Championship for Marlies Mean What For the Leafs?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
so if more teams - no correction

If more teams and coaches tend to use more younger and younger players like the Marlies (ie: not build super "AHL" teams like Poulin and Eakins ran but more of what we see with the Marlies) and we see a shift of producing NHL talent that helps the main club win (not just the Leafs, but like if they trade them, and they help other teams win - are you honestly saying that doesn't (or would not) matter?

it's still development.
but we did build a super team since the Marlies relied heavily on a number of vets - Smith/Maricin/Holl/LoVerde - off the top of my head and there's always been limits on the number of vets than can be used so it's not like Poulin/Eakins just used vets to have the success they did

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
but we did build a super team since the Marlies relied heavily on a number of vets - Smith/Maricin/Holl/LoVerde - off the top of my head and there's always been limits on the number of vets than can be used so it's not like Poulin/Eakins just used vets to have the success they did

for the last four years?
the Marlies have set records almost every year and it's not just because of the small amount of vets they used they also leaned heavily on their ELC/younger players. during the whole march through the playoffs, it wasn't just Smith/Marancin/Holl (who is considered by the organization someone they want to bring up) /LoVerde.

i have heard countless times how Eakins used/heavily relied on players who weren't part of the Leafs future at all. you can't say the same thing about Keefe.

Reactions: Menzinger

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
for the last four years?
the Marlies have set records almost every year and it's not just because of the small amount of vets they used they also leaned heavily on their ELC/younger players. during the whole march through the playoffs, it wasn't just Smith/Marancin/Holl (who is considered by the organization someone they want to bring up) /LoVerde.

i have heard countless times how Eakins used/heavily relied on players who weren't part of the Leafs future at all. you can't say the same thing about Keefe.
we've had good teams at the AHL since Burke was here and i'll say again that there is a limit to how many vets can be used

when Eakins was coach he was just as highly regarded as Keefe on our board with many people saying he should have been our coach after Wilson and very few people were saying he relied on vets at that time , of course they've turned on him now since he went on to be an utter failure and they want to differentiate Keefe from him

Last edited:

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Wrote something for Hawkey Intangibles this evening in regards to the Marlies Cup win and what this translates for the Leafs, as well as comparisons to the last few Cup Winners (either side of the ledger). thoughts and constructive criticism always welcome (no you don't have to blow smoke up my butt but being rude doesn't help anyone).

I will be discussing Keefe in the next little while as well (in case this comes up).

happy reading!

HockeyIntangibles: Calder Cup Champion Marlies mean Leafs headed for Stanley Cup Success?
It's certainly not a bad thing for a farm team to win a championship.

But going back to 2000, as indicated in a previous thread, no NHL team has won a Stanley Cup in the 5 years following a Calder Cup win by their farm team.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
It means that their farm system is in good condition. This is definitely a good thing, but lets not overrate it; lots of those AHL stars on the Marlies are past the age where they will develop into solid NHL guys. That said, I am very excited to see if Johnsson cracks the opening night roster and what a full season of Dermott looks like.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Sorry, I have no idea what HockeyIntangibles is but the article is well written.

My answer to the question in the thread title? Well it can't be bad. The fact that they won it with genuine prospects instead of a core of veteran career minor leaguers makes it maybe something just a little better than the average Calder title.

Also, I find it amazing that our team this year was being fronted by a core of players that are really still rookies while we have the farm team stocked with championship calibre rookies-to-be tells me, again, yeah, it can't be bad.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
i'm not arguing against anyone , i'm simply making a point that at that time Eakins and the teams he coached were thought of in the same way as Keefe and his teams are

Though look at the number of players Eakins graduated to the Leafs vs the amount of guys who will have done so under Keefe. Large gap.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Though look at the number of players Eakins graduated to the Leafs vs the amount of guys who will have done so under Keefe. Large gap.

In Eakins defense... he only had players with truculence, testosterone and pugnacity to choose through. Devane, broll, Ross... etc

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Sorry, I have no idea what HockeyIntangibles is but the article is well written.

My answer to the question in the thread title? Well it can't be bad. The fact that they won it with genuine prospects instead of a core of veteran career minor leaguers makes it maybe something just a little better than the average Calder title.

Also, I find it amazing that our team this year was being fronted by a core of players that are really still rookies while we have the farm team stocked with championship calibre rookies-to-be tells me, again, yeah, it can't be bad.

thanks. it's a hockeyblog that WTFMAN started.
well that's the argument i'm making. like. a good chunk of this team (even looking back) has been players who have made their way onto the team ( starting with Nylander). it might not be for a bit longer but i truly think having a significant part of that core part of the leafs plans is only a good thing.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

It kind of pokes fun at the whole "intangibles" thing. Kind of like how people think how Clarkson had value because of intangibles etc...and obviously hockey is what the blog is all about.

Daisy and Steve have both written some real quality pieces since coming aboard.

Reactions: Menzinger and pawn

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Can't think of a reason why it is a bad thing to win the Calder.
I think it is a sign that the Leafs are finally developing players properly.
Look at the Leafs potential roster for next year, Willie, Hyman, Kadri, Kap, Johnnson, Brown, Leivo, Dermott, Reilly, Jake, Carrick and Sparks. That's 12 players who spent time with the Marlies and most them played in the same period.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
What I like about the Marlies win is how fired up Dubas was to win the Calder. It shows me how competitive he really is. It shows me how bad he must want the Stanley Cup.

Reactions: taurine330

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
It kind of pokes fun at the whole "intangibles" thing. Kind of like how people think how Clarkson had value because of intangibles etc...and obviously hockey is what the blog is all about.

Daisy and Steve have both written some real quality pieces since coming aboard.

lol he did ;)
I think he would have had more value had his back not been disintegrating as well

Reactions: WTFMAN99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad