CBC & NHL To Make A Major Sports Announcement

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Any estimates on the value of the contract?

The Star article posted above indicates the deal is worth $85M per season, an increase from the $60M CBC pays right now, which has given them full rights over all Canadian series in the playoffs. Under the new deal, TSN will have broadcast rights for "a limited number of games featuring Canadian-based franchises".

At over $85M per season, I'm wondering how this impacts CBC's bottom line profitability on the broadcasts. A $25M jump is quite high, and, I know I'll be upset if it ever turns out that the CBC is losing money on their broadcasts at all.

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
Question to those in the know.'

Is this money distributed to the Canadian teams or across the NHL? 100 mill/yr between 6 Canadian teams is'nt too bad. At the least it should be based on number of appearances on HNIC. i.e. pay per game played so US teams get a bit as well.
It does'nt make much sense to me that a team like Phoenix, Florida or Nashville who we have zero interest in seeing on TV (here in Canada) are getting the same share as the Canadian teams of this total money.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
Scott Moore of CBC was on Fan 590. He says they now have rights for VOD and online streaming of games, starting in the playoffs. He says they will stream playoff games and post game shows will be streamed live on cbc.ca after all games (since CBC will have to go to the news after games on TV).

At the end of the interview, Chuck Swirsky said he read that the NHL is extending the NBC deal, and Moore responded by saying that he didn’t ask Gary Bettman today but Moore expects something will be done in the very near future.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
This doesn't affect Habs fans at all. Since HNIC doesn't show Habs or Sens unless they play the Make Beliefs this is so Toronto-centric. Wassup ?
So what I watch Habs on RDS and then whatever west game. Take all the Anglos money ;)
CRTC should just ensure RDS is on basic cable across the country and solve the HNIC's love of the Make Beliefs :teach:

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto

Is this money distributed to the Canadian teams or across the NHL? 100 mill/yr between 6 Canadian teams is'nt too bad. At the least it should be based on number of appearances on HNIC. i.e. pay per game played so US teams get a bit as well.
It does'nt make much sense to me that a team like Phoenix, Florida or Nashville who we have zero interest in seeing on TV (here in Canada) are getting the same share as the Canadian teams of this total money.

That won't happen. MLB/NBA do it with the Toronto teams too.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.

No, the money is distributed to all 30 teams (same as Versus deal). TSN's new expanded deal is rumoured to be worth around 50 million. Together national TV deals in Canada could be around 150 million CAD per year or 5 million per NHL team next season. By contrast Versus is worth around 75 million USD next year or 2.5 million per NHL team. In essence, Canada, with only 20% of the teams, is subsidizing NHL hockey teams in the USA via television advertising dolllars gained from Canadian television vewiers. The only upside is if the NHL ever strikes it rich in the USA TV market, the Canadian teams would share in that -- that, however, looks extremely unlikely as US TV ratings have been in decline for the last ten years.

GHOST

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Does this mean six more years of Bob Cole fracturing players names on air? Nothing personal and all due respect to Cole but he needs to retire.

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
No, the money is distributed to all 30 teams (same as Versus deal). TSN's new expanded deal is rumoured to be worth around 50 million. Together national TV deals in Canada could be around 150 million CAD per year or 5 million per NHL team next season. By contrast Versus is worth around 75 million USD next year or 2.5 million per NHL team. In essence, Canada, with only 20% of the teams, is subsidizing NHL hockey teams in the USA via television advertising dolllars gained from Canadian television vewiers. The only upside is if the NHL ever strikes it rich in the USA TV market, the Canadian teams would share in that -- that, however, looks extremely unlikely as US TV ratings have been in decline for the last ten years.

GHOST

Wow thats beyond ridiculous. So we are essentially supporting and subsidizing weak sister teams in the US with our TV money?
the Oilers are looking to build a new 500 million dollar stadium here and we could really use the additional money rather than benig forced to dip into tax payer money. I think its ludicrous that the money is payed out equally. How does that make any sense. Why do Florida and Phoenix - who might not make a single appearance - on HNIC make an equal share to the Leafs or Habs who are on every week, or the Oilers who are on ~20 times a year. Ratings will plainly tell you the best results are acheived when 2 Canadian teams are playing or in the odd time when an interesting US team (Pittsburgh, Buffalo, NYR) are on.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
This doesn't affect Habs fans at all. Since HNIC doesn't show Habs or Sens unless they play the Make Beliefs this is so Toronto-centric. Wassup ?
So what I watch Habs on RDS and then whatever west game. Take all the Anglos money ;)
CRTC should just ensure RDS is on basic cable across the country and solve the HNIC's love of the Make Beliefs :teach:

I think it does. HNIC will no longer get to show a Leafs game every Saturday night, yet they must still show a double header. This means that Ottawa and Montreal will get NATIONAL CBC games, even in Toronto.

The other aspect is that TSN will get more Canadian games as well (right now I beleive they are restricted to 6 games per Canadian team). So expect more games involving Canadian teams on TSN.

The other other aspect is the playoffs. Currently, CBC has to split telecasts regionally if say Calgary and Edmonton or Ottawa and Toronto are playing at the same time. Under this deal, TSN would undoubtedly get one of these series and show it.

Which brings me to the other other other aspect. Currently, TSN, since they are limited in the number of Canadian games, shows a TON of Detroit, Buffalo and Pittsburgh games. The commentators, having shown so many of these games, treat them with kid gloves and they hype them up. Under this new deal, TSN will not be doing this, as Canadian team games will make up the bulk of TSN produced games.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
Does this mean six more years of Bob Cole fracturing players names on air? Nothing personal and all due respect to Cole but he needs to retire.

You forgot Harry damn good coach.
But it's like Harry........were' doin' the Sens and Pens .......nobody cares if they didn't vacuum the Make Beliefs dressing room in time to throw Sundin off his game. After all all we wanna know is .......will Alfredson be ready? Yes Harry, Kaberle is good but this game has a kid named Crosby..repeat after me Harry.......Crozzbee........say it alot. Leafs aren't playing tonight. That's the last 800 games you did.......
Yes, Harry Mr. CC will be in the booth to help you. Yah, he brought along cousin ginger with your cousin Ice.

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country

GHOST

ABC/ESPN had a 120M per season 5 year deal previously.

Also, the Canadian broadcast money is NOT distributed 100% evenly. Toronto airing 23 games would receive more money than say Vancouver with say 15. The reason being that the more games that air nationally on CBC, the less regional games the teams have to sell.

So there is a variance. X amount is divided equally among the 30 teams. But some money is dependent on what airs on CBC.

The same holds true for TSN. THe current TSN deal (year 4 of 5) allows TSN to air 2 (TWO) games per Canadian team nationally. TSN pays each team extra money for the additional games that air over the 2 included in their contract.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Wow thats beyond ridiculous. So we are essentially supporting and subsidizing weak sister teams in the US with our TV money?
the Oilers are looking to build a new 500 million dollar stadium here and we could really use the additional money rather than benig forced to dip into tax payer money. I think its ludicrous that the money is payed out equally. How does that make any sense. Why do Florida and Phoenix - who might not make a single appearance - on HNIC make an equal share to the Leafs or Habs who are on every week, or the Oilers who are on ~20 times a year. Ratings will plainly tell you the best results are acheived when 2 Canadian teams are playing or in the odd time when an interesting US team (Pittsburgh, Buffalo, NYR) are on.

PLEASE! Compared to the other league's contracts this TV deal is nothing but peanuts! It's not exactly subsidizing all American teams. You don't think these teams can't survive without the 5 million or whatever they get? That's enough to pay for what? An additional player?

Wetcoaster

I wonder what they will be charging for the internet feeds of their games. Seeing as any Canadian with a television set gets CBC for free, it'd be hypocritical for them to charge for an inferior product like internet TV.

Hypocritical is a synonym for the CBC, is it not????

Wetcoaster

This doesn't make sense.. Where are you getting this info? How can the NHL dictate the CBC's broadcast schedule?
Kind of goes like this.

You want the exclusive rights to Saturday HNIC?

Fine here is how you are going to broadcast the games.

You do not like it. Fine let me call Bell Globe Media and .....

You want me to cancel the call? So we are all in agreement, right????

See, no problem

Wetcoaster

Collective Bargaining Agreement?

Definition of Hockey Related Revenue?

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site

Basically it's an understanding between the US and Canadian teams that all national network money is split equally. If the NHL ever gets a big US network deal, which in the NHL's eyes will hopefully dwarf the CBC deal, the Canadian teams would be able to share equally in it. If the Canadian teams ever want a share of a big US network deal, the American teams expect to have a share of a CDN network deal.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
ABC/ESPN had a 120M per season 5 year deal previously.

Also, the Canadian broadcast money is NOT distributed 100% evenly. Toronto airing 23 games would receive more money than say Vancouver with say 15. The reason being that the more games that air nationally on CBC, the less regional games the teams have to sell.

So there is a variance. X amount is divided equally among the 30 teams. But some money is dependent on what airs on CBC.

The same holds true for TSN. THe current TSN deal (year 4 of 5) allows TSN to air 2 (TWO) games per Canadian team nationally. TSN pays each team extra money for the additional games that air over the 2 included in their contract.

It makes sense that a team like the Leafs would be compensated due to less regional games. Is there a public source (link?) to this info? I guess that woud mean that once the compensation is paid, the net sum left over would be divided amongst the teams equally. By the same reasoning, money would be subtracted from the Versus deal to compensate teams in the USA for having less regional game telecasts.

The ABC/ESPN deal was the high water-mark for the NHL at 120 million. They decided those deals were not worth renewing due to poor ratings. ESPN was considering a no-money down/revenue sharing deal. NBC pays nothing up front for its deal and it's not know how much (if anything) the NHL collects. All we know is that the Versus/NBC combined deals are somewhere north of 75 million USD.

GHOST

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB

We get an equal share of the American national contracts as well, and it was only a few short years ago when the ABC/ESPN deals were worth more than CBC/TSN.

These same American teams also subsidized the small market Canadian teams for years with the currency equalization plan, without which, the Oilers would probably have been the Houston Oilers today.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
We get an equal share of the American national contracts as well, and it was only a few short years ago when the ABC/ESPN deals were worth more than CBC/TSN.

These same American teams also subsidized the small market Canadian teams for years with the currency equalization plan, without which, the Oilers would probably have been the Houston Oilers today.

Didn't the currency equalization money come out of the pool of NHL league revenue, rather than individual NHL team revenue?

The NHL gets a much larger percentage of its league revenue from the Canadian market place than its 1/5th team share would suggest. In that sense NHL teams in the USA are subsidized by the Canadian market place. It looks to me like the currency equalization plan was just a give back to certain Canadian teams of some of the league revenue sourced in Canada -- i.e., a higher percentage cut than a mere 1/30th.

On another note (and slightly OT), it is critical for the NHL that teams such as Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa, Pittsburgh and Buffalo remain in the league. It does not take a genius to realize there is demand for professional hockey in those places. Take those teams out of the NHL and you have -- with the addition of markets like Hamilton, Hartford, Quebec City and Winnipeg (add a few Portlands, Houstons, etc.) -- the beginnings of a viable alternative professional league. There is a reason why the NHL chose to merge with the WHA and it was primarily to kill off the competition.

GHOST

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->