Characterizing a deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

dedalus

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm just looking for quick opinions. No justifications necessary but feel free to post 'em if you got 'em.

In 1992 Philadelphia and Quebec's deal for Eric Lindros was concluded.

For the rights to Lindros, Philadelphia sent to Quebec: Mike Ricci, Peter Forsberg, Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, Ron Hextall and future considerations (Chris Simon) plus the Flyers' first-round choice in the 1993 entry draft and 1994 entry draft and $15 million US.

Agree or disagree: Because of the money exchanged, it would be fair to say that Philadelphia bought Lindros from the Nordiques.

dedalus

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Benton Fraser said:
To a certain extent yes.... but the players that the Flyers gave up in the deal were by their own merits significant.

Thanks for the input.

Hmm ... I'm kind of looking for an agree or disagree on this. Since it's your immediate response, I'll put you down as a "Yes. The Flyers bought Eric Lindros from the Nords."

I should probably be clearer in what I'm asking. I'm not asking for an assessment of the deal. Rather I'm asking for an assessment of the phrase: "The Flyers bought Eric Lindros."

Last edited:

Bulldog fan

Timmy Dogs Alum 1999
Nov 5, 2004
101York Bld Hamilton
dedalus said:
Thanks for the input.

Hmm ... I'm kind of looking for an agree or disagree on this. Since it's your immediate response, I'll put you down as a "Yes. The Flyers bought Eric Lindros from the Nords."

I should probably be clearer in what I'm asking. I'm not asking for an assessment of the deal. Rather I'm asking for an assessment of the phrase: "The Flyers bought Eric Lindros."
Bought Eric Lindros?, more like they just rented him, now that we know how it all panned out. ;)

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
What's especially crazy about that deal is how much $15 million got you then compared to now. I think many look back on that deal, see the 15 million, and think "eh", not realizing that in terms of payroll, that's roughly the equivalent to 40 or 50 million today.

iagreewithidiots

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Put me down for no.

That was a big package to give up for any player. If it had been spare parts, mid round picks, and cash I would say yes. But with Forsberg, Ricci, and 1st round picks no.

ChehabiX

Feb 27, 2002
I'd say no. IMO, this trade is so overrated. I'd look at this to as a restricted free agent signing. That would be $15 million and 5 1st rounders and there were 3 first rounders in the deal including Forsberg. Then I'd look at Mike Ricci, Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, Ron Hextall as the other 2 first rounders (they're really good picks).

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
The answer is "no." Players are not "bought." What the Philadelphia Flyers purchased was the rights to Lindros pertaining to his playing in the National Hockey League. They did not buy Lindros himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad