GWT: Champions League - Semifinals

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Fabrizio is saying that result now confirms 5th UCL for Bundesliga, so Dortmund should really have their B team on Saturday against Augsburg.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Good defensive game by BVB who created 3 chances and scored one.
PSG created 4 (though the two posts are frankly 1) and didn't score on theirs.

What's frustrating is that you can see that PSG really played too laid back and without their hottest scorer who didn't even come onto the pitch late.

I still see PSG going through at home.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Safe is death against this PSG team. Only way to beat them is to go at them incessantly

Dortmund actually parked the bus against them pretty well this year. It backfired on them in that first match but worked well in the second one.
Yes Schlotterbeck only really needs to clean up the 1% of his game, when he can be pretty disastrous. When he makes mistakes, they tend to end up as a goal against. As said he's Dortmund's Upamecano. He's still pretty young though so I don't know why he wouldn't cut those mistakes out of his game.

FWIW these same exact things were said about Hummels in his early 20s, hopefully Nico can have similar success cutting the superfluous errors out of his game.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoVel

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Good defensive game by BVB who created 3 chances and scored one.
PSG created 4 (though the two posts are frankly 1) and didn't score on theirs.

What's frustrating is that you can see that PSG really played too laid back and without their hottest scorer who didn't even come onto the pitch late.

I still see PSG going through at home.
Yeah, both teams missed some absolute sitters.
So both can be both sad and happy with the result at the same time.

And I agree, PSG is still the favorite to go through. The group game in Paris wasn't particularly close. 2-0, if anything, flattered BVB.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
BTW, Turpin had a perfect game yesterday.
He's so atrocious in L1 and mostly good in Europe. No idea why.
Turpin is the French Lahoz. Perfect in Europe, then gets annoyed by shithousery in the domestic league and goes overboard with the main character syndrome at times.

Still, international competition, I'd welcome him to ref any big game.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Istvan Kovacs is the same in the domestic league. One of the best refs in Europe, (despite what Xavi said), or when refs big Gulf games, but main character in games at home.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah, both teams missed some absolute sitters.
So both can be both sad and happy with the result at the same time.

And I agree, PSG is still the favorite to go through. The group game in Paris wasn't particularly close. 2-0, if anything, flattered BVB.

It was pretty close until that handball :dunno:

PSG totally deserved the win and were easily the better team, but BVB was parking the bus very successfully until Süle happened.

PSG deserve to be favorites...but this Dortmund team is weird and when they bring their A-game they can be very tricksy, with Köbel capable of stealing points for them while Brandt has had one of his best seasons, Füllkrug is always a threat, plus Sancho, Adeyemi, & Bynoe Gittens have really been buzzing of late

Last edited:

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
That yellow card was one the best things he did all game, adding that to the video just shows a lack of football knowledge and/or an agenda. Have you already forgotten the CL game when Adeyemi ran the length of the field to score? He had a completely open flank there.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
That yellow card was one the best things he did all game, adding that to the video just shows a lack of football knowledge and/or an agenda. Have you already forgotten the CL game when Adeyemi ran the length of the field to score? He had a completely open flank there.
Look at the f***ing turnover right in front of his box. Direct pass to opponent at the box line. I'd sub him there. Right there.
That video didn't even show how he cost a yellow to Marqui and all. Nor his lack of pressing.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
What’s interesting to me is that Bynoe Gittens didn’t come on as a joker. He’s really been buzzing lately too and sending him out against tired defenders is always a good source of danger. With the joy Sancho & Adeyemi were finding, this felt like a game where JBG would be able to help extend their lead.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
What’s interesting to me is that Bynoe Gittens didn’t come on as a joker. He’s really been buzzing lately too and sending him out against tired defenders is always a good source of danger. With the joy Sancho & Adeyemi were finding, this felt like a game where JBG would be able to help extend their lead.
I thought so too. JBG for Adeyemi seemed like an obvious sub at that point.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I thought so too. JBG for Adeyemi seemed like an obvious sub at that point.

Maybe Terzic is hoping PSG won't be prepared for him in the decisive moments of the 2nd leg and didn't want to tip his hand, thus opting to just sit on their lead in this one? I missed most of the 2nd half so just trying to speculate about what his logic could've been.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Maybe Terzic is hoping PSG won't be prepared for him in the decisive moments of the 2nd leg and didn't want to tip his hand, thus opting to just sit on their lead in this one? I missed most of the 2nd half so just trying to speculate about what his logic could've been.
I initially thought that maybe he wanted to give Reus his final UCL minutes at the Westfalen, but didn't want to take anyone from the midfield out. But then he subbed Brandt for Nmecha a few minutes later so that doesn't make any sense. So you might be correct.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad