Chances of 05-06 Season Happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafer4Life

Go Leafs Go!
Oct 4, 2002
Owen Sound,Ontario
www.facebook.com
I'd say about an 80 or 90% chance. I don't think that they really could afford to lose another entire season. They have a lot of time to negotiate before September, and they DO seem to be getting closer, so we'll most likely get to see NHL hockey in 05-06. However there is also a small chance that we won't get to, if they keep coming out of EVERY meeting saying "no progress made" and "we continue to have philosophical differences", or if Bettman lowers that 42.5 to 30 something, YIKES! Hopefully though, we'll wake up one day, and hear "Deal has been reached, 05-06 season will start on time". I pray this is the case........... :bow:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
NYRangers said:
You already saw cracks in the PA. It will continue.

I agree. At some point over the spring/summer both sides will crack enough to get this done. At some point some of the big money owners are going to tell the idiots to screw off.

Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

Heh, I like people saying, "they couldn't possibly lose ANOTHER season, the NHL would not survive !"

It's just like back in December when people were saying "they couldn't possibly cancel the season, the NHL would not survive !"

Everybody has to understand this is going to take a long time.

It took Thatcher a couple years to break the power of the mining unions in Britain (good or bad), and these were average joe people with average joe incomes.

The PA is not going to lose its gravy ticket, and the grinders and 4thliners will follow their 'team' mentality. The owners are financially prepared for a long standoff and for some, this is the endgame in which if they do not get what they want they will not be in the league much longer. This lockout will go on for years.

And the NHL will not go away, it will not 'fold', it will survive a multi-year lockout and come out fine. The fans will eventually come back in Canada and the traditional US markets, and nobody cares about the southern states so there's no harm there.

Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

go kim johnsson said:
I agree. At some point over the spring/summer both sides will crack enough to get this done. At some point some of the big money owners are going to tell the idiots to screw off.

LOL.

30m salary cap:

"big money owner" gets 90m revenue with a current roster of 60m.

"small money owner" gets 40m revenue with a current roster of 42m.

Hmm, yeah definately. Those big money owners won't care about the 60m in savings, not one bit !

You're funny gkj. :dunce:

Leafer4Life

Go Leafs Go!
Oct 4, 2002
Owen Sound,Ontario
www.facebook.com
ODC said:
Heh, I like people saying, "they couldn't possibly lose ANOTHER season, the NHL would not survive !"

It's just like back in December when people were saying "they couldn't possibly cancel the season, the NHL would not survive !"

Everybody has to understand this is going to take a long time.

It took Thatcher a couple years to break the power of the mining unions in Britain (good or bad), and these were average joe people with average joe incomes.

The PA is not going to lose its gravy ticket, and the grinders and 4thliners will follow their 'team' mentality. The owners are financially prepared for a long standoff and for some, this is the endgame in which if they do not get what they want they will not be in the league much longer. This lockout will go on for years.

And the NHL will not go away, it will not 'fold', it will survive a multi-year lockout and come out fine. The fans will eventually come back in Canada and the traditional US markets, and nobody cares about the southern states so there's no harm there.

Holy crap, buddy! Saying that the lockout will go on for years, what are you trying to do, kill me?!?!?!? I couldn't stand THIS lockout! If I have to put up with a lockout for years, geez, I don't know what I'll do. I don't think it'll come to that anyway. If they can't come to an agreement for the 05-06 season, they'll bring in the replacements(I don't even want to think about THAT either!) I think that the league would definitely fold, if the lockout went on for "years". A deal will be done by September(I hope, anyway.........).

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If the lockout costs an entire season next season, the NHL will be on the verge of folding.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
ODC said:
LOL.

30m salary cap:

"big money owner" gets 90m revenue with a current roster of 60m.

"small money owner" gets 40m revenue with a current roster of 42m.

Hmm, yeah definately. Those big money owners won't care about the 60m in savings, not one bit !

You're funny gkj. :dunce:

The big money owners are losing money right now. The small market guys are not losing money because they're not on the ice. Who knows how to run their business better? This isn't about player salaries.

Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

go kim johnsson said:
If the lockout costs an entire season next season, the NHL will be on the verge of folding.

You do know what constitutes 'folding' or a bankruptcy right ?

Saying the NHL will fold after 2 - 3 years of a lockout is like saying the common cold is going to kill us all. It's all FUD.

Leafer4life, sorry man, but that's how I rationally look at it.

If I were an owner, the prospect of a long term CBA with cost certainty and a low roster payroll is so tempting I'd lose 2+ seasons for it.

If I were an elite player, I wouldn't lose the chance to keep getting as much money as I possibly can. And if I were a grinder, I wouldn't sell my "brothers" down the river.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
ODC said:
You do know what constitutes 'folding' or a bankruptcy right ?

Saying the NHL will fold after 2 - 3 years of a lockout is like saying the common cold is going to kill us all.

At that point for so many teams, it's not even worth spending the money to come back, because 90% of the fans will be gone. Maybe the whole league wouldn't fold, but you'd be down to no more than 16 teams.

And then its so much for growth of the sport. Bettman will have succeeded in making the NBA the only game in town.

Maybe that's why the NBA sent him here. :help:

Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

go kim johnsson said:
At that point for so many teams, it's not even worth spending the money to come back, because 90% of the fans will be gone. Maybe the whole league wouldn't fold, but you'd be down to no more than 16 teams.

And then its so much for growth of the sport. Bettman will have succeeded in making the NBA the only game in town.

Maybe that's why the NBA sent him here. :help:

Debate's aside, yes contraction could happen but it still doesn't spell the end of the NHL.

The market economy of the world took worse hits during the depression, black monday in the 80's, the tech bubble in the 90's. Market corrections in the economy stunted and reversed growth, but the economy recovered after awhile.

What use is growth if it isn't self-sustaining ?

The NHL will be fine.

If you don't like Bettman though, well then that's another topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->