Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
We've already got two, and Carlsson and Gavrikov are both looking good.

Might as well include Gavrikov, and say 3. Other than come over and sign a contract, I'm not sure what more there is for him to "prove". He is 1 of the best defenseman on the best (or at very least one of the best) team(s) not in the NHL. Same can be said for him in relation to how good of a "hockey country" Russia is, and where Gavikov stands on the hypothetical 'Russian Defenseman Depth Chart'.

They (their skills) shouldn't even be in the "same conversation" other than that they are both CBJ defensive prospects. They are actually quite similar in their "style" of play, but look at what Gavrikov has done/proven on the "club" level and at the International level.

I know he still needs to be signed, but there has been zero indication that he WONT sign, and the CBJ already expressed public interest in the past, and if I believe correctly, they expected that he WOULD sign, at the worst, in the near future.

I fully expect the Gavrikov and Davidsson picks (and them as players) at the very least, to be seen just as good as Nutivaara. Some of the better "late round" picks in the entire league in recent memory. On just an "asset" level its very good for the organization. Throw in the Dubois over Puljujarvi and it looks like the "Euro GM" + "Euro head scout" thing is working out.

Carlsson isn't on the same level of ANY of these guys. We should attempt to "capitalize" on where he was drafted, IMO, and sell when (I believe) his value is the "highest". In my limited viewing, he doesn't have "it". As they say, some guys' games "translate" to the NHL and others don't.

Fire Jarmo

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Might as well include Gavrikov, and say 3. Other than come over and sign a contract, I'm not sure what more there is for him to "prove".

Well...

Carlsson isn't on the same level of ANY of these guys. We should attempt to "capitalize" on where he was drafted, IMO, and sell when (I believe) his value is the "highest". In my limited viewing, he doesn't have "it". As they say, some guys' games "translate" to the NHL and others don't.

I wouldn't be so quick to write off or anoint either of them, myself.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Well...

I wouldn't be so quick to write off or anoint either of them, myself.

You left off the rest of paragraph 1, which explains quite simply, why.

.... He is 1 of the best defenseman on the best (or at very least one of the best) team(s) not in the NHL. Same can be said for him in relation to how good of a "hockey country" Russia is, and where Gavikov stands on the hypothetical 'Russian Defenseman Depth Chart'....

-ALSO-

"They are actually quite similar in their "style" of play, but look at what Gavrikov has done/proven on the "club" level and at the International level."

KHL/SKA and Olympics shouldn't be downplayed. IIHF 'World Championships" should be.

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
KHL/SKA and Olympics shouldn't be downplayed. IIHF 'World Championships" should be.

You are forgetting some brother bus when you downplay the IIHF World Championship which is that the best minds in hockey often coach there hence the quality of play is usually far above the conservative communist league NHL. Finland in example has around ten NHL aids this spring and more names than in example the Blue Jackets have on their NHL roster. KHL then is a domestic league which you should also keep in mind although do not buy the anti-Russian propaganda.

As Jukka Koivu says on whether you are ready for the NHL or not: "play your first world championship's first". Gavrikov has done very well and I do not get why he should come over to play sixth pair when he had the opportunity for big minutes and victories. You are not a KHL champion yet, Gavrikov. It is the same with Korpisalo and Merzlikins, what do they get for opening the hatch to Bobrovski who will get a huge deal to further cement his place.

Tero Lehterä, the head coach of Miracle of the East commented on Veeti Vainio that he has Erik Karlsson skating.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

thanks for posting that. Was pretty disappointed in Sherwood considering it was an overage season but atleast he stepped up in the playoffs and did what he does best which is score goals. May still become a bottom 6 guy one day

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I keep forgetting about him. Was thinking Werenski, Carlsson, Vainio, Gavrikov, Nutivaara. We've already got two, and Carlsson and Gavrikov are both looking good.

If you are listing defense men, Peeke should be ready in another year or two.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Good to see

"Hockey's changing and it is at such a fast pace now," Bellemare said. "[Texier] has got this easy glide that is giving him an extra half-second to make a play all the time, he's got great vision and he's a complete player with a little bit of good teaching, which he got, I think, by going to Finland. It's going to be a tougher game here [the NHL] than what he is used (to).
"I'm not worried. He's a young guy and he's going to have to build a little bit, but I think Columbus is the right organization for him. If he is not here fast, he will be here a little bit later. I have no doubt in my mind that this kid is going the next French big thing."

Still think he gets another season in Finland before coming over to really attempt to steal a spot. And even then he'll probably end up in the AHL for a season or two. We really need to let this kid fully develop until he's too good for the AHL or overseas.

Reactions: Xoggz22 and CBJSTH

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Keep in mind Textier doesn't turn 19 until September. He's the third youngest player at the IIHF World Championship and the two players younger than him are eligible for the 2018 draft. He's going to take some extra time. But imagine if a 2018 prospect was doing what he did in Finland.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

LVGA

Apr 29, 2018
He's still an emotional guy and can step over the line at times, but it doesn't affect his game as it used to.

That's what i meant. :laugh:

BTW another great performance today. Big win against Germany, 33 blocked shots and 97,06% save percentage!

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Yo Columbus fans, I'm from Kitchener and have season tickets to the Rangers, was wondering how you guys rate Kole Sherwood??

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Yo Columbus fans, I'm from Kitchener and have season tickets to the Rangers, was wondering how you guys rate Kole Sherwood??

Well since you're the 1 with season tickets to the Rangers, how bout you tell us how you "rate" Sherwood...

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Well since you're the 1 with season tickets to the Rangers, how bout you tell us how you "rate" Sherwood...

I would say he is on route to being a third or fourth line guy, he has a good mix of all the skills and a killer instinct that a lot of guys. To me he was the best Ranger in the playoffs and was better than most top players we came up against on other teams.

I guess my question should have been more; within the fan base what do you expect from him in the future for the franchise.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I would say he is on route to being a third or fourth line guy, he has a good mix of all the skills and a killer instinct that a lot of guys. To me he was the best Ranger in the playoffs and was better than most top players we came up against on other teams.

I guess my question should have been more; within the fan base what do you expect from him in the future for the franchise.

I think most people here are kind of hesitant about his NHL potential/likelihood. Personally, I was a bit higher on him than some others here after his 2016-2017 season with Flint. But, after his injury in fall camp (high ankle sprain?), being sent back to the OHL, and not scoring as much to start the season... There was little to no talk about him on here at all. Glad he picked up the pace come the playoffs, but there are still quite a bit of question marks. Like you said, could be a 3rd/4th line guy, which I'm sure a lot of people would be happy with.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
I suppose he may have 2nd line max potential because he seems to have a good shot and some scoring instincts. If he makes it to the NHL, however, I'd expect him to be a third liner because I doubt he turns into a player who produces at a top 6 rate. Third liners these days seem to be the guys who can provide secondary scoring, but may not be your defensive stalwarts. I don't know enough about his defensive play to say whether or not he can simply make it in the NHL based on his play in his own zone.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

He'll be an AHL guy who might get a cup of coffee in the NHL.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
'Absolutely freaking out!': Blue Jackets prospect Carson...

Carson Meyer hopes to transfer from Redhawks to Buckeyes:

He had a tapeworm last year leading to many many issues because it was undiagnosed....until...

“I was going to the bathroom, just like normal,” Meyer said. “And it came out.”

It was a 25-inch tapeworm — the head, the neck and all of the segments, about 50 of them. It was orange. Meyer almost fainted.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
'Absolutely freaking out!': Blue Jackets prospect Carson...

Carson Meyer transferring from Redhawks to Buckeyes:

He had a tapeworm last year leading to many many issues because it was undiagnosed....until...

“I was going to the bathroom, just like normal,” Meyer said. “And it came out.”

It was a 25-inch tapeworm — the head, the neck and all of the segments, about 50 of them. It was orange. Meyer almost fainted.
this is just the thing to be reading when you're home sick due to stomach problems :scared:

Reactions: Xoggz22
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad