak style!" but its different this time around...feels like more of a crossroad all of a sudden

i cant imagine, from what ive seen this year from BOTH goalies, that carey is right now THAT much better at 10 mill then our new goalie at 0.7 mill.. disheartening feeling

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
That was not my point at all.

Be excited. He's playing great. But temper expectations until he shows consistency.
I can agree to that, I'm not labelling him as a saviour, I just like what I see and I'd wager that most fans would agree with me.....

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Hard to say how the future looks. I think a top 10 NHL goalie will be paid $7-$10M range in a few seasons. Very curious to see what Bob gets with the Blue Jackets. He starts his next contract at age 31, just like Price.

Cap is rumored to be going up $3-$5M due to extra revenue from Vegas. That is a big change from the average $2M a year increase the NHL has been on over the last 4 seasons. With another expansion team (maybe two) in the horizon, I expect the cap to rise significantly in 2-3 years time.

If Lindgren can continue to show promise in the next season or two, we can trade Price (retain $1.5M) and still be below average on goalie salaries moving forward....

- Retention from Price ($1.5M)
- Lindgren's new salary in a few years could be $7M max (or someone else) ?
- Back-up Goalie (McNiven, Hawkey, Primeau) at $1M max

That's a total of $9.5M for goalies if Price continues to struggle and we trade him with salary retention. I'm not that worried but Price needs a rebound season next year though.

How do you go about trading a player with a full NMC?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How do you go about trading a player with a full NMC?

Depends on how the next 2 or 3 seasons go. Lets see how the age 25 and under core improve. If they do, we are a much better team. If they don't, Price/Weber likely approach our GM asking for a trade.

Lets say we are still struggling in 2/3 years. It's not the end of the world. The oldest part of our age 25 and under core would be Gallagher and he is age 27/28 in 2/3 years from now while Price is 32/33 and Weber is 34/35. Price and Weber have less term left and are easier to move with a larger salary cap as well.

That's my preferred plan as it stands today but hey... The future and priories can change. We need to keep our cap space and our options open for the big fish vs the Alzner type contract.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Ok, so when Lindgren (who's played a dozen or so games in the NHL) becomes our #1, and we keep sucking for a few more years, despite the great young core and stocked farm (that you've told us we have), we force our current #1 (who loves Montreal, where he's currently raising a young family) to demand a trade, and by that time (we assume) $10.5mill in cap hit will be somewhat reasonable for other teams to take on. Perfect. Sounds foolproof. Great plan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->