Prospect Info: Chabot - potential

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Really guys common ... Chabot and McAvoy are both really good prospects that have not finished developing.. If any of you can accurately project where they finish , and can realistically state one is wayyy better or AINEC better you would have tremendous value to any NHL team.

Scouting services that have people watching these players a lot try to project these guys all the time with no consensus. How do they compare to any prospect Dahlin, or Fox, or Brannstrom, or Hughes or Svechnikov or Heiskanen . If you can disect their games and compare them with accuracy on limited viewings .. you need to get a job in the NHL.

We've probably seen (on average) more of Werenski and Provorov .. who's better and why? Its hard to really measure. You may like one more, but that doesn't mean one is better AINEC :laugh:.

Here is the hockey prophets projection on who the top D prospects are... NOTE: I do not agree with the ranking but .... there it is

link

Boston fans are going to tell you McAvoy is better, Leafs fans will likely tell you Liljegren is the next great defenseman, Vancouver fans like Juolevi more than Svechnikov, who suddenly became the best D prospect in the eyes of TBL fans

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
That's pretty strange, and ballsy.
Am I being misunderstood here? I'm not saying McAvoy is going to be the #1 D in THE ENTIRE LEAGUE. Just that he's going to be a #1 D, along with, say, 30 other defensemen. In the top 15%. It's not an outrageous thing to say, given when he was drafted, his track record in juniors, the WJC, and the sample size of his play with Boston during the playoffs. No flaw jumped out at me.

He doesn't need to be a #1 D AT THE EXPENSE OF Chabot. Both can be #1 D for their respective team. I just see more risk for Chabot.

I'm genuinely curious (not sarcastic), in knowing what flaws or risk you guys see in McAvoy's play that could stop him for being a #1D.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Am I being misunderstood here? I'm not saying McAvoy is going to be the #1 D in THE ENTIRE LEAGUE. Just that he's going to be a #1 D, along with, say, 30 other defensemen. In the top 15%. It's not an outrageous thing to say, given when he was drafted, his track record in juniors, the WJC, and the sample size of his play with Boston during the playoffs. No flaw jumped out at me.

He doesn't need to be a #1 D AT THE EXPENSE OF Chabot. Both can be #1 D for their respective team. I just see more risk for Chabot.

I'm genuinely curious (not sarcastic), in knowing what flaws or risk you guys see in McAvoy's play that could stop him for being a #1D.
Calling any prospect a guaranteed #1 is pretty ballsy. Last time i thought that was Doughty. There were even qustions with Hedman.

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
There are no questions that I see with McAvoy. He is a great skater with a lot of offensive skill but the most important thing is that he knows when to defend and when to jump up in the play. He is defensively sound and is a brick wall who can skate and hit. McAvoy was 17 years old playing against men his freshman year at BU. The average age of many Hockey East teams is 22 yrs. old. BU is the second youngest team in the NCAA with BC being the youngest. He has elite hockey IQ, skating and defensive skills. He is also a great person. There are no flaws holding him back from becoming a top defenseman for the Bruins and eventually in the league.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So what are the questions with McAvoy? Genuinely curious. I'm no scout.

He's very well rounded, but that doesn't equal guaranteed number 1 d-men. There have been lots of prospects that were very well rounded that didn't amount to number one d-men, that isn't a bad thing it's just acknowledging that you set the bar extremely high, and imo are setting very unfair expectations on both guys. I'm extremely high on Chabot and would never suggest he is a guaranteed number 1 d-men, heck even first pair is far from a guarantee for either guy.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
There are no questions that I see with McAvoy. He is a great skater with a lot of offensive skill but the most important thing is that he knows when to defend and when to jump up in the play. He is defensively sound and is a brick wall who can skate and hit. McAvoy was 17 years old playing against men his freshman year at BU. The average age of many Hockey East teams is 22 yrs. old. BU is the second youngest team in the NCAA with BC being the youngest. He has elite hockey IQ, skating and defensive skills. He is also a great person. There are no flaws holding him back from becoming a top defenseman for the Bruins and eventually in the league.

I'd agree with this. His defensive game is incredibly well developed for his age. That is the one area where McAvoy is ahead of Chabot (for now).

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
With McAvoy I see a whole lot of hype being the result of 13 games - 6 at the NHL level and 7 at the WJC level. Same goes for Chabot really, who went from a good D prospect to a top 5 prospect in the league based on 7 games at the World Juniors.

Difference between the two is that Chabot deserves the hype for the season he had in junior, while McAvoy does not. Sample size is much bigger. Chabot crushed the Q with well over a PPG, while McAvoy's production stagnated with 26P in 38GP at BU - good, but not great production. Defensively McAvoy is superior, but I expect Chabot to largely bridge the gap when his game matures. He's got the size, speed, smarts and skill to defend well - will just take some time to put it all together.

In many ways this is a poor-man's Karlsson vs poor-man's Doughty argument. I think Chabot could eventually put up 50-60P with solid D, while McAvoy looks to me like more of a 30-40P D with a great all-around game. Give me the higher scoring, more dynamic puckmover over the solid all-around guy.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Damn, I don't think 60 points is realistic for Chabot at all. He'll top out as a ~40 point defenceman imo which is fantastic.

Last edited:

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Damn, I don't think 60 points is realistic for Chabot at all. He'll top out as a ~45 point defenceman imo which is fantastic.

Kalrsson and Burns are not normal, and they make 60 seem more normal than it is.
OEL's average over the last 4 years is only 45 points. He has only hit 55 once, and his next best is 44.
Weber's best is 56
Doughty = 59
Suter = 51
Byfuglien = 56
Pietrangelo = 51
Hamilton = 50
Carlson = 55
Giordano = 56
Letang has only hit 55+ once ever, and Duncan Keith only twice.

Consistently hitting 40+ would make me very happy. I think that makes you a 1D if you're good defensively (unlike someone like Klingberg for example)

Chabot's ceiling is OEL IMO (if all goes as planned, and I'm not counting on it)
I think Hamilton or Carlson is a more realistic ceiling that can be achieved though.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If Klingberg and Gostisbehere can put up 50-60P paces, I think Chabot can do the same.

I agree that 40-50P might be more realistic though.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If Klingberg and Gostisbehere can put up 50-60P paces, I think Chabot can do the same.

I agree that 40-50P might be more realistic though.

I think Ottawa would be very lucky if Chabot ends up averaging over 40 pts per yr but more importantly will be how long does it take him to get to those totals? IMO I think he averages somewhere between 35 to 40 pts but I also think it will take him 3 or 5 yrs to get to 35 pts or 40 pts. He'll be an interesting prospect to watch.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Calling any prospect a guaranteed #1 is pretty ballsy. Last time i thought that was Doughty. There were even qustions with Hedman.

Sure calling a prospect a #1 D is ballsy, but at some point the current 1D's were prospects as well. Right?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Dorion says good chance he can step in to methots role. Says he was high fiving the coach at scrimmage.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I'd prefer to shelter him at first - then let him work up the lineup gradually. I think he's going to be a stud, but let him start with what he can handle and give him more as he's ready.

Also, I think his optimal value isn't playing with EK, its being a stud and never being on the ice with EK. A stud D on the ice for 50+ mins a night... that would be insane. A long way to go before that would happen but, to me, that is the desired outcome.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
lmaoooooooooo dorion kills me

He scares me the way meknyk scares me.
Actually I can think of no other gm who speaks about players and team expectations more similarly to the way melnyk does. Often sounds very unrealistic and contradictory . I am worried as I watch the latest Dorion video on senstv. This is why I try not to watch him, but....I was bored.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad