OT: Central Jersey Youth Rec Hockey

gomek

Jul 10, 2007
As a parent and former rec player I’m always looking for some places my kids can play without breaking the bank. Here are few places I know of and I would love to hear other recommendations. (Special Hockey listed at the end)

Green Brook Hockey Club (roller hockey) Green Brook Hockey Club Spring and fall seasons for ages 5 to 17. Normally four divisions and all the members of the championship team get their name on the GreenBrook Cup. Registration is around $150 making it an inexpensive addition to ice hockey. Recommended.

Watchung Junior Warriors: Welcome to the Watchung Hills Jr. Warriors Hockey Club - Watchung Hills Jr. Warriors Hockey Club (2005 birth year to 2015) This has been described to me as rec hockey plus. Rec hockey price and they play some travel teams.

Protech Ponds – Protec 3v3 Tropical League - Summer 2019 - PROTEC PONDS ICE SKATING CENTER Home of the ducks, they feature a summer 3 on 3 league. They also have “stick time” where parents and kids are welcome on their smaller rinks. I believe this is $15 per session.

Woodbridge Community Center Youth Ice Hockey | Woodbridge Township, NJ Home of the Wolfpack, they feature some great in-house leagues.

Bridge water Sports Arena - Bridgewater Sports Arena Home of the Rockets. They sometimes have rec leagues though it is not their focus.

Hackensack Ice House - https://www.icehousenj.com/youth-hockey

Special Hockey:
There are A LOT of special hockey opportunities for kids and adults in NJ. These are inclusive programs and typically you only need an IEP to qualify. Most of these programs are inexpensive and some will outfit the kids if needed. Some also A, B and C teams and welcome older players.
Woodbridge Warriors: WOODBRIDGE WARRIORS SPECIAL HOCKEY
Woodbridge Warriors Sled: WOODBRIDGE WARRIORS SLED HOCKEY
Avalanche Special Hockey: NJ Avalanche | American Special Hockey
New Jersey Dare Devils: NJ Dare Devils | Hockey is for Everyone, and Everyone is a Star
Brick Stars Challenger Hockey Brick Stars
Mercer County Bulldogs: Mercer Special Hockey | Mercer Special Hockey

Reactions: thethinglonger

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Jersey Shore Arena in Wall has 3 sheets, and I know in years past fielded multiple teams in specific divisions.

Middletown is in the process of building their second sheet of ice. Pretty sure Jimmy Dowd is with that program now. This is also the home of the NAHL titans which is some really good hockey.

I know Jersey Shore was under new ownership a year or so ago, and I think those same owners purchased middletown more recently.

Red Bank I think tends to be a bit more expensive but the arena has a ton of character and more importantly the best ice around.

If you want cheap hockey, look for the open ice sessions, I know Middletown has youth only sessions, while Jersey Shore has all ages, which is just crazy. Not sure if Red Bank really has much by way of youth open hockey.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If your open to out door roller, union beach has a really nice rink. With lights. And it's all free.
Hard surface though so do not wear your indoor wheels or they will get destroyed.

I think there is a rink with a sport court in Hazlet though I have never been.

Used to be a rink 2 blocks from my house but it fell into disrepair and they closed it up and took down the boards. Very depressing.

gomek

Jul 10, 2007
those are a little out of my driving radius, but obviously good additions as I didn't have any info on those. I'm actually really surprised there are not more roller options (indoor or outdoor). I think Aberden (sic?) is the only other rink I know of for roller but I don't think they do youth leagues there.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
those are a little out of my driving radius, but obviously good additions as I didn't have any info on those. I'm actually really surprised there are not more roller options (indoor or outdoor). I think Aberden (sic?) is the only other rink I know of for roller but I don't think they do youth leagues there.
Tab Ramos in Aberdeen and I'm pretty sure they do have youth leagues. I know they used to.

There is an indoor roller rink in Metuchen I believe. Don't know any details.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad