Waived: [CBJ] F Eric Robinson waived by the Blue Jackets (cleared)

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
With Robinson going on waivers, if he clears I wonder if there could be a trade around him & Kubalik.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Doubt any team would be willing to pickup a 4th liner at a $1.6mil cap hit.

Eric Robinson isn’t anything special in his own zone, Robinson also doesn’t play the power play and isn’t any good as a penalty killer either.

I suspect Robinson will clear and be assigned to Cleveland of the AHL.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Got a bunch of point on suboptimal rosters. Reminds me of a heavy version of Andrighetto.

Can play middle 6, but will be pushed down as better options come up.

On the upside, his size, speed and IQ may help keep him in the NHL, but he might need to learn the rough side of hockey to cement it.

Reactions: MAHJ71

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think waiving him is a bit of an overreaction to a soft first game. Robinson was tilting the ice (by 4th line standards) a couple years ago. Not very effective last year but still better than the other 4th liners on an awful team. Still scored a decent amount. He wasn't even scratched before this. Went from every game player to waived.

The club just has too many bodies and they don't want to waive a younger player. Personally I'd sooner waive Foudy, Robinson is just a much better forechecker. Hopefully Robby comes back hungry and plays with more of an edge.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
A Princeton guy. Would have loved seeing the Devils claim him.

Speed would fit right in while he adds a bit of hardness missing from the club.

Could he fit with Torts and the Flyers?

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Because Ottawa would then clear just over $2mil in cap, thereby being able to fit Pinto, while also gaining an adequate depth winger who can be called up if a player goes on LTIR.
This is a great move for Ottawa but the CBJ are trying to open up lineup spots for other players thus the waiving Robinson. A one for one trade for Kubalik doesn't solve the "problem" they are trying to eliminate. Robby either gets claimed or he plays in Cleveland and is an experienced injury callup away. I would say the CBJ are more likely to move a defenseman.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Eric Robinson isn’t anything special in his own zone, Robinson also doesn’t play the power play and isn’t any good as a penalty killer either.

You’re right on all counts except the PK. He’s actually a pretty effective PK guy, last year notwithstanding.

Reactions: majormajor

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

To be fair, he's not a 4th liner either. He's a 13th forward, even on the CBJ. However, he does (or did) penalty kill. He has good wheels but no hands and doesn't offer much in other areas of the game. He's not even a poor man's Jason Chimera.

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
To be fair, he's not a 4th liner either. He's a 13th forward, even on the CBJ. However, he does (or did) penalty kill. He has good wheels but no hands and doesn't offer much in other areas of the game. He's not even a poor man's Jason Chimera.

This is the first time he's been scratched. He's been "not a 4th liner" for all of 1 game now.

For all the talk about the limitations in Robinson's game, he's a better forechecker and scores more than Olivier and Foudy. He had the best on-ice results on the team for a couple years. Hands of stone haven't stopped him from scoring a good number of goals by 4th line standards. He's just not as "new" as those other guys and there's a double standard at work.

Reactions: Viqsi

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
They probably just didnt want to lose anyone and figured the guy with the 1.6mil contract was the safest bet. Vincent may not like him for his style or based off what he saw last year in the role that line was forced to play or just simply felt this was the safest route and wakes Robinson up a bit. It would be cool to see that guy pissed off for a change

Reactions: majormajor

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
This is the first time he's been scratched. He's been "not a 4th liner" for all of 1 game now.

For all the talk about the limitations in Robinson's game, he's a better forechecker and scores more than Olivier and Foudy. He had the best on-ice results on the team for a couple years. Hands of stone haven't stopped him from scoring a good number of goals by 4th line standards. He's just not as "new" as those other guys and there's a double standard at work.
We can have differing opinions. I don't see him as any more than an extra forward. He's had 7 years and been nothing more than a 4th liner. Olivier is not a comparable as their game is different but Olivier is effective on the forecheck and plays a heavier game. Scores less but I prefer his game to Robinson. Do you really think Robinson gets 7 years on a good team as one of the top 12? I don't and if we're going that direction, why not see if Foudy or someone else can play in the NHL. He's a 13th forward in my book and while officially only 1 game, that's my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad