Proposal: CBJ/EDM (contingent on no Lucic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
With the Tyutin buy-out today, the Blue Jackets now have Ryan Murray, David Savard and Seth Jones as their defensemen who must be protected in next seasons expansion draft. And with a significant number of forwards that will require protection perhaps this deal could make sense from both a personnel and salary cap POV...

:cbj
LW Benoit Pouliot ($4.0m/3y)
D Mark Fayne ($3.6m/2y)

:edmonton
LW Scott Hartnell ($4.75m/3y) (NMC)
D Jack Johnson ($4.35m/2y)

Obviously this deal would only make sense for the Oilers if they didn't acquire Lucic as Hartnell's NMC would force them to expose a player far more valuable to them.

Thoughts?

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Yuck. Pouliot is the best player in the deal and Johnson is not what we're looking for. We NEED a right handed defenseman who can play on the PP. Largely because our best forwards (McD, Drai, RNH) all play the right side as set up guys on the PP.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I want no part in Jack "dumb as rocks" Mutha-Frocking Johnson. I rather play Nurse if it comes to that.... and I'm not a big fan of Darnell.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yuck. Pouliot is the best player in the deal and Johnson is not what we're looking for. We NEED a right handed defenseman who can play on the PP. Largely because our best forwards (McD, Drai, RNH) all play the right side as set up guys on the PP.

Scott Hartnell scored 50 points last year and 60 the previous year. And if necessary, Andrej Sekera is capable of playing on his offside. Johnson played 24 minutes a night last season and would be a PPQB option on the cheap.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
LHD with minimal offense ( how did the wheels fall off last season?).. not really what Oilers need.

Also, would Hartnell still have a NMC if he gets moved to another team? I thought that a move voids it.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Bad for us.

We like JJ on second pair, a deal could be made for Hartnell though

Of course a deal could be made for Hartnell. Jarmo would give him away for free if he could. That NMC is going to cost you a good player if you can't get rid of it.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yuck. Pouliot is the best player in the deal

No way. Absolutely no way. Not by a long shot. Most valuable through the end of his contract, perhaps, but Hartnell has him beat in just about every measurable way right now and likely in the near future. It's the end of his contract (and the NMC) that's a concern, and at the rate he's been going that's becoming less and less of a sure issue. :)

As to the OP... not really interested. Pouliot for Hartnell is obviously of some interest because of the NMC issues alone, but JJ for Fayne? Too big of a gap, and the cap savings isn't enough to cover it. Neat idea, tho.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
This deal is junk for Cbus. Don't see anything offered that would have them doing this deal. And the players they are giving aren't the best but what's coming back is just a downgrade.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
This trade is pure garbage for the jackets. If we move Hartnell it's not going to be for a roster guy it's to clear room for our young guys. At worst a 1 year deal.

JMFJ is not getting moved for this trash. The guy is an excellent 2nd pair guy. He's been rode as a 1 here for so long but he is perfect to 2nd pairing D. No reason to trade to solid pieces for stuff we don't need...

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The real dealbreaker for Columbus is that we don't even know if Fayne would make the team. Compare that to a second pair D like JJ and it's too much of a distance. I would love Pouliot on the team, but also like Hartnell, so :dunno:

Of course a deal could be made for Hartnell. Jarmo would give him away for free if he could. That NMC is going to cost you a good player if you can't get rid of it.

Hartnell would probably waive. He's done it before.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Oilers don't need LHD.

I wish people would look at that FACT before proposing anything. Other than that I'm a fan of Hartnell on the Oilers. And I don't necessarily think Lucic coming on board is the reason we wouldn't take Hartnell.

Lucic + Hartnell + Maroon + Kassian ... Oilers might go from the softest group of forwards to the toughest in one swell swoop.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Oilers don't need LHD.

I wish people would look at that FACT before proposing anything. Other than that I'm a fan of Hartnell on the Oilers. And I don't necessarily think Lucic coming on board is the reason we wouldn't take Hartnell.

Lucic + Hartnell + Maroon + Kassian ... Oilers might go from the softest group of forwards to the toughest in one swell swoop.

I'm an Oilers fan. I'm very aware of what Edmonton's needs are. And the only FACT that matters is that a good RHD just cost Edmonton Taylor freaking Hall.

This is a deal with minimal cost that helps Columbus get all their valued players under the security blanket next summer.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
I like it in general, but whether or not Hartnell's NMC is waived or still valid come expansion affects the overall value. Plus how much from the Oil to turn JJ into David Savard?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It's already bad for CBJ so you'd probably have to tear the whole thing down and start over.

Realistically Hartnell is going nowhere. His contract even without the no-move is close to an albatross. Sure he's a productive player now, but how long will he keep that up for? The trade isn't about straight up player value. It's based on the necessity for the Columbus Blue Jacks to get out from under one of the NMCs in preparation for the expansion draft.

Currently without this trade, Jack Johnson is exposed to Las Vegas and Hartnell's forced protection potentially leaves one of Atkinson or Wennberg under the knife.

No its not good for Columbus. But I can assure you, any trade moving Hartnell elsewhere is not going to be good for Columbus.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad