Centennial Leafs Retrospective: Prologue - A City & The Team They Love

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
YBpNpes.jpg

All the best stories start with "Once Upon a Time." Or at the very least, "In a time long a go" There would always be dragons to slay and evil kings to defeat. There, naturally would always be a hero to come out from the darkness ready to save the innocent if need be, and at the end of the story, gallantly raise their lance to the adorning crowd who loved the who chanted his name. Those were always my favourite stories.

So it seems fitting that my favourite team, the Toronto Maple Leafs at certain points of their history has had a cataclysm of those type of stories. They have had their multitude of heroes to entice a city, they have had their evil lords that they had to overcome. The Maple Leafs have been both the dragon that the other team had to slay - and the wistful upstart that had to overcome all odds to attempt a chance at greatness.

The Toronto Maple Leafs. Oh how they are loathed. But, Oh, how they are beloved. How they are, they make no sense, but at the same time they make all the sense in the world, if you tilt your head, and squint just right. This is a team, considering everything in their history.. shouldn't be as they are. And yet they are what they are, despite of that. They are like that penny you noticed on the sidewalk, perhaps stuck in the sidewalk. On one side, the trodden side, represents the last fifty years that this franchise has endured. The heartache. The bad decisions. The countless examples of "Leaf-Luck." that continually knocked the team, the fanbase and the city down. But then, when turned over, the other side is shiny...reflection of the historic beginnings the franchise is known for, and the hope that the fanbase continually hope for that bright and better days are soon to come.

The Toronto Maple Leafs:
100 Years of Existence
898 Players to Wear the Leaf.
16 General Managers to create & shape the team we love.
30Head Coaches that ran the ship
4 Major Owners that made this team .. interesting
3 Names, all cherished
3 Homes, 1 of which still looking for ultimate victory
13Championships, 2nd only to our fiercest rival.

There are only a few franchises throughout all of sports history that when you look back at any given point in time - they transcend beyond all reason. That they are bigger than wins. That they are more than their losses. They are just....that team. The Yankees are such a team, as is Manchester United. What is truly remarkable about what makes the Leafs in that echelon of teams is simply they haven't accomplished anything since 1967. But the size of the fanbase is one of immense size, often cited as one of the largest fanbases of sports with Maple Leaf blue-pride running not only across the country, but through the United States, South America, Africa, Europe, Asia and the Pacific.

"Why do you even bother cheering for the Leafs?" People ask.
"Why not?" a Leafs fan would report.
"Because your team #&$^ suck," people chortle.
"Yeah, but when we win it's going to be glorious, the Leafs fan smugly reply.

The Toronto Maple Leafs. So many other teams that would, or could be considered more "worthy" of the attention and of the accolades and yet it is this team that is the engine that powers the National Hockey League. It was the first hockey franchise to be worth more than a billion dollars, and the only NHL franchise to be in the top fifty valuable franchises. They dominate headlines as a team and steal headlines when their front office makes a move. If you want to be noticed in the hockey world, you generally make your statement, or your move around the streets of Bay and Lakeshore and just watch the hockey world come alive.

While there is HockeyTown, the Home Of Hockey, and the State of Hockey - many would acknowledge, (even begrudgingly) that it is Toronto, with their crazy, passionate fans and the team, that is the Mecca of the Hockey World.

As a current, elite superstar once said "No, no one really likes to admit it you know, but you always have one eye on Toronto and what they're doing, we always talk about it. You always want to beat them, naturally, but at the same time you can't help thinking at times, what it would mean for Toronto, and the league if they were to win. It would be huge, epic really. And let's be honest here, Toronto being successful, would be a great thing for the NHL and the PA." And oh how the television numbers prove it. In their lone playoff apperance in a decade, the Maple Leafs drew more television numbers throughout the first six games of their playoff series vs. the Boston Bruins. And shattered them during game seven. No other game was watched more during that playoff run, not even the Cup final between Chicago + Boston... and no other game came even close since.

Oh, the Toronto Maple Leafs. The Second of Six original teams. They were never as sexy or as polished as the team down the 401 into La Bell Province, the Canadiens, with Mister Beliveau, their Rocket, and of course their Flower. No. Toronto, since the day of their inception has been more of the "everyday man's team." From St Pats Green to Maple Leafs Blue, "Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders," and the adage "pull up the bootstraps, pick up your lunchbox, and go to work" has always been associated with the team. No matter if they were from Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec, or Kelvington, Saskatchewan, Kingston, Ontario or Jukkasjärvi, Sweden - those who pulled the cherished Leaf crest over their head may have brought fans to their seats by their skill - but won the hearts of a city by their will.

So many accomplishments. Equal amount of heartache. Always looking towards Tomorrow. The City's most beloved team is turning 100 years old, and there are so many stories that lay behind the crest that had so many faces. Stories that we may not know, and some that we all know. This is only the start of remembering our past and looking forward to our future. 100 Years. 10 Decades, and therefor (roughly) 10 post to remember, and reflect on what we may know or learn something new about the team that this city, and we love so much.

I can remember exactly when I became a fan of this team, and I have often been asked what would make me stop being one. And there is often a blustery response of "Oh if they draft this player, " or "if they make this move." but truly, the real answer is as it was told to Daenerys Stormborn. I'll stop being a Leafs fan ""When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east.When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves." That is when I'll stop being a fan, and not a moment before.

Honour. Courage. Pride:
the three words that the Leafs crest was founded for, lost for a time, but yet found again.

Go Leafs Go:
the three words that the most loyal fanbase chants every game night, for every season.

Toronto Maple Leafs:
a team that makes no sense. and yet still makes perfect sense. They are ours. And We are Theirs. Let's remember 100 Years, and set forth another 100 strong.

This isn't going to be like my usual "Loose-Leafs" or Cor's "What Just Happened" where it is full of reaction gifs, and what not. So hopefully, instead of discussing why "things aren't happening yet" we can really take the time this summer to look at the common thread that really connects us together as fans and look back together at how this team came to be and where they are going. Please join me and help me learn more about my team - and others too. Let's talk!

all image/video belongs to the owners. Quotes are from various articles, video/radio interviews. Relevant book quotes are from Game of Thrones.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Nice piece DJ! I still can't believe we're turning 100. It's a good reminder the Leafs are bigger than any of us. They were winning cups during World War 1! When Germany had a kaiser, and when Austria-Hungary and the Ottoman Empire were still countries. When Toronto was still very much Victorian. When most Canadians still lived on farms. When Babe Ruth was doing his thing in NY. When the world was in the Great Depression. When Hitler was conquering Europe. When Jackie Robinson was breaking the color barrier in baseball. When JFK was building a space program. How many teams can say they were winning championships while all that was going on? The Leafs were winning cups while they saw the world change around them. That blows my mind.

And can you imagine the next time we win the cup? The longer we wait, the sweeter it will be. It might be something like when the Red Sox won after 86 years, but unlike them, we had a winning tradition of 50 years BEFORE we went on our drought. We're also more prevalent in hockey than the Sox are in baseball. It'll be unlike anything the North American sporting world has ever seen.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Great read. Fills me with pride being a fan of this team. :D

When we win and our captain lifts ol' Stanley above his head, it'll be the greatest celebration the hockey world has ever seen.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Nice piece DJ! I still can't believe we're turning 100. It's a good reminder the Leafs are bigger than any of us. They were winning cups during World War 1! When Germany had a kaiser, and when Austria-Hungary and the Ottoman Empire were still countries. When Toronto was still very much Victorian. When most Canadians still lived on farms. When Babe Ruth was doing his thing in NY. When the world was in the Great Depression. When Hitler was conquering Europe. When Jackie Robinson was breaking the color barrier in baseball. When JFK was building a space program. How many teams can say they were winning championships while all that was going on? The Leafs were winning cups while they saw the world change around them. That blows my mind.

And can you imagine the next time we win the cup? The longer we wait, the sweeter it will be. It might be something like when the Red Sox won after 86 years, but unlike them, we had a winning tradition of 50 years BEFORE we went on our drought. We're also more prevalent in hockey than the Sox are in baseball. It'll be unlike anything the North American sporting world has ever seen.

Thanks you guys. I know that not a lot of people read (or comment) on essays, so I am really appreciative that you guys did. And that is the thing, it's not so much that we're turning 100, but it's sort of like...what you said. The Leafs as a franchise has seen so much history. Despite the team being amazing, can you imagine just knowing people were at war - but you still managed to go down to the Gardens anyway to watch a hockey game? They saw this city turn from farm land to what it is now.

I think the only drought being ended that could even come close, would be the Chicago cubs to be frank with you, and even then, I think the leafs would surpass that - simply due to how big we are. I remember someone asking around the draft Lottery why people were hating us more than ever and I honestly think that where as before, we thought we were big and important,, the "Evil Empire." we were pretty much living off the fumes of yesterday. Now we're being run by really smart people and we're going to slowly become the Evil Empire... who can actually start doing some damage. Nothing scares people more than the whipping boy that starts to get some courage beneath them.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
:handclap::yo::handclap::yo::handclap::yo:

Well done DJ.

I especially love this quote:

Toronto Maple Leafs:

a team that makes no sense. and yet still makes perfect sense. They are ours. And We are Theirs.

Rayban*

Apr 21, 2013
Ottawa
Man i love this team but im sick of all the ******** that doesn't involve winning. **** the rest of it. Great write up though.

Mad Brills*

Thanks you guys. I know that not a lot of people read (or comment) on essays, so I am really appreciative that you guys did. And that is the thing, it's not so much that we're turning 100, but it's sort of like...what you said. The Leafs as a franchise has seen so much history. Despite the team being amazing, can you imagine just knowing people were at war - but you still managed to go down to the Gardens anyway to watch a hockey game? They saw this city turn from farm land to what it is now.

I think the only drought being ended that could even come close, would be the Chicago cubs to be frank with you, and even then, I think the leafs would surpass that - simply due to how big we are. I remember someone asking around the draft Lottery why people were hating us more than ever and I honestly think that where as before, we thought we were big and important,, the "Evil Empire." we were pretty much living off the fumes of yesterday. Now we're being run by really smart people and we're going to slowly become the Evil Empire... who can actually start doing some damage. Nothing scares people more than the whipping boy that starts to get some courage beneath them.

It's more like the knicks, but yeah.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad