Ceci long Term or Bridge Deal??

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I think ,we should give him along term deal .He has all the tools ,to be a solid top 4 guy for us for a long time .Unlike the failures we have seen in the past ,Cowen and Wier .I dont see a major hole in his game .Skating ,vision ,size,puck skills are all there .Maybe iam overselling him but i do think he is worth the gamble ,interested to see what others think

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Leafs got Reiliey 6years 30 million

I'd give Ceci 6yrs 22-24 million

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
2-3 year bridge. Always go for a bridge deal (unless you have a superstar talent). You want to keep the kids hungry and focused.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
2-3 year bridge. Always go for a bridge deal (unless you have a superstar talent). You want to keep the kids hungry and focused.
Thats a good point ,but iam also a bit afraid of him actually being better than we think he is .Glad iam not the one that has to decide:laugh:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
This is where im at with him too
I want to see him get the chance to have an expanded role on the PP ,we need a good 2nd unit .Just to change up the look ,it cant always be EK as the goto guy all the time it makes us far too predictable

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Can we go 4 years with him and still have RFa years left??If so then that would probably be the best route:handclap:

Sorry, my mistake, no we can't.

3 years max.

For some reason I was thinking this is his 2nd pro-season, it's actually his third.

So he would be UFA with 7 pro-years experience. 3 year max for a bridge deal.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Thats a good point ,but iam also a bit afraid of him actually being better than we think he is .Glad iam not the one that has to decide:laugh:

Well.....we do have one sweet mitigating factor with Ceci. No matter how good he turns out, he will always max out on the 2nd pairing. Being on second pairing behind Karlsson automatically means less minutes, less PP time, less points.

I don't think we have to worry about Ceci breaking any offensive records or anything of that sort, which would drive up his salary. ;)

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I'd do the 2-3 year deal so the next contract is still under RFA.
It'll be a little more expensive on the next deal, but not so much as it would be having to pay his next contract as UFA.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Sorry, my mistake, no we can't.

3 years max.

For some reason I was thinking this is his 2nd pro-season, it's actually his third.

So he would be UFA with 7 pro-years experience. 3 year max for a bridge deal.
Damn ,4 years would have been perfect .Doesnt matter ,as long as we keep him .Iam very interested in how his growth will continue

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Well.....we do have one sweet mitigating factor with Ceci. No matter how good he turns out, he will always max out on the 2nd pairing. Being on second pairing behind Karlsson automatically means less minutes, less PP time, less points.

I don't think we have to worry about Ceci breaking any offensive records or anything of that sort, which would drive up his salary. ;)
This all true ,but those 10 goals of his are impressive .I hope we can build a solid 2nd pp unit around him next season ,i think there is some untapped potential there .Not to mention it should help us ice a much better PP with 2 solid units

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So Reilly just got 6 years at 5 mil per (great deal for the leafs btw).

I'd argue that caps Ceci at 4 mil per max, and we might be able to get him to come in a little lower as we're comparing a top pair anchor to a 2nd pair complimentary piece (in their current roles). Reilly also is seen to have more potential too.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Sign him up for that Cowen 8 year offer :sarcasm:

I don't think we need to worry about Ceci taking it easy after getting a long term deal, but I'm fine with a bridge too.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
If you go 3 years he'll be up the same year as Karlsson and Mehtot, so that's something to consider.

I'd go long term to save money for Karlsson's next contract. If it's a bridge deal, should be 2 years. Problem with the bridge deal is he'll probably be making 5-6M on the next deal.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
He's not gonna get as much as Rielly on a 6 year term. Rielly is the Leafs top defender right now.

My prediction would probably be a 3 year deal with a backloaded 2.75 AAV. That sounds low, but last year I was high on all my RFA predictions for the Senators so I am trying to play it safe.....they got Z/Pageau/Stone/and through arb Hoffman+Chiasson all down to really cheap deals.

If it is a bridge contract, it'll be 3 years long so that it staggers with Zibanejad, and Stone. A 3 year deal means Ceci's big contract is signed a year after Stone's is.

With a 2.75 AAV, it can be staggered to help the Senators supposed budget while also giving Ceci a nice final year which will give him a big qualifying offer. 2/2.25/4.

The downside to that, is that when his contract is up, Ceci probably commands 6M-7M if he proves to be a stable number 3 RHD. So if the Sens are confident in Ceci, and it works within their budget, locking him down 6-8 years at 4M-5M might end up saving them millions in the backend of the deal. After Greening and Cowen busting, the Senators seem very risk adverse, but we'll see what happens now that there is a new man in charge.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Long term is better for us and better for his stability.

Bridge deal maximizes his earning potential.

I think he'll get a 5 or 6 year deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->