Change of Season's Season????

Discussion in 'The Business of Hockey' started by BrickRed, Jan 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrickRed

BrickRed Registered User

Home Page:
    Let's think out of the box here -- why couldn't a new season start in April and run thru September???? There would be less competition from other sports (really only baseball that time of year -- not football, NCAA March Madness, etc.). Please reply if you have real life knowledge regarding quality of ice in summer, especially for teams in the southern and western United States.

2. Cropduster

Cropduster Registered User

I know it sucks especially in the southeast where it is hot and humid (Florida)

3. Benji Frank

Benji Frank Registered User

Home Page:
    It's an interesting concept, but I'm sure the last thing people want to do over summer holidays in Canada is sit in a stuffy arena & watch a hockey game simular to currently trying to convince people to watch games in the Southern States......

One or two might be a neat idea, but it's a winter sport ... the kids are playing soccer by summer......

If San Jose had knocked out Calgary last year, I'm sure the vast majority of Canada wouldn't have given a hoot about watching & finding out who won the cup.... as it was, most of America didn't give a crap either......

4. Isles72

Isles72 Registered User

I'd personally like to see the season start a tad earlier than it currently does and of course , end earlier .

ideally a mid September start with a mid May end

5. FLYLine27*

FLYLine27* BUCH

PO
    I think the NHL should run all year long with a month break in Aug. 102 game schedules! :D

6. waffledave

waffledave waffledave, from hf

Software Developer
    When it's hot outside, the ice in arenas is pretty crappy.

7. Yeah head to head with Baseball we would kill em, but hockey is not a summer sport.

8. Maybe people would think of ice hockey, when its hot outside..

9. Hawker14

Hawker14 Registered User

the summer's for drinking beer and fishing.

10. Brooklyn Ranger

Brooklyn Ranger Registered User

You seem to forget the all the preparations teams go through during May and June to keep arenas cool enough so the ice doesn't immediately turn to slush when the puck is dropped. They turn on the AC to the highest level, close all the doors so the cold air doesn't seep out and try and get the building down into the lower 60s. And that's just New York in May. I recall that they brought in extra AC units (big ones) to cool either Tampa Bay's or Florida's arena (or maybe both) during their Stanley Cup runs. It's just not feasible to do that game after game after game during the season.

Not to mention I would go from seeing 25-35 games a season to about 6. Much as I like hockey, I can't imagine sitting in MSG in August watching it. It's a winter sport for more than one reason.

11. futurcorerock

futurcorerock Registered User

Actually, I read in SI that Tampa Bay's arena is built to accomodate to the temperature. They create a seal on their building and that keeps all the cold air in and they turn it extra low for the game days, so when fans entering they dont lose so much a/c as they walk in. Once in, they have the place sealed like a bubble so that the indoor temperature is consistent.

12. hockeyfan125

hockeyfan125 Registered User

nno dice.

hockey is meant to be played in november decenmber etc

and its meant to be watched then too.

13. GKJ

GKJ Global Moderator

I wouldn't be opposed to starting the season a month later. That's just my preference though it would probably be best if it was kept the way it was but if you push everything back 1 month, half of the playoffs is played after the NBA playoffs are done. In olympic years the olympics would occur a month earlier which would lessen the clutter of games to end the season.

14. Brooklyn Ranger

Brooklyn Ranger Registered User

Then it must have been Florida who had to rent huge ACs to get the building cold enough. And I wonder if TB's arena could handle doing it through July and August when May and early June are (cool) memories.

15. Bicycle Repairman

Bicycle Repairman Registered User

Home Page:
    Isn't there Professional Roller Hockey during the summer months?

EDIT: Apparently RHI is kaput.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  16. Sinurgy

Sinurgy Rebuilding

Florida is bad enough but I can't imagine the difficulties that would face Phoenix. The average temperature here in the summer is about 105 degrees. Average!!!

17. HF2002

HF2002 Registered User

Home Page:
    IF the lockout is settled in time to have a sesason I don't see a reason not to go longer this year if it means there's a legitimate season. Beyond that, the schedule should remain as it always has.

If it means that the playoffs end in late July, so be it. Besides, it would only be 2 or 4 teams who reach July anyway. Then the next season could start up in late October/early Nov. The season '06/'07 could then start as it always has.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.