Champions League Expanding;

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I didn't want to interrupt the CL Finals thread with this news. Thought it might deserve its own spot for discussion. CL is expanding to 36 teams qualifying with teams qualifying based on how their league teams did in Europe that year.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Pretty much the same since the more teams you have the better results you get. So it's more spots for the richest leagues.

Reactions: S E P H

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Winning the league and the champion league the same year will become almost impossible. Holy moly how many more games they need?
You will need two teams to compete.

Last edited:

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I particularly hate the new "mini-league" format.

It took me about 15 minutes to get my head round it. Even now I'm not sure I've actually understood it since its such a weird set-up - 36 teams in one league, but you only play 8 teams? How is the schedule going to be worked out? Is there some kind of seeding system?

Then throw in *another* knockout round for all but the top teams as if there weren't enough games already.

Reactions: NJDevs26

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Pretty much the same since the more teams you have the better results you get. So it's more spots for the richest leagues.
Yup, any way to increase money especially when 90% of the teams don't really have a chance to win it anyway barring some miraculous Leicester City type of upset.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It took me about 15 minutes to get my head round it. Even now I'm not sure I've actually understood it since its such a weird set-up - 36 teams in one league, but you only play 8 teams? How is the schedule going to be worked out? Is there some kind of seeding system?

Then throw in *another* knockout round for all but the top teams as if there weren't enough games already.
This makes all the complaining about the NHL playoff bracket look quaint. I understand throwing in more teams for monetary reasons but what the f*** do they think is going to be accomplished by basically randomizing the schedule? Just have six team brackets of six teams each, have the top two in each group automatically qualify for the R16, then have the next eight teams play off for the remaining four spots, easy peasy. You get 120 group games and eight playin games as an increase from the 96 group games now

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad