Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] Markus Nutivaara signs extension (4 years, $2.7M AAV)

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I know its' about that but it's easy to point out Aho when Kekalainen gets called the perfect Finnish drafter.
He isn’t the perfect Finnish drafter. Jarmo himself says that he is overly critical of Finnish players. That’s why he hasn’t drafted very many.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
He isn’t the perfect Finnish drafter. Jarmo himself says that he is overly critical of Finnish players. That’s why he hasn’t drafted very many.

He hasn't drafted that many Finnish players because Kekäläinen's scouting days and NHL grand master career has mostly taken place during the historical downfall of Finnish team sports in terms of individuals produced. There was maybe only S. Koivu and T. Rask to take for a very long time and they weren't immediately available at St. Louis's reach without trades.

This period of unprecedented recession is important to keep in mind so we do not fall into this rather nationalist view of golden ages taking place before and after but understand that Finland has had the resources to produce first round picks for a long time now and this is only a period of return to normal, not to exceptional. Since for example the WJC gold glimmer fueled hype, brought by meidän peli, taught by Karri Kivi's and Jukka Jalonen's coaching teams. We Finns, of west and east, of north and south and the others air directions, usually only unite when pulling towards home. The rather poor information conditions between Americas and Afroeurasia then allow only for the less reasoned views to be broadcasted and reproduced in the main draft media in discussions which rarely highlight all sides of the individual coin.

Nutivaara's success was for example registered by a Finnish poster in HFboards who did regular scouting analysis of the Finns. Hopefully he nowadays does it for a living over someone who was given the position for his friendship with the higher-ups but this is it how it goes. Ice hockey isn't a meritocracy, nor is the draft which is not surrounded by enough questions (why does he not speak English? Why he has not taken a leading role in his club team?) to begin with. Even the great Jarmo Kekäläinen fails to question himself, the play and his overflowing belief in culture of work.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
People seem to forget that Ville Siren runs the Jackets draft, not Jarmo.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
So Jarmo has 0 say? He's the guy they trust most but if JK says we take this guy they go that route.

I didn't say that, now did I?

Jarmo defers all picks to his scouts. He has said this many times. Yeah, I'm sure he dips his hand in the process and his insight is in there. But if Siren says X then they likely pick X. Of course Jarmo has overruling power (MacLean used his to pick Brule over Kopitar), but as far as we know that hasn't happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad