LEIPZIG14:45 MONACO

SHAKHTAR DONETSK14:45 NAPOLI

FEYENOORD14:45 MAN. CITY

LIVERPOOL14:45 SEVILLA

MARIBOR14:45 SPARTAK MOSKVA

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Really can't wait. We need revenge against this lot. I think I would like to see changes at fullback and in midfield.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Really can't wait. We need revenge against this lot. I think I would like to see changes at fullback and in midfield.

I think Gomez and Lovren come in for Trent and Klavan.

Club is going to need to respond in a big way. Sevilla is never easy. I think Coutinho makes the bench for this one, if not starts. They will try to reintegrate him ASAP, especially now.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Excited for CL football again. Feels like it's been longer than it really has been, partly becuase the trip a couple years ago felt like a dead end. Was an easy group then, but I didn't have many hopes beyond getting stomped in the eliminations.

This year feels a little different. I'm not expecting a finals run or anything, but I could see a trip to the quarters or maybe maybe semis baring a rough draw.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm thinking:

Gomez - Matip - Lovren - Robertson
Henderson
Wijnaldum - Chambo
Salah - Firmino - Coutinho​

Or change Chambo and Coutinho's positions.

Too pumped. Up the reds let's goooooooooo start off this CL campaign on the right foot (but not Mane's).

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't know what to expect from Dortmund. Back line seems the big question mark right now with the injuries. I would rather play Toljan on his debut than Zagadou against good wingers. And then if Bartra can't go, likely just Toprak comes in for Bartra, but I'd go with Toprak and Zagadou. Sokratis has been badly out of form since the end of last season. I would also like to see Dahoud instead of Castro, and maybe Yarmolenko instead of Philipp. If they deem Weigl fit to start, he goes in for Sahin, but I think the game might come a few days too early.

But we gotta get a good result. These Spurs games are going to be the important ones, unless we can get good results against Real again.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Dortmund pretty banged up, probably the best time for Spurs to get them at home. No Dele, but Aurier may make his debut.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Benfica's weakest team in a few years, we simply havent replaced the massive transfers and quality of players leaving.

No one to replace Nelson Semedo who went to Barca or Lindelof to Man United, not to mention Ederson.

We still havent replaced Sanches in CM or Gaitain outwide. Pizzi is a average CM who is found out against top quality players.

Witsel, Garay, Guedes, too much quality left the past few seasons that hasnt been replaced.

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Dortmund pretty banged up, probably the best time for Spurs to get them at home. No Dele, but Aurier may make his debut.

Would be shocked if we see Aurier. No reason to drop Trippier for this one.

Really have no idea how Dortmund will line up. I agree - maybe playing Dortmund early is the luck Spurs need. Could still very well lose this one though.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
A week ago, Monaco seemed unbeatable.
Right now, after their disastrous weekend, RBL must be really optimistic (especially since Nice countered them all game long).

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Would be shocked if we see Aurier. No reason to drop Trippier for this one.

Really have no idea how Dortmund will line up. I agree - maybe playing Dortmund early is the luck Spurs need. Could still very well lose this one though.

Bartra is confirmed to be out for the Spurs match unfortunately. Schmelzer also suffered a long-term injury. Those are the only changes I expect to the lineup from the weekend. 4-3-3-ish:

Bürki; Zagadou, Toprak, Sokratis, Piszczek; Sahin, Castro, Götze; Philipp, Aubameyang, Pulisic

Maybe Toljan instead of Zagadou. They've been good defensively so far, but that offense could have some issues.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Bartra is confirmed to be out for the Spurs match unfortunately. Schmelzer also suffered a long-term injury. Those are the only changes I expect to the lineup from the weekend. 4-3-3-ish:

Bürki; Zagadou, Toprak, Sokratis, Piszczek; Sahin, Castro, Götze; Philipp, Aubameyang, Pulisic

Maybe Toljan instead of Zagadou. They've been good defensively so far, but that offense could have some issues.

Thanks.

Almost so I think Dortmund are better off defending. Spurs have always been vulnerable under Pochettino against teams defending deeply. I don't know if the timing is there yet for Dortmund, but there is a lot of firepower on the counter attack among those attacking players.

If I were Bosz I would counter attack whenever I had the chance. If the CA doesn't work I would just keep the ball for as long as possible without really trying to score. Spurs are not easy to break down. From a Dortmund point of view that would hopefully frustrate Spurs - which again could lead to better CA opportunities.

Attack with a lot of players while Spurs are organized seems like a poor idea considering all the injuries.

Last edited:

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Benfica's weakest team in a few years, we simply havent replaced the massive transfers and quality of players leaving.

No one to replace Nelson Semedo who went to Barca or Lindelof to Man United, not to mention Ederson.

We still havent replaced Sanches in CM or Gaitain outwide. Pizzi is a average CM who is found out against top quality players.

Witsel, Garay, Guedes, too much quality left the past few seasons that hasnt been replaced.

CSKA is also weakest in years. They haven't bought any new players in 2 years.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I'm worried about the defense though. Piszczek hasn't been tested since Monaco last year, and we know he's not very good anymore. Sokratis out of form, missing probably our two best defenders in Bartra and Schmelzer, and while I like Zagadou, I definitely do not trust him playing out of position in his first Champions League game. Don't really trust Sahin either for defensive responsibilities in front of the back four. If we keep a clean sheet, its probably because Buerki made two or three very good saves that could've been goals.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Olympiacos vs. Sporting
Barcelona vs. Juventus
Roma vs. Atletico
Chelsea vs. Qarabag
Celtic vs. PSG
Bayern vs. Anderlecht
United vs. Basel
Benfica vs. CSKA

Not a bad first day. A couple good matches in Roma/Atletico and Barca/Juve.

Spurs vs. Dortmund
Real Madrid vs. APOEL
Porto vs. Besiktas
Leipzig vs. Monaco
Shakhtar vs. Napoli
Feyenoord vs. City
Liverpool vs. Sevilla
Maribor vs. Spartak

Spurs/Dortmund, Leipzig/Monaco and Liverpool/Sevilla all great games as well. Not bad for the first matchday.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Thanks.

Almost so I think Dortmund are better of defending. Spurs have always been vulnerable under Pochettino against teams defending deeply. I don't know if the timing is there yet for Dortmund, but there is a lot of firepower on the counter attack among those attacking players.

If I were Bosz I would counter attack whenever I had the chance. If the CA doesn't work I would just keep the ball for as long as possible without really trying to score. Spurs are not easy to break down. From a Dortmund point of view that would hopefully frustrate Spurs - which again could lead to better CA opportunities.

Attack with a lot of players while Spurs are organized seems like a poor idea considering all the injuries.

I highly doubt Bosz will have them defend deeply. It's not his style. If they counter attack, it'll probably be off recovering balls in midfield, unless it's off a corner kick or something. This Dortmund lineup is well suited to pressing and countering, but like Spurs are weak at breaking down a parked bus. Despite the apparent defensive strength of both teams so far this season, I foresee an up-and-down game, as I don't think either side will willingly cede possession to the other.

I'm worried about the defense though. Piszczek hasn't been tested since Monaco last year, and we know he's not very good anymore. Sokratis out of form, missing probably our two best defenders in Bartra and Schmelzer, and while I like Zagadou, I definitely do not trust him playing out of position in his first Champions League game. Don't really trust Sahin either for defensive responsibilities in front of the back four. If we keep a clean sheet, its probably because Buerki made two or three very good saves that could've been goals.

Yeah, I don't think this will be a clean sheet either. But their defensive stinginess so far hasn't really been due to the quality of the individual defenders. I don't think the full backs will be tested 1 on 1 vs. Tottenham either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad