CBC & NHL To Make A Major Sports Announcement

dzd ncnfzd

Aug 8, 2007
Count me as someone who completely disagrees with you...

Long live the CBC!

ibid: me too, long live the CBC, and I miss SRC badly.

I feel the Canadiens and league are making a great mistake having the Habs as regional french and cable only. Look at what happened to the Expos, they used to be Canada's team until that other "Canada's team" entered the picture and got over promoted and exclusivelly promoted by the Toronto centric sports media.

To this day I hate the Blue-jays and the Trawna media for their role in killing the Expos. (Go Red-Sox)

Hopefully this new CBC deal means more Mtl english broadcasts.

ADAMS DIVISION RULES

A Good Flying Bird*

I don't know about anyone here but I find Bob Cole's dry attempt at competence entertaining.

At 70-plus-years-old, Cole is not what he once was. He's losing his ability to keep on top of the play. He's gets names wrong. He has more brain farts than he should.

And he's still better than anyone the US has put behind the mic.

Long live Cole.

These young hotshots on HNIC sound like they're more influenced by ESPN than HNIC. And that's a bloody shame.

Platapie

Oct 25, 2004
How about outside of Toronto, the little place everyone else calls Canada, where the other, insignificant 26 million people in this country live. I'd like to see the CBC's data for ratings of Leaf games compared to regional ones in other Canadian markets.

To be fair, you can really count most of Ontario as a Leaf haven, except of course for Ottawa/some Hab fans. Pushes the number up pretty high. Love or hate the Leafs, you can't argue their following-- though perhaps the way they've been playing lately will reduce some of the fervor.

dzd ncnfzd

Aug 8, 2007
To be fair, you can really count most of Ontario as a Leaf haven, except of course for Ottawa/some Hab fans. Pushes the number up pretty high. Love or hate the Leafs, you can't argue their following-- though perhaps the way they've been playing lately will reduce some of the fervor.

You are a bit off there on your estimation of the ubiquitous nature of Leafs Nation throughout Ontario, Eastern Ontario (Kingston east to Glengarry-Prescott-Russel etc) and northern Ontario (Timmins, Sudbury, Kirkland Lake etc) all regions where I have lived and worked are 30% at least Habs, and up yo 20% "anybody but leafs" fans.....Trawna is not the only team people "revere" out there even in the assumed CBC TO Hegemony backyard.

Dunno if I'm making sense...anyhow my previous post in this thread has disapeared, don't know why....(Mods don't tell you?)

ADAMS DIVISION RULES

mooseOAK*

Man is this old. There is a reason they are shown. Just like there is a reason teams like the Rangers and Flyers are always on NBC. If the CBC could get the same numbers showing the Sens and Flames or Habs they'd show them, don't you think? The Leafs just draw the biggest audience and are the networks largest cash cow, which the CBC needs to fund other departments.

Right, people think that the CBC should be run as a some sort of charity for the smaller franchises.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
ibid: me too, long live the CBC, and I miss SRC badly.

I feel the Canadiens and league are making a great mistake having the Habs as regional french and cable only. Look at what happened to the Expos, they used to be Canada's team until that other "Canada's team" entered the picture and got over promoted and exclusivelly promoted by the Toronto centric sports media.

To this day I hate the Blue-jays and the Trawna media for their role in killing the Expos. (Go Red-Sox)

Hopefully this new CBC deal means more Mtl english broadcasts.

ADAMS DIVISION RULES

What a bunch of BS.. do you also blame Toronto for cancer, the common cold and the price of gas? The Expos outcome happened because the people in Montreal didn't give a crap.

dzd ncnfzd

Aug 8, 2007
What a bunch of BS.. do you also blame Toronto for cancer, the common cold and the price of gas? The Expos outcome happened because the people in Montreal didn't give a crap.

Have I touched a nerve perhaps? Thou protests a bit too vehemently? The Expos lost their national broadcast and started to go downhill, thats a fact, though I agree that attendance and other support etc in Mtl did not help. (That big O...terrible place). If the team had continued to be promoted country wide as in the beginning (When I was in saskatchewan in the old days Expos was on CBC, till the TO 'jays joined....then its amazing how fast they were displaced by the new "canada's team"). My life experience on the matter....don't know were you live or have lived but if you are from TO and have never lived/experienced any other community your perspective is skewed.

Peace Man

ADAMS DIVISION RULES

nye

Mar 25, 2007
Siberia
Right, people think that the CBC should be run as a some sort of charity for the smaller franchises.

Umm, it is a publically funded broadcaster and this is Canada's game.

I was pleasently shocked last year when they put one Habs game on the national, English broadcast. It happened to be for Crosby and the Pens, and even that was a last minute decision.

For TO, they showed the Leafs.

I'm not surprised that people outside of Toronto and area are not too happy with it being assumed we want to watch the Leafs every chance we get. There're a hellufa lot of Habs fans on the prairies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad