OT: CBJ Lounge XXI (All Non-Sports, Non-Political Talk Here)

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Pulling for you mikeyp24. Hope Viqsi's suggestion works. It's a drag trying to follow a game, either on a GDT, or on an app that isn't live video!

I remember as a kid. the only way in CMH to get any NHL news, was my dad's Sports Illustrated mags. And that was a crap shoot.

Reactions: mikeyp24

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Hey guys I'm going into surgery for a fusion of the L4/L5 area of my back in about 4 hrs and I don't know if the game will be in their Tv's or not so I'm relying on you guys to be active in the GTD so I can get my fix. I'll be in the hospital minimum until Saturday mid day it will all depend on how the scar looks and if I go potty both 1 and 2 haha.

Side note this is procedure #11 in the past 10ish years I've been put under anesthesia for. I had surgery 3 days before my 19th birthday because my appendix almost burst and now this is back surgery #3 (2nd this year). Hopefully this is the last one in a while.

I am however taking bets on how long it takes counting backwards from 10 for me to go under. It's a tradition I started after my 3rd surgery. Furthest I ever made it was 7 seconds (counting from 10 to 3 backwards). I'm guessing 6 seconds (passing out on 4) but normally I'm out by 7 haha.
Hope all goes well and remember that in this case a quick count out is a good thing. Good luck!

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Hey guys I'm going into surgery for a fusion of the L4/L5 area of my back in about 4 hrs and I don't know if the game will be in their Tv's or not so I'm relying on you guys to be active in the GTD so I can get my fix. I'll be in the hospital minimum until Saturday mid day it will all depend on how the scar looks and if I go potty both 1 and 2 haha.

Side note this is procedure #11 in the past 10ish years I've been put under anesthesia for. I had surgery 3 days before my 19th birthday because my appendix almost burst and now this is back surgery #3 (2nd this year). Hopefully this is the last one in a while.

I am however taking bets on how long it takes counting backwards from 10 for me to go under. It's a tradition I started after my 3rd surgery. Furthest I ever made it was 7 seconds (counting from 10 to 3 backwards). I'm guessing 6 seconds (passing out on 4) but normally I'm out by 7 haha.
Don't worry, we got your back...

Good luck.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Best wishes for a good outcome, mikey. Will make sure my GDT posts are really long in your honor.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Good luck mikeyp24. Had my L4/5 fixed in the early 90's, took 2 surgeries but no fusions. Got lucky and things have been good ever since. Hoping the same for you. Back injuries are no joke and if you never had any you wouldn't understand how it affects every inch of your body and your life activities in general. Best wishes in your recovery.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Now Columbus loses The Andersons, which is closing all retail stores.

The Andersons to close all retail stores

I have no idea where I'll go for a good beer and wine selection, as well as a replacement for their House of Meats. Anyone have recommendations? I hear Gentile's in Grandview has a good beer/wine selection. Butcher?
The Market in Italian Village has a pretty good beer/wine selection, as does Lucky's Market. Lucky's also has the best roast beef and pastrami cold cuts in the city as far as I'm concerned. Weiland's has an incredible liquor department, but haven't scoped out their beer/wine selection.

Definitely go to Carfagna's for all of your butcher needs.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
The Market in Italian Village has a pretty good beer/wine selection, as does Lucky's Market. Lucky's also has the best roast beef and pastrami cold cuts in the city as far as I'm concerned. Weiland's has an incredible liquor department, but haven't scoped out their beer/wine selection.

Definitely go to Carfagna's for all of your butcher needs.

Also, The Butcher and Grocer in Grandview Heights is a good spot as well. Very helpful and friendly

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Sooo... I have a beautiful lakeview apartment in NC. It was almost 70 today. And I miss Ohio and am job hunting back home. I’m not cut out to be 8 hours from my family and friends. There’s problems at work too. My life is a mess right now. Word to the wise: maybe don’t make a huge life decision a few months after a major head trauma (how I ended up down here in the first place). Certainly seemed like a good idea at the time. Until I find something going to buckle down and be the best damn office manager I can be but man do I want to be back north.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Sooo... I have a beautiful lakeview apartment in NC. It was almost 70 today. And I miss Ohio and am job hunting back home. I’m not cut out to be 8 hours from my family and friends. There’s problems at work too. My life is a mess right now. Word to the wise: maybe don’t make a huge life decision a few months after a major head trauma (how I ended up down here in the first place). Certainly seemed like a good idea at the time. Until I find something going to buckle down and be the best damn office manager I can be but man do I want to be back north.
Yeesh. Hope things improve soon.

Reactions: Socks

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Thanks. I’m sure they will. Frustrated at the moment. But things can only get better. I just never thought I’d miss Ohio lol.

I relocated to Columbus from Detroit (4 hours, not 8) for my job. For the first couple years I felt exactly the same things. I buried myself in work and tried to forget about it. Then I decided to do something productive for myself. Quit working as much, met some people, found some hobbies, joined a gym, etc. Almost 20 years later I'm still here. I quit the job I moved here for and I'm working somewhere else. I'm happy with the decisions I made. I still miss my family and friends and as the years pass you realize how much you miss being away. So I make it point to call more, to text, to face time and to visit more often. But sometimes that is not enough and there may come a time where your heart leads you back. Either way I wish you the best in whatever decisions you make.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
I relocated to Columbus from Detroit (4 hours, not 8) for my job. For the first couple years I felt exactly the same things. I buried myself in work and tried to forget about it. Then I decided to do something productive for myself. Quit working as much, met some people, found some hobbies, joined a gym, etc. Almost 20 years later I'm still here. I quit the job I moved here for and I'm working somewhere else. I'm happy with the decisions I made. I still miss my family and friends and as the years pass you realize how much you miss being away. So I make it point to call more, to text, to face time and to visit more often. But sometimes that is not enough and there may come a time where your heart leads you back. Either way I wish you the best in whatever decisions you make.
I absolutely know part of my problem is I haven’t made a big enough effort to engage myself in the community down here and that’s 100% on me. But telling myself to go do something and actually doing it are two entirely different animals I find. It’s just hard starting over by myself at 36.

Anyway thanks for the kind words :)

Good lord it took me way too long to find a simple smilie emoji just now.

Reactions: Byrral

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I absolutely know part of my problem is I haven’t made a big enough effort to engage myself in the community down here and that’s 100% on me. But telling myself to go do something and actually doing it are two entirely different animals I find. It’s just hard starting over by myself at 36.

Anyway thanks for the kind words :)

Good lord it took me way too long to find a simple smilie emoji just now.

Best of luck in your job search and possibly returning back home... I'm 27, but I've started to learn a little more about what I want out of life the last couple years.. After college, I figured I would just move across the country/different states to wherever I landed a job offer, work my butt off, be good at my job, and possibly look at master's degree. Life had a different path for me-I lived near to home, I sucked at my jobs for the next 1.5 years out of college in my career field. I eventually settled into my 2nd job within the same company after they had to threaten to let me go due to my struggles.. Once, I settled in.. I remained as low key as possible, tried to do the status quo for a while. But, I eventually made friends at work with an ever-changing staff and became a normal employee that somehow had slight tenure. Realized at that time, I didn't mind living at home, then eventually 20 minutes from my parents, dating a co-worker's sister, going to Blue Jacket's games and having friends/family that lived within an hour from me. Realized that maybe this was the path for me...

I've since settled in at work a bit more. Ended up getting about 6 dollars an hour in pay-raises this year, taking a more critical role at work that has "multiple hats" and a slight supervisory role at times in a slightly different position. But, I like living nearby family. When my car breaks down- My parents are a phone call and 30 minutes away from lending me their car so I can make it to work when work needs me. I can go to about 15-20 Blue Jacket's games. Plus, it's nice this time of the year that I can go home to see family on a random day of the week since I have to work almost every major holiday/and work is too short staffed for me to take a vacation day.

I also understand the difficulty in fitting in to a community. I know literally none of my apartment neighbors, maybe 5 total people in my town besides my fellow co-workers and they have jobs at the gas station, grocery store. It doesn't help that I work night shift full time, live in a small community with 2 dinky gas stations, a dollar general, a subway, a dinky grocery store, and 1 church. Plus, it takes me a while to become comfortable/socially out going.

Reactions: Socks

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Best of luck in your job search and possibly returning back home... I'm 27, but I've started to learn a little more about what I want out of life the last couple years.. After college, I figured I would just move across the country/different states to wherever I landed a job offer, work my butt off, be good at my job, and possibly look at master's degree. Life had a different path for me-I lived near to home, I sucked at my jobs for the next 1.5 years out of college in my career field. I eventually settled into my 2nd job within the same company after they had to threaten to let me go due to my struggles.. Once, I settled in.. I remained as low key as possible, tried to do the status quo for a while. But, I eventually made friends at work with an ever-changing staff and became a normal employee that somehow had slight tenure. Realized at that time, I didn't mind living at home, then eventually 20 minutes from my parents, dating a co-worker's sister, going to Blue Jacket's games and having friends/family that lived within an hour from me. Realized that maybe this was the path for me...

I've since settled in at work a bit more. Ended up getting about 6 dollars an hour in pay-raises this year, taking a more critical role at work that has "multiple hats" and a slight supervisory role at times in a slightly different position. But, I like living nearby family. When my car breaks down- My parents are a phone call and 30 minutes away from lending me their car so I can make it to work when work needs me. I can go to about 15-20 Blue Jacket's games. Plus, it's nice this time of the year that I can go home to see family on a random day of the week since I have to work almost every major holiday/and work is too short staffed for me to take a vacation day.

I also understand the difficulty in fitting in to a community. I know literally none of my apartment neighbors, maybe 5 total people in my town besides my fellow co-workers and they have jobs at the gas station, grocery store. It doesn't help that I work night shift full time, live in a small community with 2 dinky gas stations, a dollar general, a subway, a dinky grocery store, and 1 church. Plus, it takes me a while to become comfortable/socially out going.
I thought I’d be ok being so far away from my family and friends. I was coming to work with friends of my parents and their daughter, so I had sort of a pre-built support system. But unfortunately I’m just not really the outgoing type of person so aside from these folks I haven’t met too many other people. None that I’d really call friends of my own. So I go to work and then come home. Weekends I just hang out and watch tv or whatever. Whereas at home I was always getting together with friends or family. And as I said I fully realize I’ve shot myself in the foot by not going out to meet anybody and now I’m complaining about it lol. But I’d just rather go back home.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Fine people of this board: I have seen talk of concussions on here from several of you. I, too, suffered a concussion last night. I slipped on the ice while walking my dog and I can't remember a good portion of my day. Anything I should watch out for? I went to the ER and everything checked out fine.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Fine people of this board: I have seen talk of concussions on here from several of you. I, too, suffered a concussion last night. I slipped on the ice while walking my dog and I can't remember a good portion of my day. Anything I should watch out for? I went to the ER and everything checked out fine.

Stay off of your computer (if possible) for the next week, go rest and take it easy. Head injuries aren't fun - I've had 4 concussions myself - let yourself recover properly.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Best of luck to you. Hope that you don't have any lingering symptoms.

Like any other potentially serious medical issue, keep on top of it and don't hesitate to get medical help if you feel that you need it.

Reactions: Viqsi

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Unfortunately there isn't a lot you can do for a concussion. As mentioned, try to stay off the computer/phone as much as possible. I'd also say not to exert yourself hard and to try and avoid bright lights as much as you can. Fluorescent lights are terrible when dealing with a concussion. Good luck, head injuries are awful.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
The biggest issue is that they want a nearby international airport. But, hey, if the incentives they offer can beat everyone else...

dumb.gif

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Stay off of your computer (if possible) for the next week, go rest and take it easy. Head injuries aren't fun - I've had 4 concussions myself - let yourself recover properly.

Best of luck to you. Hope that you don't have any lingering symptoms.

Like any other potentially serious medical issue, keep on top of it and don't hesitate to get medical help if you feel that you need it.

Unfortunately there isn't a lot you can do for a concussion. As mentioned, try to stay off the computer/phone as much as possible. I'd also say not to exert yourself hard and to try and avoid bright lights as much as you can. Fluorescent lights are terrible when dealing with a concussion. Good luck, head injuries are awful.

Also, thank you for all this advice. I am a week removed now and I feel almost 100%. I started back at work on Wednesday, and as mentioned, the lights were killer. I am just waiting for this snow and ice to melt and I won't have to watch every step I make.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->