CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part XI

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Obviously would have preferred the win but holding TFC scoreless is a big deal for sure.
I tried watching. Really I did. But from 20 minutes in, I could see the final result would be a scoreless tie.

I know that billions and billions of people world-wide get excited over this game. But a playoff game that ends 0-0 (and was the goal of one of the teams to end that way) just doesn't do it for me.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I tried watching. Really I did. But from 20 minutes in, I could see the final result would be a scoreless tie.

I know that billions and billions of people world-wide get excited over this game. But a playoff game that ends 0-0 (and was the goal of one of the teams to end that way) just doesn't do it for me.

It was a boring game. You've seen this any number of times in other sports, often in high-pressure situations, where both teams are "playing not to lose."

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
It was a boring game. You've seen this any number of times in other sports, often in high-pressure situations, where both teams are "playing not to lose."
I honestly didn't think Columbus was playing not to lose. I think Toronto is just so good defensively that they did a good job of shutting us down.

On the road, missing their two best players, they decided to strangle the life out of the game, and count on their quality to win the series on their home field. They knew that, really, the only result that was truly going to hurt them was a multiple-goal Columbus win. So they employed the strategy that most likely was going to prevent that from happening. It's exactly what I would have done.

Not exciting, but effective.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
This Auburn-Alabama presumed result is bad for Ohio State, right?

Depends. I was messing around with the the 538 calculator earlier, and our chances were best if Alabama won out.

2017 College Football Predictions

If Clemson, Auburn, Oklahoma, and OSU win out, it seems like the choice is between Alabama and Ohio State for the final spot. If you sub Georgia in for Auburn, it's probably the same question.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Always nice beating TTUN. f*** them.

Also f*** Alabama for not winning the one time I cheer for them. Now OSU is out of the CFP unless Oklahoma loses and we crush Wisconsin.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
My prediction of what will come out Tuesday:

1. Clemson 2. Oklahoma 3. Wisconsin 4. Alabama 5. Auburn 6. Miami 7. Georgia 8. Ohio State

Winner of Clemson/Miami is in.

Oklahoma is in if they beat TCU.

Wisconsin is in if they beat OSU

Alabama is OUT if Auburn wins, and in if Georgia wins (IMO)

Ohio State's only chance is if they beat Wisconsin (and big), Clemson wins, Oklahoma loses, and Georgia wins. That eliminates Auburn, and weakens Alabama's resume. Georgia would then move into a playoff spot as a lock. Oklahoma would move out, and a convincing win over Wisconsin would have to make the committee decide between two loss OSU with a championship or 1 loss Alabama with no championship, a weak schedule, and no high quality wins for the 3 or 4 seed.

1. Clemson 2. Georgia 3. Alabama 4. Ohio State

OR if Oklahoma wins, same other stuff happens, the committee must decide on Ohio State or Alabama for one spot. This is unlikely to go OSU's way, but not impossible (ala 2014 with TCU/Baylor.)

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I've been working on the "other teams need to clear the water" theory, and while I guess the Miami loss isn't so bad (one of the ACC teams is out?), that Alabama loss just muddies things up. So much easier is Alabama stays unbeaten and eliminates the rest of the SEC. Now we're looking at a better possibility of two SEC teams. A two-loss Ohio State as conference champ or a one-loss Alabama that didn't play in its conference title game. I'd go with Bama.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I've been working on the "other teams need to clear the water" theory, and while I guess the Miami loss isn't so bad (one of the ACC teams is out?), that Alabama loss just muddies things up. So much easier is Alabama stays unbeaten and eliminates the rest of the SEC. Now we're looking at a better possibility of two SEC teams. A two-loss Ohio State as conference champ or a one-loss Alabama that didn't play in its conference title game. I'd go with Bama.

Other than reputation I don't think Alabama is anymore deserving than OSU. They don't have any wins over top teams.On the other hand OSU would have wins over Penn St, Wisconsin (assumed otherwise this whole discussion is pointless) and Michigan St. Their loss to Oklahoma is no worse than 'Bama's loss to Auburn. The Iowa loss is a stickler though. All this being said I don't think they would be very successful in the CFP. Something about the way they win. Remind me of the Jackets.

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
Prepare yourself;

a. Ohio State will not be in the Playoffs

b. Ohio State vs Southern California, New Year's Day, Rose Bowl.

Reactions: pete goegan

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Prepare yourself;

a. Ohio State will not be in the Playoffs

b. Ohio State vs Southern California, New Year's Day, Rose Bowl.

Rose Bowl can't happen if OSU is not in the playoff as the Rose Bowl is hosting a semi-final game. I would say if the don't make it they will play an SEC team in the Outback Bowl. One of Georgia, Auburn or Alabama.

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
If Ohio State makes the playoff, cool. But if they don't, I'm not going to get mad. Hard to argue they deserve it with the two decisive losses they have on their resume. Even in their best wins -- PSU and UM -- they were pretty inconsistent and sloppy. Wisconsin would be a nice win, if OSU delivers. Certainly not unprecedented for a victory over the Badgers to vault OSU into the playoff...

But Fiesta Bowl vs. USC or ND (again) feels like a fair and enjoyable outcome for this season.

Can't see Ohio State trumping Alabama for a final spot if that's what the debate comes down to regardless of this season's results. If there is one current program out there with a bigger shadow and reputation than OSU, it's Bama. That will win out any debate whether the committee admits it or not. Plus, I think the committee cut OSU a break last year and it was rewarded with a non-competitive ass-kicking by Clemson. You can't tell me that won't be in the back of some of their minds. Again, whether they admit it or not.

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
If you asked me at the beginning of the season would it be a success if Ohio State beat Michigan and was Big Ten champs, my answer would be yes. I'm fine with a NYD bowl game.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Ohio State has a 50/50 shot at making the playoff if they beat Wisconsin. They will have more quality wins over ranked teams and a conference championship, which Alabama does not. Not to mention they did not play a team like Mercer in week 12 of the season...OSU losing to Oklahoma and Bama losing to Auburn is a wash. So what will the committee hold more negative value towards between Bama’s incredibly weak schedule/no conference title and OSU losing to Iowa?

Sure there is precedent that a 1-loss non conference champ makes it in based off of last year, but there is also a precedent set that if you lose late and don’t play for a title, you’re out. I don’t see how Bama is any different than 2015 OSU (lost last second to Sparty, did not play in the B1G championship). The committee will contradict itself no matter what this season - which is good because their decision should be fluid from season to season.

I also don’t see them putting two teams from the same conference in the playoff...

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
If you asked me at the beginning of the season would it be a success if Ohio State beat Michigan and was Big Ten champs, my answer would be yes. I'm fine with a NYD bowl game.

While I will never be disappointed with beating TTUN and winning a conference championship, I’ll be somewhat disappointed playing in a non-playoff bowl game. The New Years Day bowls are meaningless now. I’d rather have a shot at winning a national title (even if it means getting stomped on again in the semi final) than beating a mediocre USC/ND in a trivial exhibition game in the desert. I’m so tired of settling for the Fiesta Bowl.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Ohio State has a 50/50 shot at making the playoff if they beat Wisconsin. They will have more quality wins over ranked teams and a conference championship, which Alabama does not. Not to mention they did not play a team like Mercer in week 12 of the season...OSU losing to Oklahoma and Bama losing to Auburn is a wash. So what will the committee hold more negative value towards between Bama’s incredibly weak schedule/no conference title and OSU losing to Iowa?

Sure there is precedent that a 1-loss non conference champ makes it in based off of last year, but there is also a precedent set that if you lose late and don’t play for a title, you’re out. I don’t see how Bama is any different than 2015 OSU (lost last second to Sparty, did not play in the B1G championship). The committee will contradict itself no matter what this season - which is good because their decision should be fluid from season to season.

I also don’t see them putting two teams from the same conference in the playoff...

But that Iowa loss isn't any old loss. It was a 30-plus point ass kicking in the back half of the season. That is hard to write off in my opinion.

If any conference is going to get two teams into the playoff it is going to be the SEC. Guaranteed. Not saying it's right (I don't think it is). May not even be this year. But when it happens it is definitely going to be the SEC.

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
I understand what you are saying PD9. Do I want Ohio State to win the National Championship? Yes. But like the Blue Jackets, there are certain years, once you see enough of the various teams, you can tell if your team has what it takes to win it all. I think this season is a no. That is the reason for my opinion.

I want to see them win a league championship, play well in a bowl game and come back with a second straight recruiting bonanza, and be extra hungry to win it all next year. Missing the playoffs for a year should increase the drive and motivation.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
While I will never be disappointed with beating TTUN and winning a conference championship, I’ll be somewhat disappointed playing in a non-playoff bowl game. The New Years Day bowls are meaningless now. I’d rather have a shot at winning a national title (even if it means getting stomped on again in the semi final) than beating a mediocre USC/ND in a trivial exhibition game in the desert. I’m so tired of settling for the Fiesta Bowl.

As an OSU fan, I feel I have a pretty good life. I want to be in the playoff year-in, year-out too. But if a "down" year is two losses and beating someone like Notre Dame in a New Year's Day bowl and finishing in the top 10 in the country (if not top 5), I still sleep pretty soundly.

You truly cannot win them all. Not even Alabama wins them all (contrary to popular opinion).

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
But that Iowa loss isn't any old loss. It was a 30-plus point ass kicking in the back half of the season. That is hard to write off in my opinion.

If any conference is going to get two teams into the playoff it is going to be the SEC. Guaranteed. Not saying it's right (I don't think it is). May not even be this year. But when it happens it is definitely going to be the SEC.

I agree with you on the Iowa loss. It certainly doesn't look good. But neither does playing Mercer in week 12 of the season, or having the 46th ranked SOS. OSU's is 24th, and for comparison's sake, Wisconsin is 50th - and they have played literally no one to this date.

NCAA College Football SOS Rankings & Ratings - Basic

But why should the SEC get two teams in the playoff? That conference, from top to bottom, is not what it used to be. It's Bama/Auburn/UGA at the top, and the rest are god awful. If anything, the ACC should get two teams in this year (not going to happen, either).

I understand what you are saying PD9. Do I want Ohio State to win the National Championship? Yes. But like the Blue Jackets, there are certain years, once you see enough of the various teams, you can tell if your team has what it takes to win it all. I think this season is a no. That is the reason for my opinion.

I want to see them win a league championship, play well in a bowl game and come back with a second straight recruiting bonanza, and be extra hungry to win it all next year. Missing the playoffs for a year should increase the drive and motivation.

I agree with your assessment of this team. In fact, I think this team is worse than last year's. We can talk about recruiting/motivation for next year/whatever all we want, but I'd rather at least have a chance at winning something meaningful...because who knows, maybe the team will play over its head and get hot like the 2014 team did (although that team was loaded with NFL talent on both sides of the ball) and win it all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->