Ceci long Term or Bridge Deal??

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I used to like Ceci but honestly it seems like his hockey IQ gets worse and worse every year.

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
Ceci's bridge deal should involve showing him one to drive out of town on, to a land where soft, uncompetitive and generally lost is viewed as an asset.

He makes Cowen look like a raging beast of desire.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Bridge. We can't trade him. Who's going to play RD for us? Wideman?

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Mike Johnson was saying yesterday during the Caps-Sens broadcast how Ceci, being the de facto 2nd d-man behind Karlsson, may ask for $5M to $6M.

LOLOLOLOLOL AHAHAHAHAHA LOLOLOLOL TROLOLOLOLOL.

Note I am laughing at MJ, we don't know what Ceci's ask would be but I don't think he will be asking for the moon to re-up with his hometown team.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It would be great to be able to bring in a D coach like Larry Robinson to work with our D.. Most of these guys have to play within their limits and be coached up in several situations .. Its one thing to learn a system and play it well, its another to use what you have to maximize your play

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It would be great to be able to bring in a D coach like Larry Robinson to work with our D.. Most of these guys have to play within their limits and be coached up in several situations .. Its one thing to learn a system and play it well, its another to use what you have to maximize your play
And ceci has too many limits to be playing in his current role.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'd give him this Bridge deal
Bridge-to-nowhere.jpg

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I don't understand the disconnect between fan's and hockey op's views on Ceci. What the hell are they so obsessed with? Almost every fan who watches him agrees he's at absolute best a mediocre second pairing, decent third pairing guy, but hockey pros for some reason see something in him that no one else does. Praying we can trade him while he still holds value, like we didn't do with Cowen.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I would sincerely like a professional scout to illustrate to me why everyone thinks he’s so special. I don’t mean that in a bad way either. I just don’t see why mgmt thinks he’s untouchable.
He’s an NHLer yeah. He’s improving okay. But why is he figured so prominently on this team?
I really would like a professional opinion. A real scouting report. What do other team’s see?

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I would sincerely like a professional scout to illustrate to me why everyone thinks he’s so special. I don’t mean that in a bad way either. I just don’t see why mgmt thinks he’s untouchable.
He’s an NHLer yeah. He’s improving okay. But why is he figured so prominently on this team?
I really would like a professional opinion. A real scouting report. What do other team’s see?

I do not think anyone thinks he is special. but very useful, yes. And no this is not a professional opinion, but .....

He is a RHD who can play big minutes against the best players in the league and not give up a tonne of goals while doing that, nor take a lot of penalties while doing that job. He gets the hardest matchups in the league, of course he's going to look rough. There is a huge difference if you play Kucherov, Hall and Taveras every night instead of Bozak, Spooner and Poulliott. Evey player doing what he does, Larsson, Tanev, Slavin, they all have plays that make them look terrible every night. There is a reason he gets 32% Ozone starts vs > 60 for Karlsson. Thats because Karlsson cannot do what Ceci does defensively. There are not a lot of RHD in the league that can.

He is hardly perfect nor special. Its not the plays he makes that have hockey people holding him in high regard, its the plays that do not happen against him in high volume that matters. Only one other RHD in the entire league has less Ozone start percentage (Braun), that speaks volumes to the trust level the team has in him.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Did we even move out enough salary to be able to afford Ceci and Stone's extensions?

We have 61.5M committed towards 18 skaters. We get back 3.8 for Mac via insurance which brings us down to 57.7 for 18 skaters. Our free agents are Wideman (UFA), Claesson+Ceci+Stone (RFA). Assuming Wideman walks, we have to add two bodies at we'll say 800k each....that brings us up to 59.3M.

So assuming our budget is still 68M, we have 8.7M to sign Stone (4.5 QO), Ceci (3.35 QO), and Claesson (650k QO). All three are arbitration eligible. All their qualifying offers alone add up to 8.5M. They are all obviously getting more than their qualifying offers.

6+3.5+1=10.5M would be a very conservative estimate for all three considering the Senators backload their deals, so even if Stone signs for 7.5, he could make less in year 1. Same deal with Ceci where if he signs a two year deal for 4, it could be 3.5 in year 1, 4.5 in year 2.

....so the short answer is no.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I've been thinking Ceci is gonna end with a two year settlement prior to arbitration, but after thinking about it from the player's perspective, there's no way I would sign a settlement prior to the hearing. If I am Cody Ceci I pull some gangsta shit and insist on going to arbitration if the Sens won't do a long term deal. Assuming he thinks he can sit through Pierre Dorion and Randy Lee showing pie charts explaining why he is a bad player without crying like Tommy Salo did, Ceci has nothing to lose by going to arbitration if the Senators are only offering him a 2 year deal that isn't a substantial raise rather than a long term deal.

He can't get less than his qualifying offer in arbitration. Anything can happen in arbitration. What happens if he gets an arbitrator who really likes Danny Dekeyser's contract? We saw Hoffman get absolutely shafted a few years ago in arbitration, but it goes both ways.

Ceci has all the leverage here to get a long term deal because his qualifying offer is so close to what most people would suggest the Senators offer him on a 2 year deal. While the Senators as a budget team typically don't have a lot of wiggle room to the point where the risk of Ceci getting 4.5-5M in an arbitration case is probably a big one to take if the alternative is a 4-5 year back loaded deal where Ceci makes 3.5M in the first year, and the Senators can worry about trading him or making it work money wise later on.

When I initially thought about this, I really thought a 2 year settlement would happen, but thinking about it from the player's perspective, I think if we see a long term extension, it won't be because the Senators love Ceci, it'll be because they are afraid of going to arbitration and losing the ability to kick the can down the road with a back loaded contract.

Reactions: FolignoQuantumLeap

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
I've been thinking Ceci is gonna end with a two year settlement prior to arbitration, but after thinking about it from the player's perspective, there's no way I would sign a settlement prior to the hearing. If I am Cody Ceci I pull some gangsta **** and insist on going to arbitration if the Sens won't do a long term deal. Assuming he thinks he can sit through Pierre Dorion and Randy Lee showing pie charts explaining why he is a bad player without crying like Tommy Salo did, Ceci has nothing to lose by going to arbitration if the Senators are only offering him a 2 year deal that isn't a substantial raise rather than a long term deal.

He can't get less than his qualifying offer in arbitration. Anything can happen in arbitration. What happens if he gets an arbitrator who really likes Danny Dekeyser's contract? We saw Hoffman get absolutely shafted a few years ago in arbitration, but it goes both ways.

Ceci has all the leverage here to get a long term deal because his qualifying offer is so close to what most people would suggest the Senators offer him on a 2 year deal. While the Senators as a budget team typically don't have a lot of wiggle room to the point where the risk of Ceci getting 4.5-5M in an arbitration case is probably a big one to take if the alternative is a 4-5 year back loaded deal where Ceci makes 3.5M in the first year, and the Senators can worry about trading him or making it work money wise later on.

When I initially thought about this, I really thought a 2 year settlement would happen, but thinking about it from the player's perspective, I think if we see a long term extension, it won't be because the Senators love Ceci, it'll be because they are afraid of going to arbitration and losing the ability to kick the can down the road with a back loaded contract.
I have the opposite opinion and think that Ceci will get a two year deal at a pretty reasonable number. Almost all of his numbers are mediocre at best and the only thing he has to his advantage is his TOI. My understanding is that if Ceci takes the team to arbritraion then after the ruling the team gets to decide if it's a one or two year deal. If the number is above a certain threshold (not sure what that threshold is) then the team can walk away. I don't think Ceci has much leverage here at all...

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
If we're tanking, I don't understand why he wasn't on the block at the deadline.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I have the opposite opinion and think that Ceci will get a two year deal at a pretty reasonable number. Almost all of his numbers are mediocre at best and the only thing he has to his advantage is his TOI. My understanding is that if Ceci takes the team to arbritraion then after the ruling the team gets to decide if it's a one or two year deal. If the number is above a certain threshold (not sure what that threshold is) then the team can walk away. I don't think Ceci has much leverage here at all...

1 year deal doesn't matter at all, because he would have to be qualified at the same offer.

If the team walks away from Ceci because he is awarded too much in arbitration, he'll easily get 4-5 years 4M+ on the open market. So that's hardly a bad thing for him.

The key is, his qualifying offer is 3.35M. He can't get less than that. So he doesn't have much incentive to settle for a 2 year deal that isn't much more than that when he can use his leverage to try to either push for a long term deal, or go to arbitration where he might be awarded significantly more than what the Senators are offering with the 3.35M QO safety night.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think and hope that Ceci signs a 5 or 6 year deal around or a little less than 5 AAV. He is a top 4 guy and that term covers both RFA and UFA years. At that AAV if we have to move him down the line then we move him. He'll be movable at that price.

We are also going to need a bump in our internal budget. I know the TSN local deal we have increases year over year, I'm not sure though whether the money gets better with the big Rogers deal. But with the cap going up we need another 3 or 4 M added to the internal budget.

Reactions: CommonSens

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If we're tanking, I don't understand why he wasn't on the block at the deadline.

Because only some "fans" are on board with tanking, and no one connected to the Ottawa Senators are going to tank for any reason ............ tanking is just a dumb thing some "fans" think will lead to a Stanley cup, some day.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Because only some "fans" are on board with tanking, and no one connected to the Ottawa Senators are going to tank for any reason ............ tanking is just a dumb thing some "fans" think will lead to a Stanley cup, some day.

Lol you are kidding right ?

It's documented that multiple teams have actively tanked over the years.

Including Ottawa in 1992.

Simmer has admitted Washington tanked to get OV.

Etc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->