pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
I would also add Lavallee and Boisclair as 2 previously undrafted players that
will get a good look.

DLMDLM

Aug 24, 2004
London Ontario
Syvret at 121?

Why would Syvret be at 121 with Manino at 95? I know he is older and in his third year of eligability but hasn't his stock increased better then 5th round. I was surprised. When he played so well in the WJC I thought he would be a little higher. Mannino is good but not close to Syvret in IMHO. I'm new to trying to see talent in young players but if he can improve half as much as last summer going into next year he will be the best defencemen in the league, assuming he comes back for an overage year.

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
Anyone want to comment on 22. Scott Jackson 29. Justin Abdelkader 31. Matt Pelech 33. Joe Finley 37. Matt Niskanen ? All with very little fanfare though ranked quite highly.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
bopeep said:
Anyone want to comment on... 29. Justin Abdelkader 33. Joe Finley 37. Matt Niskanen...

I'll give you what I know...

Abdelkader is a big forward playing in the USHL. Last year he was the Mr. Hockey winner in Michigan high school (don't confuse this with Minnesota high school which is much stronger). He'll be going to Michigan St. in the fall of '06 (after one more year in the USHL). What he has done so far this year is quite impressive considering the low level of hockey he was playing at last season.

Finley, who is also in the USHL, is obviously a big guy and he's got a mean streak to go along with that size. He has the mobility issues you'd expect of such a big player but he is supposed to have good tools. He was invited to the NTDP tryouts two years back so scouts obviously like his potential. He seems like a player that could thrive in the WHL (He was more highly regarded than Portland Winterhawks rookie d-man Mike Sauer in Minnesota high school last year) but I believe he's looking to go to college.

Niskanen is a late '86 playing Minnesota high school hockey (He's the second highest scoring d-man in the state with a 13-22-35 line in 14 games). He was a member of the US team that surprised everybody by winning the U18 World Cup two summers ago. From what I understand he's a smooth-skating, puck-rushing type of d-man. Mckeens seems to like him. He's going to Minnesota-Duluth next year.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
DLMDLM said:
Why would Syvret be at 121 with Manino at 95? I know he is older and in his third year of eligability but hasn't his stock increased better then 5th round. I was surprised. When he played so well in the WJC I thought he would be a little higher. Mannino is good but not close to Syvret in IMHO. I'm new to trying to see talent in young players but if he can improve half as much as last summer going into next year he will be the best defencemen in the league, assuming he comes back for an overage year.

He was mainly overlooked last year because of his size. However, this year Syvret bursted onto the scene, taking the C from graduated Danny Bois and making the Canada Junior team with a pile of returnees on the blueline. I think alot will depend on how he does in the second half of the season. I am going to predict that with Euros included, Syvret will go around the 4th or 5th round.

KingofSpain

Mar 5, 2002
Windsor, ON
Visit site
So, was the entire list released to the public somewhere, such as an free internet site? Because my local paper had the NA Skaters list today, all 8 rounds, but no goalies or Europeans.

Is Mike Duco really not listed? That makes no sense, especially with Kevin Henderson at 141. If its true, it is a prime example of CSB's emphasis on size.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->