Prospect Info: Chabot - potential

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
As the prospect rankings are wrapping up, I thought I'd do a little activity to see what we all expect from our prospects.

Select the poll option that is closest to what you see as the players potential.

#1 - Thomas Chabot

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I said 1D , obviously not over EK but I can see him potentially reaching the playing level of a 1D.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Realistically speaking, I figure you can say he'll definitely hit the 3D mark, and be the lead guy on the second pairing.

He does need to work on his defensive game to get to that first pairing level. I think he has the brains to do it.....but defensemen are so tricky...you really need an organization and coaching staff committed to developing your young defensemen to get the most out of them. Throwing a kid into the deep end of the pool (like what happened with Ceci this season), in my opinion, isn't the way to do that.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
On our team I can definitely see him as a #2 D. On deeper teams he could become an excellent #3 D.

Some issues with shots and with positioning/assertiveness in the D zone, but the latter can probably be fixed.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Don't like the poll how it's only points tied up with #.

I think he could score 50-60 points someday in his peak. I think he ends up more in the 40 point range in the main part of his career, and more of a #2 guy.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Don't like the poll how it's only points tied up with #.

I think he could score 50-60 points someday in his peak. I think he ends up more in the 40 point range in the main part of his career, and more of a #2 guy.

How would you structure the poll?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Has the potential to be the best dman in franchise history after Karlsson.

Skid

Sep 26, 2005
Canada
He's the best D prospect in the game right now. If he's not a projected number 1 Dman then there isn't one out there.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Could see him developing into a Josi-type #1 D that puts up 50+ points a season with decent defensive play.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Chabot should be able to develop into a #1 D in 3 to 5 yrs, I assume he gets called up this season at some point for some games probably around January & continues to get better & move up a notch as the coaches start to trust him more. Should be a permanent fixture on the team by next season probably on the 3rd pairing with some PP time & on the 2nd pairing the yr after, but PD will need to make some roster room sooner or later for these young D coming up.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
How would you structure the poll?

I think it is okay the way you've done it but let's say he is a 30 points player who play 24+ min..

Should we put him in 1D or 3D? TOI suggest 1D and points 3D.

Maybe they should have been separate with 3 vote.

1-2-3-4-5-6 D
Points ( 0-10, 10-20, etc)
TOI: ( ... )

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
4D tops this year if he's lucky. Even Karlsson wasn't that good his first year!

Just to clarify, the poll is asking about his potential down the road (not just this year). There was another poll asking what people expect of Chabot from this upcoming season, probably not too far back.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Chabot was far better in his respective development league and at the WJC.

6 playoff games doesn't make McAvoy the better prospect.
I guess it's a ceiling vs floor thing. I see no risk or flaws with McAvoy at all. If Chabot can reach all his potential, for sure he could be better than him. I wasn't necessarily comparing the two together (very different types of players), but I see no risk in projecting McAvoy to be a #1 D. With Chabot I see some risk.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I guess it's a ceiling vs floor thing. I see no risk or flaws with McAvoy at all. If Chabot can reach all his potential, for sure he could be better than him. I wasn't necessarily comparing the two together (very different types of players), but I see no risk in projecting McAvoy to be a #1 D. With Chabot I see some risk.

That's pretty strange, and ballsy.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I can't see Melnyk paying $12M to $15M on 1 player. Holy crap!!! What if Chabot is so good he takes over the #1 spot and makes EK expendable! :sarcasm: :popcorn:

Sir Karlsson

Apr 9, 2017

There is risk with McAvoy being a #3D let alone #1D. We'll see how he handles playing 20+ min/game for a full season. So far so good for him but the sample size is just not big enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad